U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2010, 04:44 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,113,571 times
Reputation: 9066

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, let's just hope, as Governor Owens said a few years back, that "Colorado is on fire". That'll show those yuppies on the Front Range a thing or two.
I know you are saying this "tongue-in-cheek," but the fact is that a lot of ignorant residents disconnected from some very real and serious natural resource issues in this state will probably have to get a real good ol' fashioned a**-kicking from Mother Nature to wake them up to reality--the sooner the better, unfortunately, for the long-term health of Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,013 posts, read 98,876,691 times
Reputation: 31456
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I know you are saying this "tongue-in-cheek," but the fact is that a lot of ignorant residents disconnected from some very real and serious natural resource issues in this state will probably have to get a real good ol' fashioned a**-kicking from Mother Nature to wake them up to reality--the sooner the better, unfortunately, for the long-term health of Colorado.
You're right on both counts, but I hope we can avoid some crisis that will hurt a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,461,314 times
Reputation: 9292
Katiana wrote:
The winter isn't over till it's over.
You're right about that Yogi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,111,844 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
a lot of ignorant residents disconnected from some very real and serious natural resource issues in this state will probably have to get a real good ol' fashioned a**-kicking from Mother Nature to wake them up to reality...
What is it that makes you think that folks on the front range care about water conservation less than yourself or other folks in the high-country just because they don't rant about it daily online?

THINGS THAT HELP CONSERVE WATER AND OTHERWISE HELP PRESERVE OUR PRECIOUS ENVIRONMENT:
Conserve water usage around the house by taking reasonably shorter showers, not running the dish/clothes washers unless their full, and buying low flow appliances and toilets.

Landscape your yard following xeriscaping techniques, which means drought resistant plants, good drainage and just a small patch of natural, high country grass, if any at all. By doing this, you should need to hardly need to water at all, or not at all, even in a dry year. -- Colorado Water Wise - Home (http://www.xeriscape.org/ - broken link)

Washing your vehicle only when it really needs it, if at all. Even then, choose the cheap version which will only give you a couple passes, but still be enough to get the dust off. You could maybe conserve even more by going to a self-serve wash and just spraying it off briefly.

Give up golf, or try to find courses that don't irrigate (which probably don't exist in CO -- try Hawaii or Scotland).


THINGS THAT DON'T HELP CONSERVE WATER AND REALLY JUST ANNOY PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY TRYING TO DO THEIR PART:
Pointing the finger at everyone besides ourselves for all of our problems.

Incessantly complaining about transplants and development and ignoring the fact that everyone resident (no matter how long they've lived here) has an impact on the environment... But to a greater or lesser degree depending on how they choose to behave themselves while they're here.

Living in a bubble and thinking that Colorado's environmental and other challenges are unique.

Repeatedly pointing out the same problems over and over and over to anyone that will listen without even trying to suggest any hope for a lasting solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 AM
 
1,742 posts, read 2,620,713 times
Reputation: 1923
People from the front range and the rest of this country just don't get it. We just moved from Chaffee County where my neighbors decide to relocate based on ditch rights and availability of water. The water comes from the continental divide (our back yard). Most of our water is diverted to the front range so people can waste it.
I move here and people are watering their driveways, sidewalks and their lawn. Truth is we live in a semiarid plain. We should be xeriscaping. Xeriscaping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For example, look at how all the golf courses and pools have actually changed the climate of AZ. Stupid. RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,461,314 times
Reputation: 9292
treedonkey wrote:
Washing your vehicle only when it really needs it, if at all.
Due to the law of inertia ( or the path of least resistance ), my wife and I fall into the if at all category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 AM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,111,844 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Due to the law of inertia ( or the path of least resistance ), my wife and I fall into the if at all category.
Yeah, me too, at least for the last couple months. My dark blue car is now reddish-brown. Just doin' my part!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,113,571 times
Reputation: 9066
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
What is it that makes you think that folks on the front range care about water conservation less than yourself or other folks in the high-country just because they don't rant about it daily online?

THINGS THAT HELP CONSERVE WATER AND OTHERWISE HELP PRESERVE OUR PRECIOUS ENVIRONMENT:
Conserve water usage around the house by taking reasonably shorter showers, not running the dish/clothes washers unless their full, and buying low flow appliances and toilets.

Landscape your yard following xeriscaping techniques, which means drought resistant plants, good drainage and just a small patch of natural, high country grass, if any at all. By doing this, you should need to hardly need to water at all, or not at all, even in a dry year. -- Colorado Water Wise - Home (http://www.xeriscape.org/ - broken link)

Washing your vehicle only when it really needs it, if at all. Even then, choose the cheap version which will only give you a couple passes, but still be enough to get the dust off. You could maybe conserve even more by going to a self-serve wash and just spraying it off briefly.

Give up golf, or try to find courses that don't irrigate (which probably don't exist in CO -- try Hawaii or Scotland).


THINGS THAT DON'T HELP CONSERVE WATER AND REALLY JUST ANNOY PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY TRYING TO DO THEIR PART:
Pointing the finger at everyone besides ourselves for all of our problems.

Incessantly complaining about transplants and development and ignoring the fact that everyone resident (no matter how long they've lived here) has an impact on the environment... But to a greater or lesser degree depending on how they choose to behave themselves while they're here.

Living in a bubble and thinking that Colorado's environmental and other challenges are unique.

Repeatedly pointing out the same problems over and over and over to anyone that will listen without even trying to suggest any hope for a lasting solution.
First of all, I do all of things you list in the "Things that help" category. I also live in a community where my household water use--taking a bath, flushing the toilet, washing clothes, doing the dishes, etc.--is largely non-consumptive because my wastewater from those activities is returned by the sanitary sewer to the river system only a relatively few miles from where it was diverted--unlike all of the water that is transmountain-diverted and thus is 100% consumptive for the river basin from which it is drawn. My consumptive use water amounts to the small amount I use to irrigate my xeriscaped yard. So, you could say that I'm "walking the walk," not just "talking the talk."

The people who are "doing their part" shouldn't be annoyed by what I say--the problem is that so many people ARE NOT doing their part. And that is shown quite obviously if one takes one cursory look around the metro areas of the Front Range (and, frankly, elsewhere in Colorado, as well). That misbehavior may be exercised by "newbies" or long-term residents, but transplants from wetter areas have long been guilty to trying to remake this place into the lush, well-watered places they left--and that IS a big part of the problem. The developers and water buffaloes are also culpable because they--for their own selfish reasons--have helped to perpretrate the kind of development that is highly water-consumptive.

The isssue is not that there are not solutions. The issues is that most people don't want to hear the solutions because it would entail changing their lifestyle, modifying their consumption, and--horror of horrors--saying at some point that "enough is enough" when it comes to population growth.

And I really don't care that my repeating that "over and over" p***es people off. They need to keep hearing it until in sinks in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
 
20,314 posts, read 37,820,570 times
Reputation: 18105
Front Range cities are not water hogs. Statistics indicate that agriculture is the big water hog.

Last week on TV, the figure was quoted that 86% of COLO water is used for agriculture. The remaining 14% was for other uses, ALL OVER the state, not just the Front Range.

Here's a webpage stating that "More than 90 percent of Colorado's water is used to irrigate crops. Less than 1 percent of the water treated by public water systems is used for drinking and cooking. Approximately 10 percent of water stored in reservoirs is lost to evaporation or conveyance loss." (Note too that the 1% of COLO water treated by public water systems is a state-wide number).

Until someone has a valid source of statistics to the contrary, I find no basis to believe that the Front Range is a water hog.

If 86% of water is used to water crops, using a few percent to water lawns or wash cars is no abomination.

We irrigate farm crops in a state that is a semi-desert; which makes no better sense than watering lawns in a semi-desert.

The only conclusion that I will draw from all this is that the watering of BOTH lawns and crops needs better solutions.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,111,844 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And I really don't care that my repeating that "over and over" p***es people off. They need to keep hearing it until in sinks in.
I'll give you that, but who exactly are you speaking to? How many INDIVIDUALS do you know who are blatant water hogs? Why don't you speak to them face to face about your concerns? Or would you rather just cowardly scapegoat your concerns on the backs of millions of people you've never met who live in a region far away from you?

I agree with Mike. Wayyyy more water goes into agriculture on the plains and ranching in the high country than it does into the tulips and toilets of me and my 2 million neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top