U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:14 PM

7 posts, read 18,893 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother of a four yr old, and I am planning on moving to Pueblo, CO. I'm curious as to whether the school system there is a good choice for my child or not. I am currently enrolled in a four yr university, and I am also curious as to how well the college in Pueblo does, as I would be transfering there for my final yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 PM

12,104 posts, read 20,382,957 times
I think the school system is fine in Pueblo. I went to school in Pueblo and went on to get my MBA at USD.

CSU Pueblo is a great university and is the fastest growing university in the state. Depending on your degree it should be a good fit for you.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:24 PM

299 posts, read 789,068 times
Academically, CSU-Pueblo is a great school. The school spirit isn't very high, but if you are going to go there just to finish off your degree, It would be a good choice.

As for the public school system, some schools are really good, some schools are really bad, and there isn't much in between.

Where do you currently live?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 PM

138 posts, read 288,636 times
do not transfer there, they do not know what they are doing and will lose all your files as happened with me and three other transfer students. Finish your degree there and then come to Pueblo, Co

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 PM

That happens everywhere. CSU Pueblo is a great school and would be a fine place to get a degree from. Plus with the new football program there is more student spirt every year...

Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 PM

299 posts, read 789,068 times
CSU-Pueblo is a college that is geared more toward the non-traditional student (i.e. the student who is 25+ years old and has a family) than the traditional student who starts right after high school, lives on campus, etc. Many of the instructors tend to favor non-traditional students and cater to every need they have, even going as far as allowing them to bring their elementary school-aged kids to class with them on days where the elementary schools are closed. This can makes a mockery out of the classrooms sometimes. One time, I was in a classroom where there were about 20 students and 8 young kids in the room.

Other than the fact that they offered the degree program that I wanted, I chose to attend CSU-Pueblo for 3 reasons: It was affordable, I could live with my parents and not have to pay rent, and I had a very well-paying job for being a 19 year-old kid who had just graduated high school. I had looked into a few schools in the Denver area and applied for numerous scholarships, but when all of those fell through, I had no other choice. If I could go back and do it differently, I would have put forth more effort to get scholarship money and go to school somewhere like Metro State or CSU-Fort Collins.

Academically, the school is great. They offer degree programs in almost anything that you can think of, and the student-to-instructor ratio is very low. Over the last couple of years, however, the school has made students pay some onerous fees that have nothing to do with what they are trying to accomplish at the university. Also, Liberalism and Affirmative Action are very prevalent at the university, almost to the point that it is chasing several students away after their first year.

I understand that the University is growing and trying to improve itself, and 10 or 15 years from now, it might be one of the top schools in the state. Right now though, it has a lonnnnng way to go.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 AM

It is a university in transition from when it was USC and a state joke to being CSU Pueblo with major college sports. I agree it has a way to go before it is considered on the same level as CU Boulder or CSU Fort Collins that being said it has come a long way and I think a degree from there would be helpful anywhere you went in the United States.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:36 PM

138 posts, read 288,636 times
It would also be helpful to know what major you are pursuing as different colleges have different requirments and you will probably have to take more classes than you planned. I know a woman who transfered here from Las Vegas and has had to take nearly 36 additional credits that she would not have in Las Vegas and on top of it all it's out of state tuition.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:03 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,656,573 times
Beware: with regard to your child's education, Pueblo has recently been discussing reducing to a four day school week in their public schools due to funding shortfalls. The per-student funding levels and standardized testing averages down there are considerably lower than what we have up here in the well-regarded Colorado Springs D-20 and D-38 districts.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:39 AM

13,726 posts, read 21,548,097 times
Well the Rye/Colorado City area is great (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp?cmdSelect=getReportCard&schoolI D=39590&searchYear=2008 - broken link) for k-12 with Rye High School and Elementary and Craver in Colorado City... just 24 miles south of Pueblo.

And here's the kicker... you don't have to be rich to live there. A lot less crime too. There's some crime, but the whole town knows everybody, so... they keep an eye out for each other.

It's hard to find a job in Pueblo and the Colorado City area, but don't tell me that the economy in El Paso is all that and a bag of chips. Unless you're military or heavy into mega churches, why live in Colorado Springs when you can live in the Denver Metro area? If you're gonna go that route, go all the way.

If you want to live in a more rural area and be near a big enough town, I like Colorado City/ Rye or even Pueblo West. Their schools are good (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp?cmdSelect=getReportCard&schoolI D=39519&searchYear=2008 - broken link) too considering the surrounding area. The Pueblo County out on the mesa is ok too. The south west and extreme north parts of Pueblo are pretty nice and the rest of it is hit and miss. I'd stay well away from the charter schools in Pueblo. In Colorado Springs, I'd be careful too... unless you got the money... then I'm sure you can find a nice one like ECA.

District 70 in Rye/Colorado City area may take a hit, but they're not on 4 days yet. They may make it through.

So... there's the other side of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or