U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:24 PM

299 posts, read 788,392 times

Advertisements

Sure, CSU-Pueblo is setting itself up for success in the future, but what about taking care of the students that will be graduating over the next 2 or 3 years? The new rec center and renovation they completed on Massari Arena came out very nice, but in my opinion, the university is doing a very poor job of renovating the campus. The new library will be very nice once it is open, but right now, us students do not have access to an adequate library. I think the smart thing for them to have done would have been to build a new library from the ground up (The campus is not limited by geography) and then tear the current library down and use that land to build a new technology building in its place, then tear down the current technology building and build a new psych building, and so on. Granted, parts of the old library was very outdated, but it is not like its foundation was crumbling or anything. Having an outdated library would be better than having no library at all, like we do now.

Our current "library" is in the basement of the student center (It used to be a student lounge, but now we don't even have that). There are several computers available for student use, but there are no resources such as encyclopedias, magazine archives, and other books that could be useful for students.

The library renovation process began in January of 2009 with them gutting the inside, and it wasn't until October that they really started the rebuilding process. They are saying that the renovation will be complete by January of 2011, but I think that is a very lofty goal. I will be graduating in May of 2011, so chances are that I will never get to use the new library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,365,466 times
How CSU Pueblo is renovating the library is how most schools renovate them. Look at CSU Fort Collins. I was in school when they renovated their library and they did the same thing. The reason is cost. It is to expensive to tear down buildings and start from scratch and right now the Colorado university system has money issues so there would be no way to do what you propose. So while the construction is going on it is hard for students but in the long run it will be good for the students. The same is said with the student center but unfortunintly they can only do one at a time as they do need the space while one buidling is closed. Again that is what they did in Fort Collins with the library and student center.

So chances are you will not see the new library and student center but that was the case when I was in Fort Collins. I never saw the new library and student center but since the school thought about the future they have a great library and student center now for the students and that is what CSU Pueblo is doing.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 PM

138 posts, read 288,421 times
Even if the library was open I doubt you would find many books useful for your research as CSU has a very outdated and limited library. Thankfully there is inter library loan which is how i get all of my books.

Also the roads in Pueblo are not plowed, they may be covered in snow from one to three days until it melts. The interstate and CO Highways are usually plowed after the storm ends not during. (Although I haven't seen a storm here with the accumulation was greater than 2 inches)

Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM

I will be honost I have never had a big issue with the streets in Pueblo being icy as the snow seems to melt fast. In fact a lot of times its gone the same day.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 PM

299 posts, read 788,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontopueblo View Post
Even if the library was open I doubt you would find many books useful for your research as CSU has a very outdated and limited library. Thankfully there is inter library loan which is how i get all of my books.
That is true, but if the library were still open students would have a more spacious computer lab as well as a quiet place to study, and a place to meet to work on a project with a group of other students.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
That is true, but if the library were still open students would have a more spacious computer lab as well as a quiet place to study, and a place to meet to work on a project with a group of other students.
I have seen the plans and once the new library is done they will have better labs and books. This is a win for the university that they got the funding.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 6,236 times
Default Library ..

Correct me if I'm wrong but thought I saw a post on this forum on how the Rawlings library, Pueblo's main library, won Library of the year.
One thing I like about the area is the Library, art center, and the riverwalk.

Dan

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM

I think you are right but I can't remember what year to be honost.

That part of town is great and will be fun to see grow in the next 10 years.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 6,284 times
I say the heck with the old stigma's. I don't really see what the negativity is all about when people start debating Pueblo. Sure there's not a lot to do there, but CS is just 40+ minutes away so if you're bored it's nothing more than a leisurely car ride north on I-25. I love it in Pueblo, and will be moving my wife and 2 kids there ASAP. I like the laid back attitude and friendliness of people. I don't know about you guys, but paying $40k on a 1920's Arts and Crafts Bungalow is just the Bee's Knees, man! Yeah it might need a smidge of refreshing, but all that woodwork and built-in's, come on, where else are you going to find that for so cheap? that same $40k house costs $600,000 right across the street from me!! Good area, bad area, whatever......you're just as likely to get robbed, broken into, raped or murdered in a good area, what, thugs can't walk or drive a car, if you have something somebody wants it's more than likely that someone is going to try to take it, which is why I own firearms. So we're doing it and have made appointments to see several properties for this weekend. 80% of Pueblo is for sale, people, and not just for sale, they're practically giving it away!!! Can you say house bought and paid for? No mortgage!!!! Doesn't get any easier than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or