U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM

1,778 posts, read 3,482,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
Thats not the norm atleast in Florida. Why would they make her stay way past her shift? Most charge nurses here dont even deal with the patients directly. If theres not enough patients they dont have/need a charge nurse? Doesnt make sense.

Well that is the norm for Oklahoma. They have two charge nurses for the whole hospital and if a shift is slow the one on stay and the other doesn't come in. No it is quite common in Oklahoma to post yourself off and then post yourself back in. I know my daughter works generally 13hour shifts not 12 but then gets called off once in awhile. No good when your paying for child care. By the way in her hospital and I know in the one by me, an RN does about everything there is. They have very few CNAs and the poor LPNs probably do more than they should too. My daughter loves being a nurse so I guess that counts for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:59 PM

85,019 posts, read 98,876,691 times
Men are still only 5.7% of all registered nurses, despite much hype about "men in nursing".

More Men Entering Nursing Degree Programs - Healthcare Programs

In fact, out of all registered nurses nationally, only about 5.7 percent are men.

Interestingly, when I was licensed in Pennsylvania, I got a newsletter a couple times a year that listed the nurses who had had licenses suspended/revoked for any violation of the Nurse Practice Act. There were far more than 6% of men involved in these issues, sometimes close to 1/2 were men.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:29 PM

94 posts, read 453,995 times
Default Just my 2 cents .....

Everything Katiana has said is true, or at least to what I have experienced. To the original poster: If you already have experience, you may find it a little easier to find a nursing job in Northern Colorado. However, I know many, many RN's that have had 2 plus years of experience when moving out here that have complained about the Fierce Competition. Not saying that you won't land a job....just be prepared to be searching for 3-6 plus months before you do land that nursing job. Good Luck!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,701,336 times
I find all of this curious....my wife made 1 phone call to the VA in Aurora and was hired as a Traveling RN on the spot. Granted she does have a ton of experience in the ER and ICU....but one phone call ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-08-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I find all of this curious....my wife made 1 phone call to the VA in Aurora and was hired as a Traveling RN on the spot. Granted she does have a ton of experience in the ER and ICU....but one phone call ?

Regards
Gemstone1
Good for her! Does she travel around to different VA hospitals?

Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 PM

The VA is her preferred choice, but she works the public sector as well, and has the same sort of success, either through travel agencies, or by picking up the phone and calling the unit director at any given facility. The opportunities in Travel Nursing are endless....all you need is experience.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-09-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
The VA is her preferred choice, but she works the public sector as well, and has the same sort of success, either through travel agencies, or by picking up the phone and calling the unit director at any given facility. The opportunities in Travel Nursing are endless....all you need is experience.

Regards
Gemstone1
I still don't understand what you're saying. Is your wife doing travel nursing?

Old 05-09-2010, 08:51 PM

Yes

Old 05-09-2010, 09:00 PM

So there are lots of jobs available in travel nursing. That's good to know.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM

531 posts, read 1,228,233 times
nursing job market in CO - I know a couple new grads who are having a really hard time finding acute care jobs. There are lots of nsg schools in Denver so new grads are most likely a 'dime a dozen.' Most likely it is a different story/easier if you already have experience. Apparently Denver hospitals can be picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado