U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
It is nice that you did it in a much better timing. We had some house equity loss by the moving, but you can't get everything sometimes. Same as yours, our family all love Colorado and are happy for the move so far even though we do miss Bay Area for something.
You're not alone in missing the Bay Area. I miss it everyday, even as I've grown to love Denver. Some day, when our kids are out on their own, my husband and I plan to go back. It's funny that of all the former Californians I know, only the folks from the northern part of the state seem to miss it. Not so much with the southern Californians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 AM

10,677 posts, read 28,491,129 times
My husband moved back to San Jose after 17 years here.

My parents, brother and sister all live there. I am still here. I have two kids in school here, he has one there.

I do miss the ocean. I like the quality of life and the pace better here.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:56 AM

136 posts, read 669,280 times
Sorry to hear this. People have different definitions on quality of life. Family to be together should have higher priority on life, IMO. We do like the slow pace of life in CO very much. We miss Bay Area, but to move back? it won't happen in the near future. Meanwhile, today's Bay Area has big differences from it was 15 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
My husband moved back to San Jose after 17 years here.

My parents, brother and sister all live there. I am still here. I have two kids in school here, he has one there.

I do miss the ocean. I like the quality of life and the pace better here.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM

377 posts, read 894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
It's funny that of all the former Californians I know, only the folks from the northern part of the state seem to miss it. Not so much with the southern Californians.
My husband talks about moving back to the L.A. area all the time. He's from Manhattan Beach which is just fabulous but ridiculously expensive. Between the money and the traffic, I can't imagine moving to southern California.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
My mistake. I shouldn't have spoken in generalities.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:45 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
You're not alone in missing the Bay Area. I miss it everyday, even as I've grown to love Denver. Some day, when our kids are out on their own, my husband and I plan to go back. It's funny that of all the former Californians I know, only the folks from the northern part of the state seem to miss it. Not so much with the southern Californians.
I'm not surprised!

Never been a fan of so cal. If we could have afforded the bay area we probably would have moved there to stay closer to family.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM

377 posts, read 894,200 times
Quote:
My mistake. I shouldn't have spoken in generalities.
Sorry - I wasn't trying to argue with you! I didn't mean it to come off that way. We've just been talking about the idea of moving to So.Cal. a lot lately, so it has been on my mind.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,028,691 times
Had a house under contract 2 years ago and the secondary leinholder killed the deal on the last day they could legally do it. That killed my house hunting for the year and then the following year I lost my job after coming out and househunting again, so CO is now out of the question(unless that is where I happen to find work).

I can say that after spending a month or two there over the past few years I really struggle with the fact that I cannot relocate my family there while my child is still young and instead being stuck in a cramped apartment with no yard and no dog and getting absolutely nothing for my outrageous California rent that would have equaled my mortgage in Parker, CO.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 AM
gn3

147 posts, read 358,376 times
I've lived in the Midwest, southern CA, northern CA and Colorado. Of these, I couldn't get out of southern CA fast enough, but that's just me. I hated everything about it. Even the weather - the big selling point - I found so monotonous as to be boring. Urban northern CA has problems with pollution, traffic and other issues, but rural northern CA is breathtakingly beautiful and very temperate. The rural Sonoma coast would be my #1 choice of places to live in this country, nestled somewhere in the mountains a few miles from the coast; there are perhaps more beautiful places further north, but on the Sonoma coast there is a lot more sunshine. But it is expensive there and jobs are scarce. It's something I'll consider as I get older and the elevation and cold of CO start to wear on my body. But for now, CO is a great place to be young.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:26 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
I still miss Southern California! Love the weather, and something about it just seems like home. But I have to remind myself why we left - the horrible traffic, we never would have been able to own an house, crazy neighbors...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or