U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 PM

136 posts, read 669,431 times

Advertisements

I moved to CO from Bay Area about six monthes ago. I'd like to see how other Californian are doing here, but I didn't read any Californian moving to CO related threads for quite a while. Is this because less and less Californians come to CO or they just live here too comfortable to show up on the forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:52 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,220,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
I moved to CO from Bay Area about six monthes ago. I'd like to see how other Californian are doing here, but I didn't read any Californian moving to CO related threads for quite a while. Is this because less and less Californians come to CO or they just live here too comfortable to show up on the forum?
I'm speculating here, but with the downturn in the housing market, there are probably not too many people that can afford to sell in California and move to Colorado. With the job market the way it is, those that are employed probably want to stay that way, and those that aren't, probably can't afford to move. I would imagine things are this way in more places than just Colorado.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,021,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I'm speculating here, but with the downturn in the housing market, there are probably not too many people that can afford to sell in California and move to Colorado. With the job market the way it is, those that are employed probably want to stay that way, and those that aren't, probably can't afford to move. I would imagine things are this way in more places than just Colorado.
That's pretty much where we're at right now. We managed to get out from under our white elephant before it crushed us and now we're putting our finances in order while we wait for the economy to recover. We're both still fully employed here in CA and leaving right now for a state where we'd have no income isn't too smart as we don't have enough cash yet to finance that. Even if we did, who wants to burn through 6-12 months or more of cash while trying to find a job?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
The outflow of people from California is way down, not just to COLO but to all states; per a news article I saw a month or so ago.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:36 AM

857 posts, read 1,347,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The outflow of people from California is way down, not just to COLO but to all states; per a news article I saw a month or so ago.
Did this happen to mention other Foreclosure States such as AZ, NV, OR, and WA? People from AZ are moving to CO either short term of long term.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:17 AM

4,330 posts, read 4,357,227 times
Default Trapped like Rats!

One pernicious result of the bursting real estate bubble is immobility. Homeowners with negative equity have neither the means nor the desire to bring cash to the closing just to get out from their sinking house values. Instead, they are waiting it out, hoping that the trend will flip the other way.

Unfortunately, hope is a four letter word. My fear is the way out is remeniscent of the 30s stock market. The stock market did not re-attain its 1929 peak until 1954. That's 25 years. Few people will have the ability or desire to remain put for that duration.

We are about to become a nation of renters.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,023,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
One pernicious result of the bursting real estate bubble is immobility. Homeowners with negative equity have neither the means nor the desire to bring cash to the closing just to get out from their sinking house values. Instead, they are waiting it out, hoping that the trend will flip the other way.

Unfortunately, hope is a four letter word. My fear is the way out is remeniscent of the 30s stock market. The stock market did not re-attain its 1929 peak until 1954. That's 25 years. Few people will have the ability or desire to remain put for that duration.

We are about to become a nation of renters.
Yep but that's what 30 year mortgages could entail. I don't think a lot of people when signing on the dotted line realize or want to realize what 30 years means.

For a lot of people, I think they thought they could continuously flip houses every few years banking huge profits along the way.

My parents got caught in a downturn in the 1980's and ended up renting their house out for 15 years until selling. You do what you have to do.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:29 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,744,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
We moved to the Denver area from the Central Valley 2 years ago. We're doing well. We timed it pretty well with the housing market. When we moved housing costs were higher in Fresno and lower in Denver. Now they've reversed. If we hadn't left then, we'd still be there. Loving the cleaner air and gorgeous mt views. How are you doing?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,505,876 times
Three years and counting. Doing great!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:54 AM

136 posts, read 669,431 times
It is nice that you did it in a much better timing. We had some house equity loss by the moving, but you can't get everything sometimes. Same as yours, our family all love Colorado and are happy for the move so far even though we do miss Bay Area for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
We moved to the Denver area from the Central Valley 2 years ago. We're doing well. We timed it pretty well with the housing market. When we moved housing costs were higher in Fresno and lower in Denver. Now they've reversed. If we hadn't left then, we'd still be there. Loving the cleaner air and gorgeous mt views. How are you doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or