Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:02 PM
KGM KGM started this thread

11 posts, read 26,673 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband and I live in a ski resort town in north-eastern New Mexico. We have been trying to plan which ski resort to live at next ski season.

We recently visited Salida and snowboarded on Monarch mountain (loved it!). The commute from Salida to MOnarch was a bit of a downside. The town itself seemed affordable though. We were looking at possibly going to Monarch, Wolf Creek, Purgatory (or is it Durango mountain now?), Silverton, Telluride, or any other suggestion someone may have to look into.

Currently we live less than 1/2 a block from the base of the ski area, so we can walk to the ski area. My husband works as a lift operator, so he can walk to work. I work at a property management company that is about a 5 minute drive from our condo. We rent a 2 bedroom condo for $600/month. Our lodging and travel expenses are minimal. Food prices and gas prices are outrageous here. I mention these details in hopes to get a comparison between where we are at now and what we can expect at southern Colorado's ski resorts.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times
The commute from Salida is just over 20 minutes, relatively speaking thats pretty good. If you have $$$$$$$$$$$$$ you could move to Breck, Aspen or Vail where you can walk to the gondolas. Whatever your choice know that almost all ski hills have laid people off and if we don't get more snow this season there will be likely more next year. There is a ton of homes for rent in Salida (just had 78 foreclosures in 2009). Best of luck. RP

Old 01-22-2010, 04:18 PM

We do not have a lot of money. We make just enough money to get by. We work to snowboard. Is it possible to do that in Breck Aspen or Vail?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times
Probably none of my business but was thinking if you have a job I'd hang onto it. RP

Old 01-22-2010, 05:02 PM

We wouldn't move out until we had jobs there. Luckily we are in very transient industries. We have lived in Colorado before when my husband was working in the sheet metal industry.
After looking more closely at the maps, I think that Breck Aspen and Vail are a little further north than we'd like to go, but I'd still be open to it.
I really liked Salida and Monarch and the only negative I found was the commute from town to the ski mountain. Are there any ski areas that you can live right by the mountain?

Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM View Post
We wouldn't move out until we had jobs there. Luckily we are in very transient industries. We have lived in Colorado before when my husband was working in the sheet metal industry.
After looking more closely at the maps, I think that Breck Aspen and Vail are a little further north than we'd like to go, but I'd still be open to it.
I really liked Salida and Monarch and the only negative I found was the commute from town to the ski mountain. Are there any ski areas that you can live right by the mountain?
Depends on what your definition "live right by the mountain" means. Is a mile away good or more or less?

The large resorts in Colorado have the most available in terms of jobs. Two things to consider though. One is that if you move now, jobs will be harder to find as most hiring is done back in the fall for the winter. Two is that business has been way down, so work is cut back as well.

Also the larger areas in summit county and Vail and Aspen, have more jobs and more skiable terrain but you wont be able to live in a $600 a month condo a couple of blocks from the mountain. To get anything decent you are probably looking into more of $1200 a month.

Sounds like you are looking for something more rustic so the larger "destination" resorts might not do it for you.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM View Post
Hello!
My husband and I live in a ski resort town in north-eastern New Mexico. We have been trying to plan which ski resort to live at next ski season.

We recently visited Salida and snowboarded on Monarch mountain (loved it!). The commute from Salida to MOnarch was a bit of a downside. The town itself seemed affordable though. We were looking at possibly going to Monarch, Wolf Creek, Purgatory (or is it Durango mountain now?), Silverton, Telluride, or any other suggestion someone may have to look into.

Currently we live less than 1/2 a block from the base of the ski area, so we can walk to the ski area. My husband works as a lift operator, so he can walk to work. I work at a property management company that is about a 5 minute drive from our condo. We rent a 2 bedroom condo for $600/month. Our lodging and travel expenses are minimal. Food prices and gas prices are outrageous here. I mention these details in hopes to get a comparison between where we are at now and what we can expect at southern Colorado's ski resorts.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Great deal on a condo for $600! Do you have to drive into Taos for groceries & supplies?

Are you looking to be that close again to the ski lifts or would you be willing to drive from say, Pagosa Springs?

Are you willing to pay more for rent? I really like Telluride.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Depends on what your definition "live right by the mountain" means. Is a mile away good or more or less?

The large resorts in Colorado have the most available in terms of jobs. Two things to consider though. One is that if you move now, jobs will be harder to find as most hiring is done back in the fall for the winter. Two is that business has been way down, so work is cut back as well.

Also the larger areas in summit county and Vail and Aspen, have more jobs and more skiable terrain but you wont be able to live in a $600 a month condo a couple of blocks from the mountain. To get anything decent you are probably looking into more of $1200 a month.

Sounds like you are looking for something more rustic so the larger "destination" resorts might not do it for you.
We are very content to live out the rest of the ski season here. We wouldn't move until either spring or fall. I like the idea of more skiable terrain, but I think you hit the nail on the head when you said I was looking for something a little more rustic, however I am open to a larger destination resort as well. 1200/month would probably be pushing it for our wages.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:15 PM

oh,
and a mile away would be a reasonable distance. The 20 minute drive from Salida to Monarch is the absolute furthest I would want to go.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Great deal on a condo for $600! Do you have to drive into Taos for groceries & supplies?

Are you looking to be that close again to the ski lifts or would you be willing to drive from say, Pagosa Springs?

Are you willing to pay more for rent? I really like Telluride.
I have heard positive thing about the terrain in Telluride thus far. I like some steeps and a good amount of long rolling trails. I don't like to spend a ton of time on the chairlifts. I would love to be as close to the mountain as we are now in another ski resort. I understand we have an exceptional deal going on here and we will probably have to pay more, which is fine we would just have to budget differently. What do you like about Telluride?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado