U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:05 PM

431 posts, read 2,508,918 times

Advertisements

I never have had a problem with people moving here from Calif. Some are too much into this entitlement thing. But the Texans are a different breed all together. I get so tired of hearing "I'm from Texas and proud of it!" So why are they here? If you drive in the mountain areas and find a fancy fence and keep out sign posted all over and a name or ranch name every other post. You can bet your bottom dollar they are from Texas. Texas has very little public lands. They come here to enjoy ours and block access to it in every way they can. Or just plan lie about an access trail to keep it for themselves. They have no idea how to care for our back country or the trails. Nope we are not crazy about Texans. I know there are some good ones but those are not the ones we seem to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 10:23 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,673,936 times
I had read an article once about this, and it made reference to the face that in Denver, the anxious feelings about Californians was because they were making a killing selling their real estate in CA, then moving to CO where it was cheaper. They were able to buy HUGE homes compared to what they had back home, but in return it started to drive real estate prices up, and CO locals then (making the same incomes which were not increasing), had harder times affording the homes. This happened on a larger scale in Portland, Oregon though - I've heard for a while Portlanders HATED that home prices literally doubled in that area when the Californians started migrating in larger numbers up there.

I know from a friend who has moved to Denver that they're having rapid growth issues, much like we had here in Atlanta for so long (and still do). We literally have averaged between 50,000 to up to 95,000 people per YEAR move into the metro Atlanta area since 1980, and it's still going on - Denver doesn't quite have that many, but I had read where it's something like 35,000-40,000 people a year moving over there each year - that a LOT to keep up with (roads, infrastructure, etc). My guess would be that like here, the tension isn't with Californians specifically, just the sheer number of people in general moving there!

It can and does have a profound effect on area living though. For example, when I moved to Atlanta in 1984 there were 2 million people in the metro area. People in this region would NEVER consider living in a condo or a townhouse, and would never consider paying $250,000+ for a high-end home. Well, here we are a bit more than 20 years later, and the metro area now has 4.2 million people, and after the Olympics, many of the newcomers are now coming from New York, L.A., San Fran, and other high market areas. There are literally dozens of new high-rise condo buildings being built here now, and it's not uncommon to see subdivisions on every corner with homes in the $400,000 to $900,000 range (a new one bedroom condo can go for as much as $329,000)- and they all sell out. Locals aren't buying them... transplants from other areas are.

My guess is that in about 5-10 years Denver's growth will catch up to what's happening here, and you all will start seeing more of the condo/townhouse and expensive subdivision stuff than you even are now there - maybe due to Californians moving there, but from other areas, too. Get readyyyyyy... it's a long ride.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 AM

77 posts, read 306,566 times
We are currently in Southern Cal and hate it(moved here last October). We are in the process of moving back to Colorado (when my husband can get a new job).

Southern Cal is dirty, noisey, and people are rude. We miss the Colorado lifestyle and made a terrible mistake by moving. Colorado is a better place to raise our kids.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:29 PM

10,697 posts, read 28,619,889 times
will you move back to CR? What field is your husband in?

I moved here from northern Cali. Much nicer here for them.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:00 PM

77 posts, read 306,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver
will you move back to CR? What field is your husband in?

I moved here from northern Cali. Much nicer here for them.
If my husband gets a job in the Denver area, we will most likely move back to Castle Rock. We really liked it there.

My husband is a Land Planner, but his degree is as an Landscape Architect.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:44 PM

23 posts, read 70,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler
We are currently in Southern Cal and hate it(moved here last October). We are in the process of moving back to Colorado (when my husband can get a new job).

Southern Cal is dirty, noisey, and people are rude. We miss the Colorado lifestyle and made a terrible mistake by moving. Colorado is a better place to raise our kids.

That is exactly why I want to move to CO. I have lived in CA my entire life and it have gone completely to the dogs. I think my kids deserve better.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:41 PM

150 posts, read 333,709 times
I have yet to see a state that welcomed Californians with open arms. I got stuck once in Oregon several years ago when I-5 washed out with mud (both north and south). After a couple days they created a route called the "Californians Go Home" route just to get us Californians out of there. They had road signs there that read "Don't Californicate Our State."

There were also stories about Californians who moved to Idaho and weren't welcomed with open arms, to say the least. Many went back to CA. I don't think this situation is unique to any one state. There are just an awful lot of people who live in CA who are likely to move at some point. I did! Just need to make sure you're moving *to* something, leaving everything else behind.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:19 AM

827 posts, read 4,556,411 times
I think the main trouble Californians get the bad rap is a few Californians who cause the problem. A good example, my brother lives in Durango. Ok, down the road a Californian couple, no kids, bought a farm house which I remember is a two story old cute house with wrap around porch and they tore it down and even cut down three very old oak trees that had been there as long as I can remember and are going to build a huge "monster" home. My brother was appalled. They have three cars, a Cadillac, a Beamer and a brand spanking new dodge Hemi. That is why the rest of Californians get the bad rap. Most Californians aren't that way but it is the few that hurt the many.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:39 PM

23 posts, read 70,047 times
Yes Crackerjack I believe you. They moved from CA but brought it with them. Why bring it with you. Didn't they leave there for a reason. I know I'm leaving for a reason. And I have no intention of bringing it with me. I'm tired of everyone being so materialistic and "keeping up with the Jones" I want to live where I know who my neighbors are. Where my kids can play outside and I don't have to worry that they will be kidnapped. Here it is horrible. I don't even feel like I can allow my kids the leave the yard let alone ride their bike around the block. I can't wait to move!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:59 PM

827 posts, read 4,556,411 times
Ncbjab, you have the right motives and you will do fine in Colorado. People in Colorado will accept you having that kind of feeling and attitude. They are really nice people. I live in Phoenix and it is the same thing like CA; who got the best facelift, who has the biggest house, who knows the highest high roller, etc. so I know what you are talking about. Tired of it and the heat too. I also love that in Colorado, they will just open up and in no time, you have friends. Can't wait to move to Colorado too! Good Luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or