U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:34 AM

1,832 posts, read 3,103,328 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of spending a few months in one of these town this coming summer just to chill. Plan to just do a lot of hiking & possibly biking, reading, and just general hanging out. Has anyone lived in all 3 places in the summer? I was checking Craigslist and Sun Valley/Ketchum ID seems to have the cheapest summer apartment sublets of the three areas. Telluride and Aspen seem slightly more beautiful close to town. Although when you get north of Ketchum ID into the Sawtooths up to Stanley ID that is pretty breathtaking.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 11:30 AM

229 posts, read 670,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Has anyone lived in all 3 places in the summer?
All three? Nah, I normally summer on the Cape, Martha's Vineyard, or St. Tropez.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
I only have extensive experience with Aspen in the summer, Telluride not so much.

Aspen I never really like in the winter but really enjoy it more in the summer. There certainly is plenty of biking and hiking and the weather is mostly nice. There are also different activities like Aspen Jazz festival and the food festival and so on.

The downside is that it is very pricey and one of the most expensive towns in America so bring lots of money. This one take out sandwich shop I used to go to, by the time I got a drink and chips, it was $20. Same thing with rent and so on, pricey.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM

5,682 posts, read 9,417,164 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of spending a few months in one of these town this coming summer just to chill. Plan to just do a lot of hiking & possibly biking, reading, and just general hanging out. Has anyone lived in all 3 places in the summer? I was checking Craigslist and Sun Valley/Ketchum ID seems to have the cheapest summer apartment sublets of the three areas. Telluride and Aspen seem slightly more beautiful close to town. Although when you get north of Ketchum ID into the Sawtooths up to Stanley ID that is pretty breathtaking.

Thanks for your input!

Well, the advantage to Sun Valley is that you're close to the Sawtooths which are amazing. I backpacked up there last July and just truly spectacular. I remember hiking up to a 10,000 foot peak and standing on 30 feet of snow. Sun Valley is down by the southern part of the mountains, Stanely ID is up by the northern part. In fact the highway that leads northwest out of Stanley is one of the most beautiful roads I've ever been on. Plus in that area you're not far from the River of No Return Wilderness - the largest wilderness in the continental U.S and an amazing place too.

There's no denying Aspen is incredibly beautiful. It's located in an ideal mountain valley and there's a variety of interesting wilderness areas nearby and plenty of hiking and camping.

I guess you can't go wrong either way. Both towns are really nice. In some ways I got the impression Sun Valley was even nicer than Aspen.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 PM

1,832 posts, read 3,103,328 times
Thanks 80skeys...

....I know what you are saying about the Sawtooths in ID. The one and only time I've been through there was on a road trip in 2007 coming down from Missoula on highway 75. It was a scene I'll never forget, 75 degree blue sky July afternoon, pulling off the side of the highway near Stanley with the crystal clear Salmon River rushing in the background & the Sawtooths in the the distance. Just one of those gorgeous natural settings.

I think Ketchum/Sun Valley having cheaper rental options than Aspen may sway me that way. Although Sun Valley I'm sure has it's elite, people say it's more down-to-earth than Aspen.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks 80skeys...

....I know what you are saying about the Sawtooths in ID. The one and only time I've been through there was on a road trip in 2007 coming down from Missoula on highway 75. It was a scene I'll never forget, 75 degree blue sky July afternoon, pulling off the side of the highway near Stanley with the crystal clear Salmon River rushing in the background & the Sawtooths in the the distance. Just one of those gorgeous natural settings.
I was standing in that river in Stanley with my fly fishing gear last year. Unfortunately the fishing was very poor - the only thing that disappoints me about Idaho.

Quote:
I think Ketchum/Sun Valley having cheaper rental options than Aspen may sway me that way. Although Sun Valley I'm sure has it's elite, people say it's more down-to-earth than Aspen.
I didn't spend much time there. We stopped at a Chinese restaurant the day we returned from our backpacking trip. I got the impression that Sun Valley is even ritzier than Aspen. The amount of rich people running around was amazing.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,121,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I was standing in that river in Stanley with my fly fishing gear last year. Unfortunately the fishing was very poor - the only thing that disappoints me about Idaho.

It must have been the day or the section of river you were in because Idaho has the best fishing by far of all of the land locked Western states. There are a lot of trophy rivers, streams and lakes scattered all over Idaho. Salmon will spawn in Idaho in the Sawtooths and swim to the Pacific and swim all of the way back to Idaho to die. Silver Creek which is south of Sun Valley/Ketchum/Hailey is supposed to be one of the finest fly fishing streams in the world. It was one of Hemingways favorite places to fish.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
It must have been the day or the section of river you were in because Idaho has the best fishing by far of all of the land locked Western states.
That's not the case. The locals in Stanley told me the only fish to be found are a dwindling population of small trout fingerlings. The salmon runs are thing of the past because of the dams on the Columbia river. There is no longer a salmon population in the Salmon river because they are unable to navigate the dams on their spawning runs from the Pacific ocean. When I returned home, I researched it and discovered that people fear the native Pacific NW/Idaho salmon populations are on the brink of extinction. An incredibly sad thing.

My fishing experiences in Idaho bear this out. Not only in regards to the salmon, but the trout as well. I fly fished several streams and rivers with no success, except for one small mountain stream in the Sawtooths from which I was able to pull a few 6" brook trout.

Quote:
There are a lot of trophy rivers, streams and lakes scattered all over Idaho. Salmon will spawn in Idaho in the Sawtooths and swim to the Pacific and swim all of the way back to Idaho to die.
This used to be the case, but no longer. Google "Columbia River + salmon"

Quote:
Silver Creek which is south of Sun Valley/Ketchum/Hailey is supposed to be one of the finest fly fishing streams in the world. It was one of Hemingways favorite places to fish.
Again, that was a long time ago. I've had much more productive fishing experiences in the southwest as opposed to Idaho.

General consensus is that Minnesota is the best fishing in the country (outside of Alaska.)

Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
That's not the case. The locals in Stanley told me the only fish to be found are a dwindling population of small trout fingerlings. The salmon runs are thing of the past because of the dams on the Columbia river. There is no longer a salmon population in the Salmon river because they are unable to navigate the dams on their spawning runs from the Pacific ocean. When I returned home, I researched it and discovered that people fear the native Pacific NW/Idaho salmon populations are on the brink of extinction. An incredibly sad thing.

This used to be the case, but no longer. Google "Columbia River + salmon"
The Salmon run in Idaho is far from being a thing of the past, there were some really bad years back in the late 80's into the 90's but the Federal Government has really been involved with making sure the Salmon can get to the Pacific from Idaho and return back to Idaho. Salmon do still make it to and from Idaho even though the dams on the Snake and Columbia Rivers have cut the numbers way down but they are not near extinction. Salmon swim in many rivers in Idaho and I know this because I live in Idaho It is always fun to head to the McCall area and fish during the Salmon run each year. It is a big event and there are festivals held in Stanley each year celebrating the Salmon. This past year was a record year for the return of Salmon to Idaho.
Idaho Mountain Express: Hundreds of sockeye return home - August 19, 2009
For the second summer in a row, hundreds of sockeye salmon are pouring into the upper reaches of the Salmon River near Stanley. Their final destination is the Redfish Lake area, in the eastern shadow of the ragged crest of the Sawtooth Mountains

But back to general fishing, everyone will have their fav spots and opinions but there are a lot more places to fish in Idaho than the Sun Valley/Sawtooth area. Idaho has the most miles of rivers and streams in the Lower 48 US and the largest natural lakes in the West in Northen Idaho which are considered world class blue ribbon trophy areas. Two of the finest trout streams in the nation are in Southern Idaho. What is considered the best steelhead fishing in the nation is in Idaho, but I have never had the chance to fish for steelhead in the Clearwater River yet. Fly fishing in the Boise River right in the middle of Boise is rewarding and catching a good sized trout or salmon is simple. I have had great results but then I live here and can head out whenever I have the free time to fish so my opinion may be different from another who visits and doesn't have the luxery of fishing in Idaho year round.
Here is a website I found if interested to look at it:
http://www.rowadventures.com/Idaho-Fly-Fishing.html

One fish I would really like to see live is a giant Sturgeon from the Snake River in Hells Canyon...I've seen plenty of pictures and that is one huge fish.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 01-28-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Silver Creek which is south of Sun Valley/Ketchum/Hailey is supposed to be one of the finest fly fishing streams in the world. It was one of Hemingways favorite places to fish.
Quote:

Again, that was a long time ago. I've had much more productive fishing experiences in the southwest as opposed to Idaho.
I was not able to add this to my previous post but here is some more info on Silver Creek south of Sun Valley which is still recognized as one of the worlds finest for flyfishing. I just wanted to add this because we were discussing this creek in previous posts. I guess since this thread is about comparing the resort areas we should end the fish discussion, but if someone likes to fish they might enjoy the Sun Valley area over Aspen or Telluride.

Idaho Fishing: Silver Creek Fishing Report

About: - Silver Creek offers anglers the chance to stalk big rainbow and brown trout. This flat water spring creek has daily mayfly hatches and unparalleled "match the hatch" dry fly fishing. Silver Creek has the highest density of trout of any river its size in the U.S. Combine this with the smorgasbord of insect hatches and it's easy to recognize this stream as the best spring creek in the nation. There are many miles of Silver Creek to fish and it would take weeks to fish all the good locations. (more on Silver Creek)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado