U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM

6 posts, read 8,656 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys!
I am from Minnesota, and have decided to move to Colorado. I need your suggestions to help me decide the city.
Let me tell you about myself - I am 33, my wife is 30. We have two children - oldest is 5. We are both college grads. My degree is in Computer Science, and my wife's is in Biochemistry. We are a "family comes first" type family. Currently live in Duluth, Minnesota (pop. 85000).

The main reason we decided to move is the weather. We are simply sick of the -20s and -40s, and 2 months of on/off 65-70 that we call summer. Also, we wanted to experience a larger city, but noting like a metropolitan - like Denver.

What we would like is a place where we can live quietly in a family setting and work in the tech/bio-tech/pharmaceutical industry close by. Nightlife/dining is not big of a deal for us. We do like outdoor activities like running/biking etc - but not much into hiking. Would like to avoid ghetto areas at all cost.

We also might move into CO without securing jobs. I have some savings good enough for 6-months at the current living situation. So, would like to avoid expensive areas. Without a job, I can probably afford a 2-br place around $800 + utilities.

From reading some topics in this forum, I am leaning towards Colorado Springs, but would love to know what you think.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM

20,327 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Urge you get a job first, either one of you, before moving; it can be done without a job but if no jobs materializes you are in trouble. I helped a family from Duluth move here to COLO SPGS a couple years ago, they love it here, but I've not stayed in contact with them.

There are a lot more job opps in the Denver area, with areas of town that are not urban. Very little in Denver in the way of ghetto or spotty areas, nothing like the bad parts of Chicago or East St Louis, etc. Many areas to choose from, I think you'd like that area too.

IMO, it's all good here, get a job and come on out, pick an area when you get here, we'll help you figure it out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:49 PM

6 posts, read 8,656 times
Thanks Mike.
I am being optimistic and thinking by the time we are ready to move (in about 3.5 months), one of us will be able to secure a job. So, for tech jobs, Denver would be better than CoS?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 PM

20,327 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLove View Post
Thanks Mike.
I am being optimistic and thinking by the time we are ready to move (in about 3.5 months), one of us will be able to secure a job. So, for tech jobs, Denver would be better than CoS?
I think so, lots of general tech work up there. A fair amount of defense work here, much of which requires a security clearance.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 PM

113 posts, read 358,155 times
I would look into Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, and Broomfield. Relatively affordable areas. Great locations, too. In between Denver and Boulder, which would give you a lot of work / housing options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or