U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:30 PM

299 posts, read 788,079 times

Advertisements

I will say that they did a very nice job of renovating the Mesa Junction library.

Pictures 8-15 that Josseppie posted are from the worst area of town, Bessemer. They also have been saying that they are going to remodel the ice house for about 2 years now, and nothing has even begun. And he posted a bunch of pictures of office buildings, bars, a convenience store, and a place where you can have someone look at your taxes, really cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:20 PM

138 posts, read 288,343 times
I would recommend the West 13th to West 18th area of town by the state hospital, the rent is cheap (375 for a 1br), and crime is rather low. Ive even left my windows and doors unlocked on my car (by accident) and nothing happened, so I feel rather safe in this area of town. Granted it looks a little run down it doesnt have the problems of the lower east side.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 AM

20,310 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Those old buildings in the downtown have great character, hope they stay in good repair and flourish.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:47 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,357,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Those old buildings in the downtown have great character, hope they stay in good repair and flourish.
Agreed, but I think Pueblo can build on it.

In the 1980's the energy economy in Denver is what caused most of the sky scrapers to be built in that city and created the sky line we love today. That combined with LODO has made that a world class downtown.

I believe that if in the next 10 to 20 years the alternative energy economy takes off in Pueblo it will have the same affect on our sky line and be the reason many sky scrapers are built. That combined with the historic area of downtown and Riverwalk will make Pueblo's downtown a world class downtown.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 21 days ago)

10,300 posts, read 10,457,063 times
Deacon,
I think you would do well to take the trip out and see Pueblo for yourself. It's certainly worth the time if you are going to invest the $$$ to relocate you and your family there.
Pueblo is (in my opinion) not as great as Josseppie makes it out to be, and not as bad as GoYanks says it is. Somewhere in between is an accurate description.
Meanwhile, what part of Central Coast of California do you live? I will be moving to Monterey later this year. I can't wait!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,604 times
Thanks for the great photo's Jessepie. Excellent history lesson. I enjoyed it. I have been looking in the north area and Besemer area. House are a bit more expensive. I hope the areas area ok. Looked at a couple downtown loft reno's. Awesome but a bit too pricey. I am a bit apprehensive about those summer days above 100. Brings me back to my Sacramento CA days. Killer! I had to excape to the mountains in Tahoe for relief most weekends. Even with a pool it was hard to cool off. What about black ice in Pueblo. Is that a problem?

Also, thanks for the pics of the New Catholic Center. I'll be sure to check that out when I vist next month.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and great facts about Pueblo.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM

First off thanks! Pueblo tends to be my hobby so I spend a lot of my time studying her history and future. To me its one of the most remarkable cities in the world and I would not want to live anyplace else.

As far as your house hunting not sure how close you want to live to downtown or how much you want to spend but you might look at the south side or a area called west gate or north in Eagle ridge and south by south gate. Bessemer is not as bad as the east side but I am not sure I would want to live there to be honest.

As far as the weather we get above 100 a few times in the summer, usually 5-10 times, but cool off at night because of the mountain breezes so its not bad. Pueblo tends to be in the 90's in the day but lows are in the 60's at night. In the winter Pueblo gets less snow then any major city in Colorado and the snow usually melts in a day or two, especially on the roads. Colorado rarely gets freezing rain so black ice is not a issue, especially in Pueblo.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 AM

299 posts, read 788,079 times
The nice thing about summers here is while they can be hot, humidity is almost non-existant. I think it this has something to do with the elevation of the city. It is nothing like cities like Dallas, Minneapolis and Kansas City where the temperature will be 95 degrees with 60%+ humidity.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 6,233 times
Default Liked what I saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconV View Post
So I would suggest you fight the city hard on keeping things historic and maintaining that small town feel.
My wife and I are in our fifties and don't need to be kept entertained all the time.
DeaconV

I just came back from Pueblo on Friday. My wife and I are possibly relocating there, I really liked what I saw. Granted I didnt have my own car and saw probably one-tenth of it but I did love the fact that it had a lot of historical buildings and a great small town feel. EVERYONE was very nice, though we did get a few "looks" of "who are these guys?". Well anytime you roll into a restaraunt 15+ people you probably are going to get some looks. We went out a little later and found a small tavern and walked in and a group literally offered us their table ( we were down to maybe 6 guys at the time). I thought they were leaving, no, they were just nice.
When i said something rejecting the idea was told " How else are we to be sociable" and ended up hanging out and talking the rest of the night ( a little karaoke spot and the singers were WELL above par for what you find in most).
Yes, goyanks, if you are 22 and only one decent club by the college and a "small town" you probably feel as if there is nothing to do.
I've been around the world, literally, and immediately liked the area. My wife and I are done with the "clubbing" but if we get an occasional "wild hair" we can always plan a trip to the Springs or Denver, grab a hotel and hit the "best restaraunts and clubs".

Old 02-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Let me be clear. I LOVE Pueblo but agree there is room for improvement. One of the areas that Pueblo needs to work on is things to do for college students. That is why I am glad about what is going on at CSU Pueblo and the area around the university. That is arguably one of if not the brightest spots in Pueblo as a larger more influential university will help us in recruiting more jobs. Here is what the Chieftain said about the university last weekend:

Development at Colorado State University-Pueblo. First, there was the switch in affiliation in which the University of Southern Colorado became a part of the Fort Collins-based CSU system. Then there was the return of football and wrestling two years ago, along with the significant construction of a real college village south and east of the football field. The truth is, USC was floundering. Enrollment was stagnant and even worse, there wasn't much enthusiasm in the community about the university. That's changed. Today, the university is arguably THE centerpiece of the community. Just as importantly, it feels like a university, a fact that hasn't been lost on young people as enrollment has surged.

This article goes into what Pueblo has done in the past 15 years to improve out selves and IMO is right on.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Special section will report on Pueblo's progress

Here is a list of what CSU Pueblo has done:

Summary of major facility projects from 2007-2009:

CASH-FUNDED - COMPLETED

Student recreation field, $1.8 million funded by student fees.
Student recreation center, $10.1 million funded by student fees.
New student housing, $55.5 million funded by auxiliary revenue.
Football stadium complex, $13 million donor-funded facility.
Softball field improvements, $748,000 funded by GOCo grant.
Softball and baseball field improvements, $239,200 donor funded.
Psychology Building upgrade, $330,000 funded by land-sale proceeds and student fees.
Academic Resources Center renovation, $24.8 million funded by mineral lease revenues and university funds.

CASH-FUNDED - REQUESTED/ IN DEVELOPMENT

Occhiato University Center renovation, $22.7 million funded by auxiliary and student fees.
Belmont Residence Hall renovation, $20 million funded by tuition, auxiliary and student fees.

STATE-FUNDED - COMPLETED

Renovation of Health, Physical Education and Recreation building, $14 million

STATE-FUNDED - REQUESTED

New general classroom building, $15.3 million
Technology building, $15 million
Psychology building, $15.2 million

Here is a link to Thunder Village, the new development that is starting around the university:

http://www.pueblourbanrenewal.org/thunder.html

So IMO Pueblo is starting this new decade out right and when the current recession ends Pueblo is setting itself up for major growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or