U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 66,893 times

Advertisements

The Eagle County School District seems to cover both highly affluent areas (Vail) and many smaller rural towns. I am curious: generally speaking, do the wealthy families send their kids to public schools, or -- again, generally speaking -- are the affluent kids at Vail Mountain School while lower-income kids are in the public system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Why do you ask?

The Eagle district has a lot of problems, a lot due to political correctness. Most parents that can afford to send their kids to the local private schools. The public schools are filled with illegal aliens kids who don't speak english and don't want to so it's a nightmare for the teachers to actually teach something.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Why do you ask?
I ask because I'm intrigued with public school systems that encompass towns with such radically diverse income levels. It's not surprising for a town to have a few rich people and for them to send their kids to a private school while the majority of kids attend an average public school; likewise, it's not surprising to have an affluent area where the parents send their kids to the strong public school. But it seems Eagle is different, and I wanted to hear others' thoughts about it. Thanks to all who respond.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:20 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,107,697 times
Who can resist peeking into a thread with the words 'politcally incorrect question' in the title? Not me.

I can't speak for Eagle County residents but I can relate my own experience at a HS in Fairfax County, VA well over 20 years ago. We had daughters of politicians (e.g. Jamie Schroeder... remember her?) and sons (or was it grandsons?) of supreme court justices (e.g. Thurgood Marshall) attending our school and at the other end of the spectrum, we had kids from the public housing prjects there as well. Also, it was so ethnically diverse that PBS did a whole hour-long special a few years back about the benefits and challenges of so much integration in one school. Certainly, some of those high-profile parents could have sent their kids to privat schooling like most of the associates would have done. But, fr whatever reason, they decided that public schooling was a better choice. So the answer is, it's up to each parent. Not everyone who can afford it sends their kids to private schools and not everyone who sends their kids to private schools can afford it.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:29 PM

20,307 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Who can resist peeking into a thread with the words 'politcally incorrect question' in the title? Not me.

I can't speak for Eagle County residents but I can relate my own experience at a HS in Fairfax County, VA well over 20 years ago. We had daughters of politicians (e.g. Jamie Schroeder... remember her?) and sons (or was it grandsons?) of supreme court justices (e.g. Thurgood Marshall) attending our school and at the other end of the spectrum, we had kids from the public housing prjects there as well. Also, it was so ethnically diverse that PBS did a whole hour-long special a few years back about the benefits and challenges of so much integration in one school. Certainly, some of those high-profile parents could have sent their kids to privat schooling like most of the associates would have done. But, fr whatever reason, they decided that public schooling was a better choice. So the answer is, it's up to each parent. Not everyone who can afford it sends their kids to private schools and not everyone who sends their kids to private schools can afford it.
JEB Stuart HS in the Falls Church area once had 100+ languages spoken in the hallways. People at my Army agency tutored some of them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
JEB Stuart HS in the Falls Church area once had 100+ languages spoken in the hallways. People at my Army agency tutored some of them.
yeah, that was my school. Haven't seen it since the day I snuck off campus for the last time.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:17 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Folks in the West don't seem to have figured out the AP/IB tracking systems that basically create private schools within the public schools. You could have loads of disadvantaged kids in a school here in Northern VA and affluent people with smart kids would still send their kids there because they know they'll be in a separate high performance learning environment.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Treedonkey and Mike from Back East are echoing the sentiment I was trying to capture. Back in the day it appears public schools were the destination for both very affluent and very poor children; there was an unwritten social contract that reflected parents' desires to have their kids educated in a public school where their kids would have interactions with all types of kids and that those interactions would better help them as adults.

I was inquiring if this was still the case with Eagle schools; it would appear that it is not.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:19 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,414,224 times
Not true CAVA. My oldest son went to Smoky Hill High School AND he was in the IB program....BTW...he is now 32.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Folks in the West don't seem to have figured out the AP/IB tracking systems that basically create private schools within the public schools. You could have loads of disadvantaged kids in a school here in Northern VA and affluent people with smart kids would still send their kids there because they know they'll be in a separate high performance learning environment.
I don't even know what AP/IB is... Assuming AP=Advanced Placement, we had that when I was in high school but there wasn't much of a separation outside of the classroom itself. You could still get beaten up in the hallway or the parking lot regardless of what advanced classes you were in. In fact, that was MORE LIKELY to happen if you acted like you were financially, ethnically or intellectually above the other kids. But that was a long time ago so maybe it is different now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado