U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:13 PM

7 posts, read 29,081 times

Advertisements

I think the idea is they want to cash in all the outsiders who have bought 35 acre "ranchettes" in places like Melby and Forbes and haven't moved there. I'm not very familiar with Forbes, but Melby seemed to us to be reasonable in terms of size, access, road maintenance, potential for community and the like. Plus, it's strikingly beautiful. However, when the taxes got jacked up beyond belief, we started getting disgusted and felt like dumping the property for cheap just to collapse the market (not that it would move the evaluations down, they only use the highest sales prices for evaluations). Maybe if a bunch of sellers dumped the county would have to back off, and that may start happening because who wants to pay $1000 per year to hold vacant property for summer camping? However, they don't want to hurt residents or ranchers, so those have reasonable tax rates. So, if you want to build a house at Melby it's probably ok taxwise. Otoh, maybe I should apply for an agricultural status for all the elk grazing. One other thing: when we stop coming in the summer, there goes some more revenue for county stores...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,407 times
Default Melby Land Wanted

I made contact with the former poster.....but can anyone else refer me to other lots for sale at Melby? Close to the airstrip?

Email me at sunriver05@msn.com

Old 05-21-2010, 05:41 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,189,134 times
I don't know, but I just googled 'Melby' and about a thousand entries appeared under the auto-entry 'Melby Ranch Scam'... including some typically strong thoughts from Jazz on some old CDF posts about it. Might want to dig a little deeper.

Although, according to these guys:
Melby Ranch Properties
You can get a free steak dinner just for driving down and looking, so what do you have to lose?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:52 PM

9,822 posts, read 19,290,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I don't know, but I just googled 'Melby' and about a thousand entries appeared under the auto-entry 'Melby Ranch Scam'... including some typically strong thoughts from Jazz on some old CDF posts about it. Might want to dig a little deeper.

Although, according to these guys:
Melby Ranch Properties
You can get a free steak dinner just for driving down and looking, so what do you have to lose?
I love the hazy low res pictures that make it look better than it is.

I feel bad for the people that get suckered into buying "ranches" which are nothing but cold high desert and scrub land with no water, not to mention out in the middle of nowhere. Sure there are a few people that might be appealing to but I think for most with their Colorado mountain retirement "dream" of lush alpine forests and plush snow in a fairy tale mountain town, all this comes up short.

And I say this because I have known of people that fall for all of that.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,346 times
Angry Melby Ranch Scam

Melby's latest scam to get your land from you for next to nothing: Only people that purchase property from Melby Ranch are allowed to obtain water from him for their cisterns. So, if you plan to sell your property your buyers will NOT have purchased from Melby and will not have access to Water if they do plan to build a cabin or do anything much more than camp on their property a few days a year. It is next to impossible to put a well in up on the Mesa. Costs are unbearable even if they were to finally drill deep enough to finally find water.

So you not only have all of Melby's covenants to deal with making it way too expensive to build a small cabin or what not, now he has recently put up the notice anyone not purchasing their property from Melby will not be allowed to obtain water from the community water source which for numerous years now, long before Melby the landowners throughout the communities there always obtained their water from. It's just a scam by Melby to get landowners to sell to him for next to nothing.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,759 times
Sallys you shouldn't post false statements. I live on Melby Ranch and I didn't buy my place from Melby and I do get my water from him. It is not a public water source as you stated, it belongs soley to Mr. Melby. Mr. Melby pays all the utility costs and maintenance for the well. Besides why should Mr. Melby spend north of 2000. a month to supply water to people whom he has never sold to. He doesn't use that as ploy to get your property, he has thousands of acres of his own property to sell. The covenants do not make it to expensive to build. They are only there to keep people from putting up little shacks and piling junk on the property. The covenants are to keep the place clean and beautiful for everyone.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,379 times
I love how people spew tripe on these forums without knowing anything about what they're talking about. I've owned (2) adjoining 35+ac. lots in Melby Ranch for 17 years now. Can't beat the peacefulness and scenery. Properties are full of pinion pine and ponderosa pine trees with beautiful views of the Sangre de Cristo mountains. Taxes on vacant land there have dropped in recent years to around $450 ea. per year. Need water? There's this technology called well drilling. Sure it may cost $35K or so to do one but no more than tap fees in a subdivision and no monthly water bills.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 781 times
I own 36 acres in Elk Park Ranch, which is the most southern part of Melby Ranch. I would say 70% tree covered facing the south valley with Great views. Wonderful to watch the mustangs up there. Anyway they dropped the taxes to $580. 00 in 2015. I am looking to sell my land because I am getting married. I posted it on craigslist so we will see. The Elk up there are fantastic and Sanchez Reservoir is under construction for a new damn so it is low right now. I really do not want to use a realtor up there either, any suggestions other then Craigslist? Thanks Bill

Old 10-19-2015, 01:29 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,150,741 times
For listing it on your own, maybe check into websites like fsbo.com or forsalebyowner.com, and put up notices on bulletin boards in businesses that will allow it.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:53 PM

10,766 posts, read 28,909,646 times
you can post your own land for sale on zillow & trulia. But for a lot of land, like for a ranch, you may do better with farm & ranch type sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado