Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:26 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times

Advertisements

Well, it's a town with old buildings, rather than a newly built ski area like Angel Fire with all the condos. I like that it's a cu-lde-sac & that it is steep valley so it can't be developed up the zing zang like Steamboat and other ski towns. I really love it for it's beauty:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e-colorado.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:48 PM
KGM KGM started this thread

11 posts, read 26,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Well, it's a town with old buildings, rather than a newly built ski area like Angel Fire with all the condos. I like that it's a cu-lde-sac & that it is steep valley so it can't be developed up the zing zang like Steamboat and other ski towns. I really love it for it's beauty:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e-colorado.jpg
It looks beautiful! How would you compare it to Angel Fire as far as cost of living? When was it built up? A lot of Angel Fire was built in the 70's.
By the way you are some creepy mindreader knowing that I was in Angel Fire with out me saying I was

Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM View Post
By the way you are some creepy mindreader knowing that I was in Angel Fire with out me saying I was
pssst - (Bongo's secretly a New Mexican who lurks on this forum).

Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM

LOL! We have a home in northern NM, near Angel Fire, so it's not hard to narrow it down to Angel Fire. Plus, it would probably be a bit harder to get an apartment for $600 at ski Taos.

I'm also a ol' mind-reading gypsy who has spent a lot of time in Colorado!

Angel Fire still has relatively cheap condos. I noticed some for sale for $70,000.

I'm seeing MPL condos in Telluride for more than twice that and UP!

Hey- we're moving back to our house in NM from Alaska. Tell me, how are the groomed skate skiing trails at Angel Fire? I have become an avid skate skier since I have been away.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 AM

I haven't actully been on those trails. I know that there are 3 trails total (1 beginner 1 intermediate and 1 advanced) for a total of 7 miles. Other than that I don't know much about them. Condos are relatively cheap here. The cheapest one we have in our listings is $49,900.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 PM

So what about Durango? What do you think of the mountain there?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I haven't actully been on those trails. I know that there are 3 trails total (1 beginner 1 intermediate and 1 advanced) for a total of 7 miles. Other than that I don't know much about them. Condos are relatively cheap here. The cheapest one we have in our listings is $49,900.
Thanks for your response! I'm looking forward to skate skiing there.

Good luck in your search. I was a gypsy as a young person, having lived in Steamboat, La Veta, Manitou, Alamosa, Trinidad, Trujillo Creek, and Aguilar. So I speak Coloradan a tiny bit LOL!

But my heart is & always will be a new mexican. The great thing about your present occupations is that you can always make another move to another ski area for work the following winter.

Did you mention Crested Butte? I like those old mining town buildings. So many options!
http://www.crested-butte-real-estate...ed_butte_1.jpg

Old 01-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
So what about Durango? What do you think of the mountain there?
My best friend lives in Durango & we spent a lot of time up there when I taught out on the Navajo Reservation.

The ski area, what is it now Ski Durango or Purgatory, is a ways from town. I fly down in the summer to backpack with my old backpacking friends different sections of the Colorado Trail out of Durango & I love that trail. Plus Durango has access to the best backpacking trails in the world. We also had some great backcountry ski trips out of that area.

Durango is a busy town with a lot going on, too busy for me but then that's just me. My friends have a ranchette in the country which is really nice.

Others can give you input about the mountain. I don't do lift lines, so I can't help you there. There is a skate skiing track, that I know. Durango can be expensive, that is for certain.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:04 PM

If there are busy lift lines, Durango is officially crossed off the list! I will have to look into Crested Butte. I had not previously thought about it. The picture of downtown looks very charming.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:06 PM

If anyone has more info on Wolf Creek, I would like that. I believe my husband and I will be taking a short trip there before Presiden't day weekend hits, so we can look at and snowboard that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado