U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 AM

12,104 posts, read 20,393,831 times

Advertisements

I remembered how Pueblo recently passed a bond issue to improve the city schools. I can't find much on line but I did find this:

"As a community, we've also spent more than $100 million to improve our schools and school grounds."

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Special section will report on Pueblo's progress

That is a good article to read as it explains what Pueblo has done to improve ourselves in the past 15 years and is one reason we are now in the growth corridor and why Colorado Springs has come down to join forces with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 PM

138 posts, read 288,755 times
As someone who was educated in the north east I do not think that the Pueblo city schools can even begin to compare with those schools. Pueblo has a lot of work to do in improving their schools and I hope they are able to do. Most students struggle with reading and a lot more emphasis should be placed on reading in the Pueblo City Schools.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 PM

I do as I had friends who went to Deerfield Academy and in the end I got a masters and they did not. IMO its all what kind of effort you put into your schooling that makes the biggest difference.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 PM

138 posts, read 288,755 times
Usually it is the students and parents who have the most impact but its the teachers who do as well. Students want orderly classrooms and half I have been in have been, half been not. It is really difficult to focus and learn when a teacher has no classroom management skills, lets kids talk whenever, blare (sp?) their music, let them use their cell phones and so forth. I can not focus or learn in such an environment. Further many of the students are bored in their classes and the teachers don't do anything to make the students interested or excited about the class.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontopueblo View Post
Usually it is the students and parents who have the most impact but its the teachers who do as well. Students want orderly classrooms and half I have been in have been, half been not. It is really difficult to focus and learn when a teacher has no classroom management skills, lets kids talk whenever, blare (sp?) their music, let them use their cell phones and so forth. I can not focus or learn in such an environment. Further many of the students are bored in their classes and the teachers don't do anything to make the students interested or excited about the class.
I can honestly say I did not have that kind of experience in Pueblo. That is not to say I had some teachers I did not like but overall I was very happy with my education experience and I went to Pueblo Central. If I had to do it over again I would go to the same high school.

For fun here is a front view of my old high school, Pueblo Central.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-08-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 01:00 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,658,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I do as I had friends who went to Deerfield Academy and in the end I got a masters and they did not. IMO its all what kind of effort you put into your schooling that makes the biggest difference.
Anyone with an undergraduate degree and enough money can get a master's degree. I have three master's degrees, accumulated over the course of 20 years, and I can tell you from experience that many of my fellow students had no experience or common sense either coming in or graduating from the program. Those who got master's degrees immediately after undergraduate school with no real-world work experience under their belts largely wasted their (parents') money.

Certainly the effort each student puts into his education is a most important factor. But in the aggregate, when a community like Pueblo has a long track record of mediocre standardized testing scores, it indicates an aggregated combination of problems...poorly performing teachers/schools, an undereducated working-class or welfare culture that doesn't value or impart value of education to the children, and possibly other more damaging social pathologies. All will impact YOUR kids if you choose to live there and consign their education solely to the public schools there.

Even assuming that what Josseppie says is correct--that what kind of effort is what makes the biggest difference--then the test scores show that Pueblo's kids, as a group, aren't making the effort, and there is a reason for that.

No matter how one tries to spin it, Pueblo's poorly performing public education system is an indication of a problem there. But hey, those kids will have a nice little downtown riverwalk to panhandle on when they reach adulthood.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM

^ Again you and I will agree to disagree here. IMO Pueblo is a fine city to live and raise a family and that is why we are in the growth corridor and companies are moving here even during a recession. Lets see how the next 10 years play out, I have a feeling they will be good to Pueblo while other cities continue to struggle.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM

299 posts, read 789,430 times
Josseppie, the way you try to put a positive spin on everything amazes me. I think that Bob's arguments are valid. Our public school system needs to improve dramatically.

In small communities like Walsenburg and Lamar where higher education isn't a viable option for most students, it is understandable when schools have mediocre or below average standardized testing scores. For a community like Pueblo that is home to a pretty good university and a decent community college, mediocrity in the public school system is not acceptable.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,658,179 times
The first step in solving any problem is to recognize that there is, in fact, a problem.

Moderator cut: not necessary

Last edited by katzenfreund; 03-08-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 04:47 PM

^Is there always room for improvement? Yes. I just don't see it like you guys make it out to be. On top of that things are changing in Pueblo and fast. Keep in mind that back in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's Pueblo was a industrial town and education was not seen as necessary. People got out of school and worked at the mill making great money. That is one reason all the large universities are up north. That has changed and why you see the university growing and more of a emphasis on education, from K-12 to CSU Pueblo.

Look at the workforce in Pueblo now:

Only 14.1 percent are in the goods-producing sector; for the state, it is 14.2 percent. Pueblo is a manufacturing town no more. Education and health services are very important – 17.0 percent of the jobs versus 10.7 percent for the state. Two large hospitals, a state university and a community college are major employers.

* plus the Colorado State Hospital which they forgot to mention is a large and important employer.

The link: http://www.cobizmag.com/articles/the-economist4/

This is a fun time to be in Pueblo and one reason is we are not afraid to spend money to make us a better city. That is, also, why Colorado Springs has joined us in a economic development group, they would not have done so if things had not changed, but in fact Pueblo is expected to grow, attract employers and have large developments. Look at this from the Colorado Springs Business Journal:

"Debbie Miller, who also is the Greater Woodland Park Chamber of Commerce president, said the group’s decision developed, in part, on the results of a 2009 Brooking’s Institute study. “They found that the country’s largest future growth would occur in five key areas. One of those was along the Front Range of Colorado, from Fort Collins to south of Pueblo."

The link: http://csbj.com/2010/03/02/southern-...ellow-curtain/

This might seem off topic but its not. It just proves my point that Pueblo is changing and education is a important factor in that. Pueblo will continue to improve itself so there should be no issue for anyone moving into my city when it comes to education.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-08-2010 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or