U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,701,336 times

Advertisements

"I know a couple new grads who are having a really hard time finding acute care jobs"
....I can understand that. Acute/critical care is probably one of the toughest areas in nursing...you have to think quickly, assess your patients needs and act accordingly. I'd wager 1 in 20 new grads have the critical assessment skills to be able to work in this fast paced arena. As an ED, would you hire a new grad or a seasoned Critical Care Nurse ?
Two Denver hospitals have just announced huge expansion plans, plus the new VA facility...maybe the job market will improve soon.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM

85,019 posts, read 98,876,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I know a couple new grads who are having a really hard time finding acute care jobs"
....I can understand that. Acute/critical care is probably one of the toughest areas in nursing...you have to think quickly, assess your patients needs and act accordingly. I'd wager 1 in 20 new grads have the critical assessment skills to be able to work in this fast paced arena. As an ED, would you hire a new grad or a seasoned Critical Care Nurse ?
Two Denver hospitals have just announced huge expansion plans, plus the new VA facility...maybe the job market will improve soon.

Regards
Gemstone1
Acute care is generally defined as hospital in-patient nursing. That's where all us "old timers" were advised to start out. It's not necessarily ICU or ED. I know one new grad who's having a heck of a time finding a job in Denver, and one who's having trouble in Chicago. It's a jungle out there.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,482,205 times
My daughter who has been a charge nurse in a small hospital, and has done it all with lots of experience in all areas of a small hospital, wants to move to Colorado (Ft. Collins). I've always thought nurses (RN with a 4 year degree) would have an easy time finding full time jobs. It is looking like from this forum that it is not. Why?

Old 07-09-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
My daughter who has been a charge nurse in a small hospital, and has done it all with lots of experience in all areas of a small hospital, wants to move to Colorado (Ft. Collins). I've always thought nurses (RN with a 4 year degree) would have an easy time finding full time jobs. It is looking like from this forum that it is not. Why?
Because there are many others like her. My advice to her would be to move to Denver, where there are more nursing opportunities.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:21 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,292,026 times
That's not the only reason. Many, many hospitals are in a financial crunch. They are looking to contain rising costs and have to deal with Wall Street investment losses whereas in the past investments padded their bottom lines rather than decreased their bottom lines.

Many medical facilities are in a bad budget crunch and are actually reducing hours, laying off workers and making workers do more work for the same pay. (And needless to say they are not hiring new people either.)

Old 07-10-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
That's not the only reason. Many, many hospitals are in a financial crunch. They are looking to contain rising costs and have to deal with Wall Street investment losses whereas in the past investments padded their bottom lines rather than decreased their bottom lines.

Many medical facilities are in a bad budget crunch and are actually reducing hours, laying off workers and making workers do more work for the same pay. (And needless to say they are not hiring new people either.)
True, but it's always been this way for CO. At least, the last 30 years have been tight for nursing jobs here.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 AM

12,848 posts, read 24,496,680 times
A lot of people have flooded into nursing programs as a place to secure a job. In my area, there were some 600 applicants for 60 seats in one community college program, and they had a lot of tight pre-req classes, too.
My own hospital (here in Mass.) went from 350 beds to 160 beds in the 1990s. I've worked many places around the city and this is one of two still open since those days. I imagine the situation is the same elsewhere.
My hospital (a big psych hospital) likes to hire new grads because they're cheaper. These new grads have said they and their recent classmates have a lot of trouble getting jobs in acute care places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado