U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:12 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,531,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
What I'm wondering is...

What did people incessantly complain about BEFORE the recession and the housing market collapse? The war? Water? What? ... because I'm certain it was not just a constant stream of euphoric threads like: 'I love my high paying job and my even higher mortgage payment!!!'

Just curious. Any long-time cd'ers care to recall?
In my case it was: "How come I earn more than 95% of the population on this planet, but I still can't afford to buy one of these junk, cardboard houses they are building!?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,113,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
In my case it was: "How come I earn more than 95% of the population on this planet, but I still can't afford to buy one of these junk, cardboard houses they are building!?"
Yeah I think that was pretty much the complaint of the times: "If I could just AFFORD one of these homes like all those rich people can..." And of course we all learned the truth of the matter a few years later, didn't we?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:43 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,465,200 times
treedonkey wrote:
What did people incessantly complain about BEFORE the recession and the housing market collapse?
Unfortunately for me, I can always find something to complain about. It's part of my childhood programming, and I've never been able to break out of it, even though I've read hundres of positive thinking type books over the years. I just haven't found a way to make it work for me.

Before the recession, my biggest complaints were about the traffic and humidity back in Virginia Beach. Here in GJ, the traffic ain't so bad, and there is no humidity to speak of, so I had to find something else to complain about. The most obvious thing to complain about is the recession because it is such an in-you-face type of thing that seems to get worse day by day. The bad news seems so real, but the green shoot news seems like wishful thinking, some kind of fairy tale, or government fiction.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,287 times
We're in a recession? j/k

Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrome1972 View Post
We're in a recession? j/k
No, it's a depression, and it's worldwide.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM

418 posts, read 416,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Personally, I'm glad for this. The real estate speculation boom as we knew it is over, hopefully for good.

Good riddance to all the fools who participated and are now feeling the pain.

Thanks for playing.

HAHA!! I've been taking this view point for some time now. During the retarded boom I was saving, while everyone insisted I should buy now or "forever be priced out!!!"

These were the people bidding up the prices and creating all the demand for ugly infrastructure that could have been left as open space. So when I see them down on their luck, it's kind of tough having sympathy.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,036,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Still, it's troubling to in my wanderings, see For Sale signs on what seems to be every other home and business in this county. Depressing indeed. And then, I see ads in local papers and the Telluride paper about new multi million dollar homes for sale and being built. Without going into the whole out of state people ruined it here and I wish it was the 1800's again debate, I wonder what, if anything can be done?
I don't believe anything can be done until the price point falls to meet demand. And so much has been built I believe that could be 10 or 20 years in process. You know the whole world has gone insane when $5 million condos are being built 50 feet from the Vail sewage plant.

The other dream that has been shattered is one of easy money. It's happened twice with the internet/tech boom and bust and the real estate bubble bust. I remember the nutbags at Wired Magazine 10 years ago that speculated in 2010 we'd have the stock market at 40000 and live a life of leisure with everything delivered to our door and we'd daytrade ourselves into great prosperity. Pure fantasy and I know for a fact that many people that bought huge properties in Colorado were riding the boom and thought they'd run their mega paper empires from up in the mountains and that has proved to be unrealistic.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,113,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfacedjenkins View Post
During the ... boom I was saving, while everyone insisted I should buy now or "forever be priced out!!!"
I just keep thinking of that Robert Frost poem, 'The road less traveled'... As far as housing goes, I took that route, but it was really just out of stubbornness. For years, I refused to buy into that sort of 'buy now' fervor. There were times when it did seem like I was missing out but things eventually worked out in my favor. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to brag and I'm certainly not gleeful over the losses of others. I am, however, relieved that things have come back down to earth for now and I'm in no hurry to see the value of homes, including my own, skyrocket again.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:17 PM

1,442 posts, read 3,573,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I just keep thinking of that Robert Frost poem, 'The road less traveled'... As far as housing goes, I took that route, but it was really just out of stubbornness. For years, I refused to buy into that sort of 'buy now' fervor. There were times when it did seem like I was missing out but things eventually worked out in my favor. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to brag and I'm certainly not gleeful over the losses of others. I am, however, relieved that things have come back down to earth for now and I'm in no hurry to see the value of homes, including my own, skyrocket again.
Ditto...

The real estate dolts saying "it's a great time to buy" must be thinking about the fortunate few who are flush with cash and don't need to finance...last time I checked, banks were reluctant to lend, the same houses on my street still haven't moved for months, and I still see all sorts of ads for those risky loans that got us into this mess in the first place...WTF??

Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 PM

Apparently the lending institutions are holding on to unsellable property and bad paper and hope for a federal bail-out before they have to admit and take a loss. Just wait them out; the fed is broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or