U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM

7,755 posts, read 16,459,702 times

Advertisements

josseppie wrote:
My point is we can't really compare the challenges and solutions Colorado has with our water supply to the challenges and solutions they had as they are different since we are in a different time.
Let's face it my friend, we alreay ARE comparing their challanges with our challenges, even though you say we can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,360,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewest View Post
And that is where we disagree. Only technology is different. The challenges are not different.
I grant you the challenges are about the same but since the technology is better we can better address the challenges so its not a fair comparison to what happened to them and what could happen to Colorado.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Technology does not repeal the laws of nature. When our technology assaults the natural order long enough and egregiously enough, nature hits back. Unfortunately, our technical ability to really screw with the natural order has grown enormously, but with that has come the possibilities of our tinkering causing massive--and often unforeseen--natural disasters or events.

People with blind faith in technology are--quite frankly--extremely dangerous to have around. Their folly leads to things like the Titanic sinking in 1912, and the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico happening right now. Anytime we think we have "mastered" Mother Nature, she will eventually show us otherwise. And she bats last and can be a real b****.

Massive tinkering with nature's plumbing is one of those places where the consequences can be severe and unforgiving.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Technology does not repeal the laws of nature. When our technology assaults the natural order long enough and egregiously enough, nature hits back. Unfortunately, our technical ability to really screw with the natural order has grown enormously, but with that has come the possibilities of our tinkering causing massive--and often unforeseen--natural disasters or events.

People with blind faith in technology are--quite frankly--extremely dangerous to have around. Their folly leads to things like the Titanic sinking in 1912, and the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico happening right now. Anytime we think we have "mastered" Mother Nature, she will eventually show us otherwise. And she bats last and can be a real b****.

Massive tinkering with nature's plumbing is one of those places where the consequences can be severe and unforgiving.
I don't think anyone was implying that technology was the ONLY answer for Colorado's water issues, I know I was not. I was just saying that Colorado has more technology for water issues then the Egyptians so its not fair to compare what happened with them to what could happen to us.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:29 PM

7,755 posts, read 16,459,702 times
Josseppie wrote:
I don't think anyone was implying that technology was the ONLY answer for Colorado's water issues, I know I was not. I was just saying that Colorado has more technology for water issues then the Egyptians so its not fair to compare what happened with them to what could happen to us.
Fairness is in the mind of the beholder. There is no way to prove what is fair or not fair. IMO, you are wasting your time with your fairness argument. Not everyone has the same concept of fairness that you do, so just let it slide. Just accept that people will, and do compare whatever they want to, no matter who tells them that such a comparison cannot be made or that the comparison isn't fair.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Josseppie wrote:
Fairness is in the mind of the beholder. There is no way to prove what is fair or not fair. IMO, you are wasting your time with your fairness argument. Not everyone has the same concept of fairness that you do, so just let it slide. Just accept that people will, and do compare whatever they want to, no matter who tells them that such a comparison cannot be made or that the comparison isn't fair.
Ok. Let me pick another word as its not really about whats "fair" that was just a easy word to use.

The Egyptians had technology that was obviously thousands of years behind ours so the solutions they had to the same issues Colorado faces are going to be less capable of solving them. That has nothing to do with what is fair that is just a fact of life and what happens as societies improve their technology.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:54 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
City-bred coddled people can have unlimited faith in "technology," but those of us who have worked closer to the land and the natural environment much better understand technology's limits and fallibility. Our hubris and egos are much more humble in the face of Mother Nature. One of the great tragedies of modern American civilization is that the majority of people are completely disconnected from the natural world and completely fail to understand it. They assume that technology will solve every problem and are completely disconnected from the reality that it can't and it won't. Again, that is a combination of arrogance and ignorance that usually leads to really bad places.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:08 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,268,254 times
The real answer to water issues is higher rates. Raise the price enough and the problem will take care of itself.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
City-bred coddled people can have unlimited faith in "technology," but those of us who have worked closer to the land and the natural environment much better understand technology's limits and fallibility. Our hubris and egos are much more humble in the face of Mother Nature. One of the great tragedies of modern American civilization is that the majority of people are completely disconnected from the natural world and completely fail to understand it. They assume that technology will solve every problem and are completely disconnected from the reality that it can't and it won't. Again, that is a combination of arrogance and ignorance that usually leads to really bad places.
That is just as bad as people who think that technology will not solve any of Colorado's water issues.

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-06-2010 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 09:26 PM

66 posts, read 211,617 times
Why are there so many naysayers and doom-and-gloomers on this forum?

Are some on this forum just purposely agreeing with the doom-and-gloomers' theories in hopes to stop people from moving to Colorado? If this is the case, then it's not gonna work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado