U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:18 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,930,751 times

Advertisements

1.5 feet at Vega reservoir on the Mesa last night. Practically nothing in Grand Junction.
Jazzlover's got a good point about staying out of the backcountry for a few days, especially down in the San Juans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,313,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
1.5 feet at Vega reservoir on the Mesa last night. Practically nothing in Grand Junction.
Jazzlover's got a good point about staying out of the backcountry for a few days, especially down in the San Juans.
I'll take 1.5 feet of snow over 1.5 inches of ice.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 PM

16,193 posts, read 20,227,013 times
Default budget cutbacks rears its ugly head

I was going to post this on a separate thread but beings as this one addresses yesterdays storm I'll use this one.

Get ready for some surprises if you haven't been surprised already regarding road funding. Yesterday morning I was on the road early, heading to Albuquerque to visit close friends. Technically, there are 5 different ways to get there from Grand Junction. I picked state hwy 141 that goes through Gateway, Naturita, and links up with U.S. 491 at Dove Creek. During the winter I always take this road. Other than Jazzlover and 80's Keys, there probably isn't that many people on this board who is familiar with all 5 roads, but I hope I'm mistaken. I'm quite sure both JL and 80's knows these roads as well as myself.

Imagine my surprise when I pass Gateway and I see new signs that have been put up (I'm guessing a few months ago) and they say "No Snowplowing from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. And several miles up the slick (but sanded) road it turned to snow immediately. I was driving on 5 inches of snow (and coming down like crazy) and the snowplows hadn't gotten there yet. And drove it to Nucla. And drove it to Edgar, about 12 miles from Dove Creek (climbing Slick Rock Hill was pretty interesting!). Visibility was maybe 700 feet, snowing like hell, and I was glad I wasn't in the Buick.

I knew this was coming. People who think that highway maintenance has been spared from the huge cuts in every department better think twice. The Interstates will get priority, the U.S. highways are next, and the state and local roads are down below on the priority list.

Fortunately I know the roads over here like the back of my hand. I was in my Jeep and didn't have much trouble maneuvering (pulled some people out of ditches). But people better get clued in to the fact that the budget ax is hitting every department. That snow was on the ground from 3 p.m. the previous afternoon.

It wasn't but two summers ago that I would go through the Eisenhower Tunnel and see a 50 foot yellow banner above the tunnel approaches on both sides advertising for "truck drivers and road maintenance people- apply at Colorado State Government.Org.) or something like that anyway. Those banners, if memory serves, also rewarded people of a sizable cash bonus if you applied by a certain date and time.

Well, those days have come and gone!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-21-2010 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: spelling, addition

Old 02-20-2010, 10:42 PM

9,610 posts, read 17,753,601 times
I hate wet snows. I have family in colo & they tell me the snows dont last long in co. Colo gets over 300 days of sunshine per year so that lady didnt make a mistake of moving to co. Maybe she should move further south to canon city,co. Its warmer their in winter & much less snow then colo springs & denver.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:49 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,058,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I hate wet snows. I have family in colo & they tell me the snows dont last long in co. Colo gets over 300 days of sunshine per year so that lady didnt make a mistake of moving to co. Maybe she should move further south to canon city,co. Its warmer their in winter & much less snow then colo springs & denver.
Depends what elevation you are at and which way the mountains are oriented and all that.

The 300 days a year is a misnomer. Colorado days have a variety of weather, don't like it wait 15 minutes cause it will change.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:10 AM

377 posts, read 896,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post

Somebody with Colorado tourism made that one up. But it sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

From the Colorado Climate Center --
"Of course the answer will differ from one location to another in Colorado with the most sunshine occurring down around Alamosa with the least around Boulder and in the northern mountains of the state. -- In the Denver area there are probably only 30-40 totally overcast days per year, and some of them are even fairly bright -- about 300 days would have at least one hour of sunshine sometime during the day, but only about 115 days per year fit the classic definition of 'clear'."

Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,930,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I knew this was coming. People who think that highway maintenance has been spared from the huge cuts in every department better think twice. The Interstates will get priority, the U.S. highways are next, and the state and local roads are down below on the priority list.
As the lack of road maintenance becomes the norm, it'll be interesting to see what kind of trickle-down impact it has on other aspects of the local economies.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:10 PM

23 posts, read 38,363 times
This lack of road maintenance has supposedly always been practiced according to CDOT - they just now put up the signs. It was discussed a month or so ago when the signs first went up.

And since Coloradans are so perfect in all aspects, perhaps they could learn how to properly merge on a freeway instead of entering at 25 up until the last point or perhaps they could get off their darned cell phones for a second instead of slowing up a left lane on US 36.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-21-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 PM

314 posts, read 598,877 times
Hey, I lived in Northern California for years, where it snowed every single winter. Did my share of digging my car out, having the driveway plowed by the guy up the street for $15.00 a pop, and still own a brass-blade window ice scraper. Also had the thrill of having the power go out for days at a time and only the woodstove for heat during snow storms. Stop painting an entire huge state with one brush!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:07 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,609,135 times
California is a gigantic melting pot and we natives try not to judge immigrants too harshly....to do so only shows prejudice and ignorance.....sooner or later they learn.....

If someone had plowed my driveway, I certainly would have produced a cup of coffee, (however, if she is Mormon, she might not have any coffee in her house), or better yet, maybe given a gift basket or a loaf of homemade bread later on down the line.....same with taking me for groceries.....

It sounds like the woman is very stressed at this point. She did exactly what the people at the store suggested and it didn't fix the problem so you really can't blame her for her ignorance. She needs to be educated by someone who cares....not someone out to make a commision on the sale of a home.

Moving is a very traumatic, exhausting experience; a big job, overwhelming.....it is so easy to judge, but honestly, you have no idea about her life until you have walked a mile in her shoes...for all you know, she could have left a very abusive relationship and has never been on her own before...

Let her go through a season and 'maybe she'll learn'.... If she doesn't learn, maybe she'll be open to friendly suggestion so that she doesn't have to go through this anymore.... All in all, I hope that she is grateful and expresses her gratitude later on when life slows down for her.

Put a little sugar on your sour grapes. She might end up being a very nice person who might pay it forward someday when somebody needs her help....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado