U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 PM

781 posts, read 1,445,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The public schools are filled with illegal aliens kids who don't speak english and don't want to so it's a nightmare for the teachers to actually teach something.
Are proof of residency and/or citizenship not required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,591,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I don't even know what AP/IB is... Assuming AP=Advanced Placement, we had that when I was in high school but there wasn't much of a separation outside of the classroom itself. You could still get beaten up in the hallway or the parking lot regardless of what advanced classes you were in. In fact, that was MORE LIKELY to happen if you acted like you were financially, ethnically or intellectually above the other kids. But that was a long time ago so maybe it is different now.
That assumes the AP/IB kids aren't as tough or friendly with the non-AP/IB kids. At least for my kids that wasn't the case. Most of the very strong athletes you wouldn't mess with were also very good students. Also, the kids at all levels got along very well outside the classroom. I'm only saying this on the CO thread because you mentioned you were from here in NoVA. I don't see the same kinds of concerns on the VA forums about schools that I see on the CO and CA forums.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM

9,718 posts, read 12,540,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Are proof of residency and/or citizenship not required?
It doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't have children but I remember talking about it with local teachers, fellow locals and reading about it in the paper for years before I left.

Illegals live openly in the Vail Valley. Drive through Eaglebend apartments or Sunridge Condos, the mobile home parks in Edwards and Avon or perhaps in the summer time Kayak Crossing and half of the parking spaces are filled with cars with Mexican licence plates. Most of the major employers in the valley have had illegals working for them in some capacity at some point.

Some of the illegals have dropped off compared to a few years ago due to the shuttering of construction, but they are still there and yes their kids go to school.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM

2,438 posts, read 5,124,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That assumes the AP/IB kids aren't as tough or friendly with the non-AP/IB kids. At least for my kids that wasn't the case. Most of the very strong athletes you wouldn't mess with were also very good students. Also, the kids at all levels got along very well outside the classroom. I'm only saying this on the CO thread because you mentioned you were from here in NoVA. I don't see the same kinds of concerns on the VA forums about schools that I see on the CO and CA forums.
Well, since I still don't even know what AP or IB stand for it's really hard for me to say how they differ from other kids...
AP = Advance Placement ? (or Associated Press or...?)
IB = International Baccalaureate ? (or Imperial Beach or... ?)

Besides, my primary schooling experiences ended decades 20 years ago so I really have no idea what it's like to be in school these days.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,591,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Well, since I still don't even know what AP or IB stand for it's really hard for me to say how they differ from other kids...
AP = Advance Placement ? (or Associated Press or...?)
IB = International Baccalaureate ? (or Imperial Beach or... ?).
Your initial guesses are correct. In my neck of the woods, West Potomac is an AP school, whereas Mt. Vernon is IB. Most of the high schools back here offer one or the other. Not sure about your alma mater, although I do know that Stuart is in MV's sports conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado