U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM

621 posts, read 912,971 times

Advertisements

Not being from California, the only input I can give you is that it seems that Californians moving into Colorado kind of comes in waves. Right now, it doesn't seem that many are coming in. We're seeing more from the East Coast from what I can tell, right now.

I know many people who live here from California, but their happiness varies. I know one couple in particular where the husband LOVES it here and the wife HATES it here. They came from the LA area. It's a mixed bag. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,632,290 times
Came to CO from CA, though I never considered myself a "Californian"...I hated it there. Was only there for the work in the hope that I could "get ahead." Nothing could be further from the truth. Boring weather, impossible to catch up financially and miserable quality of life as a result.

Is CO better? Well, it's still a struggle, that's for certain, and in some ways work is harder to find out here (strange as that may sound.) On the other hand, I love the weather, the parks, the quality of life and frankly I just think it's beautiful out here, both mountains and plains. Turn your head west and the Rocky's beckon, turn east and you can watch those amazing thunderheads forming over the grasslands.

Do I miss California? Nope. Kinda knew I wouldn't the day I moved there. Would other people? Probably. Maybe not right now while times are tough, but some people just like the lifestyle, the weather, the activities, family, etc...

I won't go back. I like it fine right here. If I ever left Colorado, I already know I'd miss it.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,130,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
I moved to CO from Bay Area about six monthes ago. I'd like to see how other Californian are doing here, but I didn't read any Californian moving to CO related threads for quite a while. Is this because less and less Californians come to CO or they just live here too comfortable to show up on the forum?
Purchased my home here in July 07, moved here in October 08, so... 14 months and counting. I miss CA in some ways but mostly I don't...
Things I do and don't miss about Silicon Valley

As for the reduction in 'CA to CO' posts, some of the speculations about that may be correct, but I can only speak for myself... I've stopped posting in most of the transplantation threads (especially the 'CA to...' ones) because I've grown tired of how contentious they get and I've pretty much given up trying to reason with one who insist on blaming their problems on Californians (both current and former).

Old 01-25-2010, 12:26 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,359,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
I know one couple in particular where the husband LOVES it here and the wife HATES it here. They came from the LA area. It's a mixed bag. :/
I'll bet that's common. He's living out his cowboy/mountain man fantasies while she's bored to death.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:43 PM

9,077 posts, read 15,526,167 times
Default Bay to Denver

I might be one...but unlike the others I would rather stay in CA, but love my job...

I live in the SF BayArea and love it here, but my company has been trying to move me to Denver for the last 2 years (working virtual now). I love my job and have worked hard to be where I am, I don't really want to leave the company or the Bay.

Not sure what to do really, I like Denver and I know it is affordable and beautiful. My hesitance is mostly because I think I will really hate driving in snow and having no ocean (I have always lived near a coast and like snow for sports only). It seems inevitable that I will be moving this year though, if I stay.

I could really use some pro/con(s) and neighborhoods where there are diverse cultural things like there are here in the Bay. Is there anything close to San Mateo or Santa Clara County there? 50/50 Right/Left politically, diverse racially, mass transit, close to trails...but not rural.

I don't want to be another Californian that compares CO to CA, but I really need the straight info here to realize if I will like it there.

p.s. Now I am wondering if I need to start my own thread after typing all of that...

Last edited by Mach50; 01-25-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,130,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
For those who have moved from the Bay (and others), I could really use some pro/con(s)... I don't want to be another Californian that compares CO to CA, but I really need the straight info here to realize if I will like it there.
Did you go to that link I posted three posts above this one? it was an extensive pro/con comparison between CA (Bay Area) and CO (Front Range) that I posted after living here for about one year.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM

9,077 posts, read 15,526,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Did you go to that link I posted three posts above this one? it was an extensive pro/con comparison between CA (Bay Area) and CO (Front Range) that I posted after living here for about one year.
I am reading through it right now, looks like you have hit on many of my exact worries.

Now one thing going for Denver in my case is that I have family in Texas and Florida that I will be closer to if I move there. So that's an added pro.

Something in the "not too sure" pile is that we are a Hispanic American family and a little worried that Denver folks will not be as tolerant to other cultures. I hope they don't think all Mexicans are gardeners there, I have heard some bad things about stereotypes.

p.s. your curry comment I empathize with though lol

Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 PM

137 posts, read 350,745 times
The other day I was talking to a friend that owns a rental company and he said a lot of the California's that are coming to Colorado right now are not coming with wealth, but with poor credit, large debts and bankruptcy (you could say this for a lot of places). I think this is a turn from the past, when many California's came to states like Colorado with a lot of money to spend on RE due to the price of housing in the past. I know this is a general comment, but it does seem to be a growing trend at this time.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:39 PM

621 posts, read 912,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'll bet that's common. He's living out his cowboy/mountain man fantasies while she's bored to death.
That's EXACTLY it!

She's making fun of him out on his tractor doing stuff and she sits and talks the good ole' days when she did this and that...and actually cried...literally cried, when she saw the small size of the Nat. Food Store.

I think it's a strain on them both. Ahh.....love....

Old 01-25-2010, 03:31 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,359,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
That's EXACTLY it!

She's making fun of him out on his tractor doing stuff and she sits and talks the good ole' days when she did this and that...and actually cried...literally cried, when she saw the small size of the Nat. Food Store.

I think it's a strain on them both. Ahh.....love....
We may be onto something big here. "Real (Bored) Housewives of La Plata County".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or