U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:33 PM

692 posts, read 1,043,896 times

Advertisements

I realize that climate-wise they are different. We'd like warmth for the majority of the time. I was considering Denver just because of all that it offers, and the beauty, but after some conversations with DH, I think we'd rather try out somewhere that doesn't get too cold We've lived in Georgia before, and handled that well- even with the humidity.

My question is, how's the climate in Southern Colorado? I've read the stats, but how does it actually feel? WDYT of Pueblo? We were considering moving to Pueblo about a year and a half ago, but went to NY instead... BIG mistake.

We just want to find the place where we'd like to "end up". Is Pueblo a good place to raise a family and is it good for start-up businesses? How's it "feel" down there? (weather, atmosphere, etc) Is it pretty safe?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:49 PM

2,755 posts, read 8,620,214 times
Pueblo is definitely warmer than Denver/COS, being in a bit of a banana belt of relatively low elevation. This difference isn't dramatic, however, maybe just worth a few degrees. We're not talking snow-free winters here by any means. Grand Junction, CO probably has the mildest winters in Colorado -- but that's still not saying much. If you're really looking for a warmer climate, you'll probably have to go all the way south to Albuquerque, NM. Due to elevation, southern CO (south of Pueblo) and Northern NM isn't really much warmer (if at all) than the Front Range cities. If you're looking for truly warm winters rather than just relatively mild winters, better head even further south to around Las Cruces, NM. Of course, Phoenix/Tucson (which apparently you're also considering) are warmer even than that.

I'll let Joss answer all your questions about Pueblo -- he's the local booster. I'll just point out that Pueblo isn't exactly the center of economic opportunity in Colorado -- that would be Metro Denver. However, if it works for you job, then it's not a bad place to live, from what I can tell.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 PM

299 posts, read 511,763 times
Pueblo's climate is ideal for someone who wants to experience all four seasons. The winters are fairly mild, we do get some snow but not nearly as much as other areas along the front range. Summers can be torridly hot, but humidity is never a factor. Springtime is very nice but very short, as we have had snowstorms hit in late March and early April. For the most part, Spring lasts from the middle of April until the End of May. Fall is the best season, and lasts a lot longer than Spring (Beginning of September through Thanksgiving). We have had some light snowstorms in November, but nothing really major.

Economically, however, Pueblo is a very difficult place to make it right now. Decent jobs are almost impossible to come by, unless you are going to work in healthcare or have some sort of skilled trade. Professional jobs are not in very high demand here. I would think long and hard about starting a new business here as well. What type of business are you looking into starting?

For raising a family, Pueblo is a so-so city. Most of the good schools are very political, and the bad schools are, well...BAD. The school district has turned a couple of the really bad schools into magnet schools over the last couple of years, and those seem to be very well, however.

Crime and gang activity is something that is becoming a very big problem for certain areas of the city. I would highly recommend that you stay away from the East Side, West Side, and especially Bessemer as these are the areas that have a lot of gang activity and a lot of crime.

Another thing that I will inform you of about Pueblo is the growing Hispanic population. Depending on where you lived before, you may walk into Wal-Mart and think that you have crossed the Mexican border. If I had to guess, I would say that 60% of the population is Hispanic, and depending on what public places you go to, you and your family may feel out of place.

Pueblo is a very affordable place to live compared to the rest of the state, and is not a bad place to raise if you can find a way to make a decent living. Personally, I would say that if you want to move to Colorado, look at the Denver metro area or at a place like Fort Collins, as these areas seem to have the best economic outlook in the state. Colorado Springs is an OK city as well, but they have more than their fair share of problems, which I will not detail in this thread.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM

692 posts, read 1,043,896 times
Wow, thank you for the great info, guys! excellent!

As much as I love Colorado, I'd hate to do something that I know would not work out in the long run. I don't mind the cold and snow, but my arthritis is to the point where it's almost debilitating in the winter. The humidity of the Great Lakes region doesn't help either. I'm pretty sure that the desert is just where I need to be. Well, at least I'll be closer to Colorado for vacations hehe

Thanks so much for the help.. Great info!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 PM

8,187 posts, read 13,323,867 times
Pueblo is more affordable than most places... but as Tfox says, what kind of business will you try to start here and will it succeed? I suppose that the cane and wheelchair manufacturers' are killin' it. Cardboard and duct tape are the preferred materials for autobody and windshield repair. Oh, do you know anyone who can really fix those hail dents? Healthcare, criminology, and hopefully... one day... not holding our breath, renewable energy.

If I were to send children to school, I'd think District 70, like Rye, Pueblo West, or maybe Pueblo County, but guess what? $5,000,000.00 shortfall is gonna maybe cost 30 jobs...

Things are looking bleak here in Pueblo. People are scrapping up dimes to buy cheese to put on their elbow macaroni. People are haggling the prices at the dollar store. Down here in Pueblo, people bring coupons to the Wal*Mart. We poor.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM

3,893 posts, read 5,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post

My question is, how's the climate in Southern Colorado? I've read the stats, but how does it actually feel? WDYT of Pueblo? We were considering moving to Pueblo about a year and a half ago, but went to NY instead... BIG mistake.
Climate in southern co? Pretty much same as northern CO. Maybe a little warmer. Maybe a little less snow.

Quote:
We just want to find the place where we'd like to "end up". Is Pueblo a good place to raise a family and is it good for start-up businesses?
Thanks guys.
I wouldn't think any small Colorado town is good for start up businesses nowadays.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 AM

17 posts, read 38,775 times
I Lived in Tucson for 2 yrs and loved it but summers are hot, use the sun to your advantage when buying a house. Monsoons are amazing if their cooling affect doesn't last long. Stay out of washes. I see Albq. as a nasty slum. They are very progressive if that is what you want.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:37 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,140,517 times
Canon City and Penrose are said to have the mildest winters anywhere in Colorado. That is per...Colorado Climate website.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 PM

5,219 posts, read 4,475,193 times
Come visit.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:59 PM

15 posts, read 74,284 times
Pueblo might be ok for retirement but its not a good place to raise kids or open a business. I have family there and all of the children got into a lot of trouble during the teen years because there isn't much to do there. By trouble I mean, drinking, drugging, and getting pregnant. The schools and neighborhoods aren't good there either. The weather is the best in Colorado though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado