Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:51 PM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
My husband talks about moving back to the L.A. area all the time. He's from Manhattan Beach which is just fabulous but ridiculously expensive. Between the money and the traffic, I can't imagine moving to southern California.
YES! I can attest to this. I lived in Redondo Beach and worked in Culver City, so my LA experience was really more of a South Bay experience, which, in my opinion, is a totally different feel from "urban" LA or the Inland Empire.

I love Denver and can agree that the quality of life is WAY higher here, but I do admit to missing the ocean and THE FOOD! Seriously, there are so many good places to eat in the South Bay -- types of food that are fairly commonplace there, but probably considered somewhat exotic anywhere else. I've found some good places in Denver, but it really isn't the same.

I don't regret my move one bit, but I'm also not one of the people who doesn't miss Southern California in some respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 03:07 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
YSeriously, there are so many good places to eat in the South Bay -- types of food that are fairly commonplace there, but probably considered somewhat exotic anywhere else.
Like what?

My wife and I were just discussing that, and we realized that what we really miss is our old favorite restaurants around the South Bay. You see, it's the restaurant themselves we miss and not so much any particular style of food that we just can't get here. We'd probably feel the same way if we were here for decades and then moved there. Aside from specific restaurants, here are the things we really miss, in order:
1) Live Dungeness Crab - have yet to find it at any market around here, even at an un-affordable price.
2) Farm-Fresh Produce - I'm not talking about Farmers' Markets int he summertime that offer local favirts. Those are great but I've yet to find a true produce market that offers all kinds of fresh produce year-round.
3) Thai Food and Indian Food - Sorry, Thai Basil doesn't cut it. We did find an Indian Market in Springs, so we've been able t get our fix that way, but I've been unab;e to find it when dining out. Admittedly, though, I've not looked that hard, esp. not in Denver.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 AM

621 posts, read 1,053,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
We may be onto something big here. "Real (Bored) Housewives of La Plata County".
Noooo!!

Ouch my head hurts thinking about it.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I could really use some pro/con(s) and neighborhoods where there are diverse cultural things like there are here in the Bay. Is there anything close to San Mateo or Santa Clara County there? 50/50 Right/Left politically, diverse racially, mass transit, close to trails...but not rural.
SE Denver, South Aurora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Something in the "not too sure" pile is that we are a Hispanic American family and a little worried that Denver folks will not be as tolerant to other cultures. I hope they don't think all Mexicans are gardeners there, I have heard some bad things about stereotypes.
I am a big fan of yours, but this comment is ridiculous (and I mean this in the nicest way possible ).

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Anybody, white, black, brown, red, yellow, green, or polka-dot can make it in Denver. Metro Denver as a whole is very tolerant of other races/cultures (if anything, it's a little less tolerant when it comes to class IMO).

IMO, it's a very slight step down from Southern CA (I don't have much experience with Northern CA), so you'll probably get one ignorant comment every six months to a year. My last ignorant comment came from a co-worker, who assumed that I eat Mexican food on Thanksgiving for some reason. I laughed it off and said that I eat Mexican food every other day of the year.

I'm sure that you are aware of Denver's relatively large Hispanic population. There are Hispanics cut from every cloth here, poor, rich, and middle class. A good portion of CO's Hispanic families have been in CO for generations.

You'll be more than fine. There is a tolerant world outside of that SF bubble, trust me.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
I spent a total of approximately 7 years in various CA locations ( Mill Valley...enjoyed it, Calistoga...enjoyed it, Rancho Palos Verdes...hated it, Murrieta Hot Springs...love-hate ) back in the '80s. I was glad to leave in '86, and I haven't missed it. I still enjoy visiting friends in the general Lake Tahoe area...but I have no desire to live in California again. The Colorado lifestyle is a better fit for me at this time in my life.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
SE Denver, South Aurora.

I am a big fan of yours, but this comment is ridiculous (and I mean this in the nicest way possible ).

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Anybody, white, black, brown, red, yellow, green, or polka-dot can make it in Denver. Metro Denver as a whole is very tolerant of other races/cultures (if anything, it's a little less tolerant when it comes to class IMO).

IMO, it's a very slight step down from Southern CA (I don't have much experience with Northern CA), so you'll probably get one ignorant comment every six months to a year. My last ignorant comment came from a co-worker, who assumed that I eat Mexican food on Thanksgiving for some reason. I laughed it off and said that I eat Mexican food every other day of the year.

I'm sure that you are aware of Denver's relatively large Hispanic population. There are Hispanics cut from every cloth here, poor, rich, and middle class. A good portion of CO's Hispanic families have been in CO for generations.

You'll be more than fine. There is a tolerant world outside of that SF bubble, trust me.
Thanks David, that's good to hear. I have some friends and cousins who live in Denver and Fort Collins/Greeley who say they think California, Florida and Texas are much more tolerant than Colorado towards Hispanics. I specifically haven't had any issues there though.

I also have a good friend who is of Irish heritage married to a Persian girl there in Washington park and they say that once in a while their kids do get taunted in school about being mixed (terrorist comments)...but kids are kids. They also get stared at from time to time. Yes I do work with some Hispanics from Denver, although they are Puerto Rican that moved up from Florida, they never have anything bad to say, except that is gets very cold.

I guess everything here in the Bay is so easy when it comes to racial tolerance that we get a little apprehensive about a place we hear about negatively. Especially when it comes to my daughter.

Good to hear you think it is a non-factor though.

(haha about the Mexican food on Thanksgiving..I think I have received that one too...)

Last edited by Mach50; 01-26-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 11,995 times
I'm looking to move my family to Colorado this summer...probably July.

I will continue to work for my California company, just do so remotely.

We are looking at south Aurora, but I'm not sure. The CCSD is there and seems to be where everyone wants their kids to go.

I have family in Pueblo but my wife absolutely does NOT want to live there. We were there last summer visiting.

This is going to be hard. Aurora's crime rate is off putting ... I currently live in downtown San Jose and crime is just something we never have to worry about.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:44 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
I moved here from Sunnyvale. Crime stats are similar. Just ask the police department.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:49 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjones2001 View Post
Aurora's crime rate is off putting
Aurora is a big city. The bad parts drive up the overall crime rate for the city but you can live far enough away from those areas that it doesn't affect you.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjones2001 View Post

This is going to be hard. Aurora's crime rate is off putting ... I currently live in downtown San Jose and crime is just something we never have to worry about.
I'd reckon San Jose is a lot rougher than Aurora.

Aurora was lookin' scruffy back around 10 years ago especially around Aurora Mall, but a lot of that has been cleaned up.

Probably the only area of Aurora that puts me off at night is north of the Mall to I-70, other than that a lot of Aurora is bog standard suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado