U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,602 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking at moving from Central Coast California to Pueblo. Have been looking at housing down town in the 1700 block of E. 4th street and surrounding area. I have browsed with google satalite and the area looks OK, but what can anyone tell me about the character of the neighborhood? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 12:38 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,344,698 times
To be honest I would not move into that area. It is not considered downtown and is considered one of the bad areas of town.

If you want a house near downtown I would look just north of downtown as that was picked as the best historic neighborhood in Colorado and in the top 50 of the county.

This is from KOAA:

This Old House editors have picked the 51 best old-house neighborhoods in the country. A historic neighborhood in Pueblo made the list. The North Side District, which includes houses along N. Elizabeth and Greenwood, was chosen as the best old house neighborhood in Colorado.

The link: http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/pueblo-historic-neighborhood-makes-magazines-best-list1/

Old 01-30-2010, 02:01 PM

299 posts, read 787,470 times
This is probably the 2nd-worst area of Pueblo. While there are some good neighborhoods, in this part of town (I live about 3 blocks away from the area you are considering), the amount of crime and gang activity is only going to get worse. I don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but in September, there was a gang-related shooting in the 1600 block of East 5th street where one young man died.

If you give me a little more information about yourself (age, education, career, income, etc.), I might be able to help you out a little more.

P.S. You may want to reconsider your decision to move to Pueblo....

Old 01-30-2010, 02:06 PM

That is a bad area but lets keep things in perspective, Pueblo is a great place to live and work. Sure we have bad areas but if you can show me one large city over 100,000 people in the United States without a bad area then I will go visit that city!

Old 01-30-2010, 03:26 PM

299 posts, read 787,470 times
Every forum related to Pueblo should have a disclaimer saying that Josseppie is the biggest cheerleader for the city. That said, let me give you an OBJECTIVE opinion of Pueblo.I have lived in Pueblo my entire life (22+ years), and as soon as I graduate from CSU-Pueblo, I am getting out of here.

Pueblo does have some good things about it. The cost of living is much lower than the other medium-sized cities in the state, it is only a 30 minute drive from the mountains, and has some of the best Mexican food in the country.

If you have a college degree and aspirations of making something of yourself, however, this is not the place for you. Right now, the job market is beyond terrible. The only way that you will be able to get a decent job is if you know somebody. Sure, anyone can go get themselves a job at one of the city's numerous call centers that pay their employees $7.50 an hour, but who really wants to have to do that? About the only industry where you can find a job readily available around here is in the health care industry. I have been unemployed since August, and out of about 30 or so Jobs I have applied for in Pueblo, I have only gotten one phone call. Mind you, I graduated high school and I am about 85% of the way towards having a Bachelor's degree in Business. The latest data shows that the unemployment rate for Pueblo County was 7.6% in November, higher than most of the other most populous counties in the state.

The city is the epitome of a welfare state. If I had to guess, I would say that at least half of the residents receive food stamps. I am not going to go into detail about the welfare cycle, because we all know how this works...

I consider people who live in Pueblo to be very "clique-orientated" and somewhat hostile. Many people make their friends in their school days and stay friends with ONLY that certain group of people throughout their life. Make no mistake about it, if you move here, you will have a very hard time making new friends.

Why do I not like living in Pueblo.....THERE IS NOTHING TO DO!. I'm sure that Josseppie will tell you about how great the riverwalk is, but once you've seen that once, you've seen it enough. It is nothing like the riverwalks in cities like San Antonio and Oklahoma City. Our Mall is a joke, and if you have kids, there is not much to do with them besides the Pueblo Zoo, Children's Museum, Miniature Golf, and taking them to a movie every once in a while.

My advice to you is to keep all of your options open.

Last edited by goyanks57; 01-30-2010 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: left a word out.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:00 PM

That is far from a objective opinion but there is one area that I agree with him on, availability of jobs. Pueblo is your typical city of 100,000 people in that we don't have the kind of jobs you find in larger metro areas and that is why I am a advocate of growth and bringing in large companies. Until we do that Pueblo will always be a hard city to find a job in. However, as he said Pueblo is cheap to live in and that combined with the states fastest growing university is helping us recruit new companies like Vesta's and we are still on track to get a large nuclear power plant and if we do that will change the economic landscape of the Pueblo MSA overnight and make us one of the "rich" counties in Colorado.

Everything else I disagree with. For a city of 100,000 Pueblo has more to do then the average city our own size, in fact Pueblo has just as much to do as Colorado Springs and their MSA is over 600,000 people. That says a lot. We have some of the best restaurants in the state that even Denver residents drive down for and the best weather of any large city in Colorado. And Pueblo residents are famous for being friendly and i have been told that by new comers all the time.

Overall I would say Pueblo has one of the best if not the best futures in the state, just look at this article from the Chieftain:

Garvin also praised the work of the chamber. Saying he attended a recent meeting of the Colorado Springs chamber of commerce, "They have got nothing on the Pueblo chamber and its membership. What we see from this group on a monthly basis is incredible." Garvin said the recent gains made at PCC represent one part of a revitalization taking place all across Pueblo, including in the Downtown core. "There's a real renaissance going on that you're not seeing up the Front Range anymore," he said.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: PCC vows to stay aggressive

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-30-2010 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-30-2010, 04:59 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,163,320 times
goyanks57 wrote:

"..I would say that at least half of the residents receive food stamps..."

I doubt that and it is probably a much lower number but still significant. But really what does that say??? Keep in mind that the numbers also include infants, toddlers, children, the disabled and the elderly--not all of them are lazy, criminals or bad people. A more important measure is the amount of households which is much lower than the total number of residents. Be careful what assumptions you draw from the total numbers.

goyanks57 post is typical of many young people who want to go out into the world and look at their hometown as less than desirable. Many of us have done the same. However, with the years, the bruises, the agony, the ecstasy, and some successes we look back and many times see that it is was not a such bad place.

He says about Pueblo that "THERE IS NOTHING TO DO". From his prospective and his time in life, he sees that as a fixed truth. Many of us know as we mature; we learn to appreciate much of the unappreciated; we see more of the unseen; and we enjoy the simple pleasures of life in our surrounding and we know the NOTHING that we perceive, is SOMETHING; and there is much to do.

I have experienced Pueblo and I think is a nice city, but I like the boring, pace of life where I can slowly taste and enjoy every bite of living. Perhaps goyanks57 will come to the same realization, but today, in his youth, he has to pursue his dreams.

Livecontent

Old 01-30-2010, 05:23 PM

I agree and we all go through that stage, even I did. That is why I went to grad school in San Diego. In the end I came back to Pueblo and do not see my sellf moving again.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,602 times
I find this all very interesting and thank you for your responses. I don't mind a little rough around the edges area, but I can't live anywhere I may fear my wife's safety. We lived in a very nice area of Sacramento CA that turned into a "drive-by, gang infested" area and had to move. I will look more in the north area now. Thanks.

I live in a city with the same population and ethnic diversity as Pueblo. A lot of people on welfare and food stamps, especially now with the way the economy is. Jobs are very difficult to come by and when you find them your're lucky to get paid $8 - $9 hr. Our hispanic community is seeing very rough times, with many farmers cutting back so much that the illegals are going back to Mexico.

As far as character is concerned, our city did a dumb thing and tore down a few city blocks in our historical district to build a Mall in 1976. It has been a sore thumb ever since. So I would suggest you fight the city hard on keeping things historic and maintaining that small town feel.

My wife and I are in our fifties and don't need to be kept entertained all the time. I am a Deacon in the Catholic Church so we are pretty busy with our minitries and work a lot with the poor. So it sounds like we would be needed there in Pueblo as well. The weather sounds pretty good, but I will miss the beaches here. But I love to fish and love the lake just as much.

Again, thanks again for all your input. And Jesseppie and Goyank57, keep up the satire, I love it.

DeaconV

Old 01-30-2010, 05:54 PM

Pueblo has done a lot to keep the historic buildings. In fact Pueblo has the second largest urban area in the state as, like Denver, Pueblo devloped before the car. Here is a post I did about that you might like:

Some examples from my file but I have many more:

The ice house

What it will look like when its done. It is to downtown Pueblo what the Gates redevlopment would of been to downtown Denver.

and

These are two nice historic highrises in downtown Pueblo.

and this on our large urban area:

Pueblo is unique in Colorado that we started as 3 separate towns (Pueblo, South Pueblo, Bessemer) and each town had their own downtown. They grew together and was connected by trolley lines. In fact South Pueblo was the junction of all the lines and to this day that area is called "the Junction" although most Puebloans do not know why. Because of this Pueblo has a rather large urban area in fact I would not be surprised if our urban area was larger then Colorado Springs and Fort Collins urban area combined. I could be wrong but from being in both cities and seeing their urban area that is my opinion.

Consolidation and boom

This is such a important part of Pueblo's history it has a separate chapter in the book and I will copy a few paragraphs from the start of the chapter so you guys can see how important this was:
"1886 saw the consolidation of the 3 Pueblos. A Chieftain newspaper article summed up the local sentiment by stating that while support for consolidation was "not as wide as a river nor as deep as a well" it would do. For most citizens, consolidation represented prosperity. Some saw the potential increase in real estate; others saw the second largest city in the state becoming the largest."
In fact Pueblo continued to boom till the flood of 1921 then it took decades for Pueblo to fully recover and then Pueblo boomed after world war 2 till the economic collapse of the 1980 and again it has taken about 20 years for Pueblo to recover. That is why I believe Pueblo is now ready for a 3rd boom and hopefully this time nothing will interrupt it so Pueblo can finally become what they thought it would be in 1886, the states largest city. As they say third time is the charm, I am hoping so!

This area is known as Bessemer. It was called Bessemer because it is located and started by the steel mill and Bessemer is the name of a process to make steel.

This is from WIki:
Sir Henry Bessemer (January 19, 1813 – March 15, 1898) was an English engineer and inventor. Bessemer's name is chiefly known in connection with the Bessemer process for the manufacture of steel.

This is the area of town called the junction located just west of downtown Pueblo.
Pueblo has a few more areas as well, the historic neighborhood north of downtown that was rated as the best historic neighborhood in the state and the top 50 in the country. One east of downtown that is kind of like east Colefax in Denver and south east of downtown that runs in the suburbs or as we call it "the mesa"

I know this was a lot of pictures but I wanted to give you a feel for both areas.

Finally, this is the new Catholic building in downtown Pueblo by the Riverwalk. This is the HQ for the Pueblo region in Colorado and the population is about 600,000 people.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-30-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or