Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,273 times

Advertisements

i live by steamboat springs and it is impossible to purchase lump coal in this area. i am looking for another coal mine to buy lump coal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:55 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
A long ways away from Steamboat, but there are several dealer/transporters of lump coal in the North Fork Valley around Hotchkiss, Paonia, and Somerset. Try the Blue Ribbon Coal Co., Edwards Coal Delivery, North Fork Coal Yard, or J V Coal (they deliver North Fork Coal, but are located in Montrose).

Old 02-08-2010, 03:12 PM

11,547 posts, read 52,903,008 times
Try calling Keeter Trucking. I used to buy coal from them in the Boulder area, but they have other locations and also deliver around the region.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,150,615 times
I don't know, but entire coal trains stop on the tracks across the street several times a day to de-couple when it's cold and snowy like this. If it wasn't highly illegal, I'd go over there and snatch you some. I wonder if I could shout up at the conductor to ask him where he came from and then you could just go to that place and try to work something out.

Or maybe just try sunsprit's or jazz's suggestions...

Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I don't know, but entire coal trains stop on the tracks across the street several times a day to de-couple when it's cold and snowy like this. If it wasn't highly illegal, I'd go over there and snatch you some. I wonder if I could shout up at the conductor to ask him where he came from and then you could just go to that place and try to work something out.

Or maybe just try sunsprit's or jazz's suggestions...
Some of the coal you see actually comes from up near Steamboat and Craig, some from the North Fork. Most comes out of the Powder River Basin in Wyoming. The problem is that it is all "power plant coal"--crushed to small size for burning in power plants. "Stoker" coal is somewhat bigger chunks. The OP is looking for lump coal, which is a lot bigger chunk. His area produces plenty of coal, but it sounds like none of the mines are wholesaling any lump coal. A few of the mines in the North Fork Valley still do, as does the King Coal Mine near Durango.

And, trespassing on the railroad right-of-way is QUITE illegal AND extremely dangerous.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:24 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
lbeavers wrote:
looking for lump coal
Here's the easiest solution that comes readily to mind. If you can wait until next Christmas, make sure to be a bad boy or a bad girl this year, and santa will put a lump in your stocking next Christmas. ho! ho! ho!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,570,446 times
How times change. I lived in Steamboat in the early 70's and our furnace used lump coal. Guess they've all been converted?

I remember when they used to put coal dust on the streets instead of sand for traction.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 PM

I remember when a good chunk of Colorado's small towns were still coal-heated. They say that smell, of all the senses, will trigger the most vivid flashback memories. The smell of coal smoke will always make me flash back to places like Gunnison back when I was a lot younger--also the smell of wet clinkers--they were spread in the alleys to melt the ice. Hell, most people today don't even know what a clinker is. Some people still know. A co-worker of mine, back when she was a little girl, had the morning chore of shaking the grates in the family's home coal furnace, then starting the StokerMatic, and finally taking the ashes and clinkers out to dump into the (steel) trash can--the ashes and clinkers usually still smoldering. If parents were to make a child do that today, they would probably be brought up on child abuse charges for that. Somehow, she survived it to become a well-adjusted citizen, unlike many of today's "mall rats."

Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
When I was growing up in Pennsylvania, my Grandmothers house was heated with coal. That came in handy on several occassions. I remember a HEAVY, wet 2ft snowfall on the first day of spring in the late '50s that knocked out power to the entire area. It took more than a week to get it up and running again. We rode out the power outage in my Grandmothers nice warm house. We had to walk to school in 2 ft of snow...just kidding.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,091 times
I am looking for lump coal in Steamboat also. The Coal Companies here have quit selling to the individual - Thanks for all the advice and if you have any other ideas where to get it - Savory,WY???? please pass it on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado