U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 PM

418 posts, read 416,121 times

Advertisements

Anybody from or live close by to Ouray? Drove through it while I was driving cross country a few years ago and thought it was incredible.

What are the chances of an engineer (electrical) and biologist (cytotechnologist) finding working around those parts?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Just about none.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:21 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Don't think there's any industry at all for that kind of work. Beautiful area, but sparsely populated.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:37 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
I was just there this past weekend. Ouray is a great place to visit, but it would be a difficult place to make a living, if you are dependent on the local economy....even in the best of times. I would imagine that there is probably about zero demand for someone in your line of work. Having said that, keep in mind that I've done absolutely NO reserach on the job market there. My opinions are formed from having visited there about 10 times during the past 4 years, picking up on a vibe that it would be hard to make a living there. I could be totally wrong, but I don't think jazzlover is.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 PM

10,519 posts, read 11,623,635 times
I live 10 minutes from Ouray. It's a bit claustrophobic for me, but a neat little mountain town. There is no work in Ouray County, none. Ridgway is hiring for summer help at the town parks, that's it. You could live there and commute to Montrose IF IF IF you can find a job. A lot of people who live here work from their homes, or are retired.. or unemployed.

Ouray County Home Page

Ouray Colorado :: Home

Ridgway, Colorado: Town of Ridgway, Colorado :: Official Town of Ridgway, Colorado Government Home Page

Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
Unfortunately, I think the answer your OP is a resounding No. This may be veering away from topic and into my own opinion so I may just get edited but here it goes...

Ouray is a beautiful place. Spectacular. But there is very little in the way of industry other than tourism, and even that is limited to mainly just the summer months since there are no major resorts in the immediate vicinity. Also, a town like Ouray will have very little to offer in the way of shopping and other necessary amenities. Even if you have the means to live wherever you choose, independent of job locale (as many do, thanks to modern telecommuting alternatives), a place like Ouray might not be the best place to choose. Yes, it's very beautiful and there is lots to do in the way of outdoor recreation in a natural playground, but count how many times you did any of the following things in the past year:

1) Shopped at cotsco, home depot, walmart or any other major retailer?
2) Went to a hospital or full-service clinic.
3) Traveled on an airplane.
4) Had friends/family come to visit you vie air travel.
5) Viewed a live, professional sporting event.
6) Saw a show of some sort (live theater, concert, movies, etc.)
7) Went to a zoo, museum, amusement park or other urban attraction.
8) Attended a trade show, business seminar or some other industry-related event that would likely not be hosted in the High Country of CO.
9) Commuted to a high-tech office building or research facility for work.

Now, ask yourself how you would feel if you had to drive between 2 and 7 (or more) hours to do ANY ONE of those things. Or would you prefer living a little closer to civilization and driving up into the high country when you need to get away for a bit? There are many towns on or near the front range that will offer all of those things within no more than an hour's drive. There is also Grand Junction which would offer most of those things and is a lot closer to Ouray then DEN or COS.

Last edited by treedonkey; 02-16-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
Other towns on the might offer more of the "list of 8" above, but I think still zero on the work front.
Yes, it's a gorgeous place.
A friend who lives there (paints houses, bought a trailer 25 yearsa ago) says that it gets dark in Ouray around 1pm in the winter because of the angle of the sun and the incredible proximity of the big mounains. He gets depressed, and this is a guy who does rock and ice climbing all year around.
(Disclaimer- I have visited many times. In the summer). I considered more than once moving out that way and there wasn't even RN work in Montrose. 'thud'

Old 02-16-2010, 04:31 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfacedjenkins View Post
Anybody from or live close by to Ouray? Drove through it while I was driving cross country a few years ago and thought it was incredible.

What are the chances of an engineer (electrical) and biologist (cytotechnologist) finding working around those parts?
I was ROFL!! funniest thing I've seen. Almost thought it was a joke thread posting.

Not trying to be mean but I think you should do more than drive thru the area if serious. I have some relatives that live 10 miles down the road that first bought property there almost 20 years ago. Both are high end professional people and have to work 4-8 hours away to make it.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,483,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Unfortunately, I think the answer your OP is a resounding No. This may be veering away from topic and into my own opinion so I may just get edited but here it goes...

Ouray is a beautiful place. Spectacular. But there is very little in the way of industry other than tourism, and even that is limited to mainly just the summer months since there are no major resorts in the immediate vicinity. Also, a town like Ouray will have very little to offer in the way of shopping and other necessary amenities. Even if you have the means to live wherever you choose, independent of job locale (as many do, thanks to modern telecommuting alternatives), a place like Ouray might not be the best place to choose. Yes, it's very beautiful and there is lots to do in the way of outdoor recreation in a natural playground, but count how many times you did any of the following things in the past year:

1) Shopped at cotsco, home depot, walmart or any other major retailer?
2) Went to a hospital or full-service clinic.
3) Traveled on an airplane.
4) Had friends/family come to visit you vie air travel.
5) Viewed a live, professional sporting event.
6) Saw a show of some sort (live theater, concert, movies, etc.)
7) Went to a zoo, museum, amusement park or other urban attraction.
8) Attended a trade show, business seminar or some other industry-related event that would likely not be hosted in the High Country of CO.
9) Commuted to a high-tech office building or research facility for work.

Now, ask yourself how you would feel if you had to drive between 2 and 7 (or more) hours to do ANY ONE of those things. Or would you prefer living a little closer to civilization and driving up into the high country when you need to get away for a bit? There are many towns on or near the front range that will offer all of those things within no more than an hour's drive. There is also Grand Junction which would offer most of those things and is a lot closer to Ouray then DEN or COS.
I have to say just twice, for me total for the above. And it was due to work or laziness. Here's to telecommuting!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM

418 posts, read 416,121 times
Well right now I telecommute, but I don't know how long this sweet deal is going to last. I'd be happy just buying something out there and visiting for several months of the year.

What's the best place to research small cabins in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado