U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,252,402 times

Advertisements

Wow Jazz, seems like you are overly worried about all of this. Like it`s pending dooms day. Every place in the world goes through droughts. A place were I use to live had a really bad drought for a few years and everybody did survive... They didn`t go with out drinking water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Wow Jazz, seems like you are overly worried about all of this. Like it`s pending dooms day. Every place in the world goes through droughts. A place were I use to live had a really bad drought for a few years and everybody did survive... They didn`t go with out drinking water.
I've dealt directly with water issues in this region for decades. I know just exactly how serious it is--it's dead serious. As the saying goes, the history of the West is written in its water. What's coming promises to be a very ugly chapter in that history.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:42 PM

145 posts, read 330,458 times
Ignorance is bliss....hope to be dead before it gets too ugly. It will. Best to appreciate what we have today!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,620,461 times
Here we go.
Water Supplies In Western U.S. Threatened By Climate Change: Interior Department Report
RP

Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 PM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
Amy WJ wrote:
Ignorance is bliss
If that was true, there would be alot more happy people on this planet!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:26 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,839,172 times
Wink Southwest basically drier

Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona may point to past and future when it comes to water.

Phoenix has access to Colorado River water, Tucson does not. The residents of Phoenix are still often lavish with water use, while those in Tucson are heavy into yard xeroscaping and other water conservation measures. In time, and probably sooner than later, Phoenix may be forced to become more like Tucson. Las Vegas, NV is a good example why, as that city reliant on the Colorado River for about 90% of it needs is presently digging another, lower, outlet from Lake Mead. It has two others, but the water level of Lake Mead, about halfway down now, threatens to leave them high and dry if it drops much farther.

I was surprised that this article indicates greater precipitation for the upper Colorado River basin. My understanding that the Southwest, including northern Colorado, will actually become drier. Of course one major tributary, the Green River, extends well north into Wyoming, although even there everything may become drier.

As this article notes, however, is that while some areas will indeed become more wet, that what global warming insures is that all regions, whether wetter or drier, will experience more extremes in weather. It will be less temperate, more severe, with greater incidence of such things as tornadoes and hurricanes. In the mountains, such as in Colorado, less snow and more rain, and in harder, briefer storms with longer dry spells between. Aside from decrease in overall precipitation, water management designed for more moderate weather patterns will have difficulty adjusting. In any number of ways, one example being reservoirs which will silt up more frequently.

Here is one resource. Be sure and look towards the bottom at the 'Projected Spring Precipitation Change' map for the Southwest US:
Climate Change - California, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado

Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
CTC

661 posts, read 1,154,988 times
This is an old thread-the data for THIS years snow pack is very much different-almost every drainage is normal to above normal with several at +130%

The only place that appears to be hurting is the SW CO drainages

Annual Summary Data | Colorado NRCS

Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 PM

2,110 posts, read 4,051,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Amy WJ wrote:
Ignorance is bliss
If that was true, there would be alot more happy people on this planet!
I think most people who say that are misquoting 1984 - "Ignorance is Strength".

Old 04-26-2011, 05:00 PM

2,534 posts, read 5,819,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I think most people who say that are misquoting 1984 - "Ignorance is Strength".
Do you mean to say that George Orwell was misquoting Thomas Gray? His 1742 poem, "Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College," says, "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."

Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM

2,110 posts, read 4,051,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Do you mean to say that George Orwell was misquoting Thomas Gray? His 1742 poem, "Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College," says, "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."
Could be. I wasn't aware of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado