U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,653,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have talked to some parents who love the 4 day school week and some who do not. The only reason I have been given about not liking the 4 day week is they have to pay for day care on Friday's now, they have young kids, but even they feel that the education won't suffer as they are not going to school less. In college you don't have to go 5 days but have longer classes at one time and it seems to work better so who knows. It will be interesting to see how this works out.
In Chile (where I'm happy not to be right now) the underfunded and poorly-performing public schools operate on a 4-day week. All of the private schools we looked at were on 5-day weeks, and a few of the boarding schools even had six-day class weeks.

Children do not have the attention span needed to leverage the 20% longer day needed for the same classroom contact time, and when you throw in even more time wasted on feeding them a second meal and otherwise playing nanny, it's going to be even less efficient. Mark my words, this is going to weigh heavily on that continued Pueblo expansion you incessantly slobber over. People are not going to want to move to a place with a red flag for a shoddy school system when they have quality education available in nearby districts like D-20 just to the north in Colorado Springs. You guys can spend your money taking care of homeless bums, we'll educate our kids with ours.

Quote:
You can't use this fourm to judge a person's writing ability and that is why they have asked people not to comment on it.
This "fourm?"

One certainly can use a person's public writings, in this forum or anywhere else, as an example of their writing and reasoning skills. And when you're trumpeting here about being more educated than your private-school friends from Pueblo, you make your writing and reasoning skills fair game in a thread that's about your home town's education system. It doesn't take anything but money and a minimal effort to "pay your fee and get your B" at UCSD or most other graduate schools, but that doesn't make you anything but the owner of a very expensive piece of paper. How you reason--and how you communicate that reasoning in everyday life--is a far more telling indicator of your education, and in these forums both are lacking to a fault.

I don't accept the cop-out that an educated person only appears educated in his/her formal works...and in my past interviewing applicants for positions, I have flagged applications when I received phone calls, e-mails or letters that did not reflect communication skills congruent with the stated education level of the applicant.

Education--or lack of it--shows through in all manner of everyday activities. A real education can't be faked for long.

Last edited by Bob from down south; 03-05-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,357,583 times
^

We shall see but keep a few things in mind:

1. This is not the schools in the city but in the rural areas. To be honost I have heard they need to break up the school district as it covers to much of a area from surburban to rural mountain towns. As you said no one can predict the future so lets see what happens.

2. Pueblo has PCC and CSU Pueblo and both of them are seen as great schools and that is why they are growing. So Pueblo will have no issues attracting employers and that is why we are part of the growth region for the first time since the 1980's.

As far as me, I admit I can't spell, but that is not a good indicator about anything other then being able to spell or not.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:47 PM

299 posts, read 788,079 times
I think the fact that D-70 is going to a 4-day week is going to hurt both school districts in the long run. It has been publicized in the last couple of days that D-60 has already had a very high number of transfer applications for students who are in D-70 right now. This could lead to overcrowding issues in some D-60 schools.

CSU-Pueblo is in the same level of schools like Fort Lewis and Mesa State. It is just a step below schools like UCCS and Metro State, and a step above schools like Western State and Adams State. It will never be on the level of schools like CU, CSU-Fort Colins or DU. Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that a college degree does not have as much value in Pueblo as it does in larger cities.

CSU-Pueblo hosted a career fair this last week, and out of about 50 employers that were there, only 4 or 5 of them were looking to hire people for local jobs. I have a friend who attended a career fair in Oklahoma City 2 weeks ago, and he has already gotten 5 or 6 phone calls from companies who want to set up interviews with him.

Granted, most of the people in the city's labor pool don't possess college degrees, but I think that since the city has such an old-school mentality, many employers feel that there really isn't that much difference between someone who only has a GED and someone who has a Bachelor's degree.

And Josseppie, I feel that the fact that every post you make is so overwhelmingly positive really reduces your credibility. I know that my posts can be pretty negative sometimes, but I also try to point some good things about the city.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 PM

^

Everyone knows I love Pueblo and that's ok. I am not going to change who I am for anyone.

That being said I have to completely disagree with you on CSU Pueblo. Back when it was USC it was a joke and even I made fun of it, now that says a lot when as you said I don't talk bad about Pueblo. However, now that it is part of the CSU system it is growing and no longer a joke. You said this "Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that a college degree does not have as much value in Pueblo as it does in larger cities." That makes no sense as Pueblo is larger then Boulder and only slightly smaller then Fort Collins but projected to grow more. The bottom line is people see CSU and realize its a good institution instantly and that along with the new sports programs and weather in Pueblo is why its growing fast. In fact its long term goal is to be about 20,000 students and that would make it one of the large schools in the state with national recognition. That is, also, going to have a huge impact on the economy of Pueblo and one of the reasons new companies are moving here.

As far as D 70, I am not a expert on how it will affect the school system. Personally I don't think it will have a negative affect but we will see.

Here is a picture of the CSU Pueblo campus I took today. You can see the main library, its the tallest building there, and is undergoing a $24 million dollar renovation. That along with other renovations and new construction is one reason CSU Pueblo is the fastest growing university in the state.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-05-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 AM

7 posts, read 18,863 times
Thanks everyone for the input. I am currently in Fort Collins and checked out CSU yesterday. I will be in Pueblo Wednesday to see the university and take a tour. My main concern is not so much the university, but the future of my child's education, and by the responses Pueblo isn't looking too good in that category.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Keep in mind that people always like to take down Pueblo in Colorado. See it for yourself and then make up your mind.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,653,156 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that people always like to take down Pueblo in Colorado. See it for yourself and then make up your mind.
The standardized testing scores and the disturbing trends (i.e. move to a four-day school week starting next year) in the Pueblo area schools speak for themselves, and no amount of fanboy spin will change that. If you want your child to have the best-quality public-school education available in the region, you won't find it in Pueblo.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:25 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,522,302 times
If you are Christian you will want to home school anyway.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
The standardized testing scores and the disturbing trends (i.e. move to a four-day school week starting next year) in the Pueblo area schools speak for themselves, and no amount of fanboy spin will change that. If you want your child to have the best-quality public-school education available in the region, you won't find it in Pueblo.
So you know the future?

The issue facing distruct 70 is not the city of Pueblo as they are a county school district but the rural areas. It costs more per student there due to many factors. They are doing the best they can with the resources they have but this will have no impact on the city of Pueblo and to be honest I think will have no impact on them as well. Its not like they are going to school less they will just be going in 4 days.

IMO your kid will get a good education anywhere in Colorado.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM

299 posts, read 788,079 times
Bob makes an excellent point about the standardized testing scores. Also, the high schools in Pueblo do not do an adequate job of preparing students for college. From my own experience (and those of many people who I went to school with), I was nowhere near being ready for college when I got out of high school.

Granted, I didn't take any advanced classes during my senior year, but my first semester in college was a major wake-up call. For the most part, it seems like the focus of the high schools is to get students to graduate, not to prepare them for college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or