U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:23 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,284,209 times

Advertisements

A true gentleman would have helped the lady in distress, expected nothing in return, and not made mention of her lack of saavy in such matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I live in Colorado Springs. Today, as I was driving downhill on a street in Briargate, the person in front of me in a Honda CRV AWD was sliding all over the road and finally slid into the curb. As I went by, I noticed that she just had street tires. She was discovering that her AWD was useless.

I have always put on winter tires, Blizzaks. My car is an old front wheel drive, but it gets around fine in the snow. Since I have lived here, I have seen many SUVs flipped over on the side of the road.

People, the brakes stop the wheel. The tires stop the car. If you want to get around in the winter, make sure your vehicle has winter tires. There is no substitute.

A set of winter tires costs $400. I cannot think of one accident which costs less.
I live in MN and have a Honda CRV with regular all season tires and get along just fine - better than many others. This is my 15th year with this old sweatie and I see no need for snow tires. MN can beat CO in snow anyday.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:47 PM

16,189 posts, read 20,208,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestr View Post
This lack of road maintenance has supposedly always been practiced according to CDOT - they just now put up the signs. It was discussed a month or so ago when the signs first went up.

And since Coloradans are so perfect in all aspects, perhaps they could learn how to properly merge on a freeway instead of entering at 25 up until the last point or perhaps they could get off their darned cell phones for a second instead of slowing up a left lane on US 36.
That's a fair criticism. I am doubly aggravated on this issue with not only people gabbing away on the phone, but blowing through stop signs, drifting into your lane, and in general not paying attention to the road-period. And this state had the opportunity to put some teeth into the law regarding driving with cell phones regarding everybody, not just teenagers, and didn't do it.

Getting back to the original topic, on the snowstorm. Hopefully someone can answer this question for me. It has been decades since I had to go to the drivers license bureau for anything at all, with the exception of the change of address when I bought property, and eventually moved to the Grand Junction area in the late 1980's. I haven't the foggiest idea as to what the drivers license manuals look like. Do they emphasize winter driving? Do they show driving techniques in winter storm situations?

This area just doesn't get the storms that the front range does, with the exception of the big storm here on December 9th, and on the other side of the coin is that they don't get that string of 50 degree days either. And after that storm came through here right away I could tell who had lived in this area and was able to drive safely and who has not. There was ice and snow on these streets for weeks. I don't know how many times I almost got run into. And after a week or two people were screaming about the streets not being plowed. I guess they didn't read the travel brochure before they decided to settle in on this area. A lot of the people I heard complaining kept on saying that they thought Colorado's winters were mild. They see the front range coming in with a string of 50 to 55 degree days in January and they can't figure out why this area reminds them of Minnesota.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-21-2010 at 06:56 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 07:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,092,933 times
I have mixed feelings abut Jazzlover's post but I have to agree with him to a point. Sounds like this woman did no homework on her new location. I can't imagine moving anywhere and not doing thorough research on the area. She does sound a bit clueless to me as well. Also, she sounds like rather than learning and attempting to do for herself in the future, she will continue to expect those who have helped her to continue to do it. She needs to move if she can't afford to have her drive plowed and she needs to learn to listen to the weather reports and stock up. OK - she needs major education but somehow I don't think that's going to solve this problem.

Moving can be tramatic and no one knows what her circumstances may have been so maybe I'm being a bit hard as well.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:40 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,419,394 times
I can understand her "Utopia" like attitude!!
In 2007 ,...my husband and I moved on the beach in Vero Beach Florida. I INSISTED that I wouldn't move there unless I was on the ocean..period!!!!
Thank Goodness we kept our home here in Canon City, Colorado!!!!YAY!!
Anyway...my sister (who also lives on the beach, in Daytona)..warned me about the sand and bugs!!!! Did I listen...NO!!!!! Ate me alive they did!!!
We moved back 1 year later!!
I had sand in my brand new fridge for gosh sakes!!! How does THAT happen???? Mind you, I was directly in the sand on the ocean! But hey, there are walls, right??
I would rather shovel snow and be happy most of the year here!!
Warn people ALL YOU WANT...but....when they see those wonderful pamphlets of Colorado,....they are sold and then,...shocked when reality hits!! Just like I was with Florida!!!
I would have given ANYONE the shirt off my back just to keep my bug bitten legs from itching and bleeding.....I am sure she is just as panicked and worried and, would do the same. She will likely HAVE to at some point!! OR....MOVE..like I did!!! Such is life..... a BIG learning experience!!!!
I tend to cut most some slack.....unlike some!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM

9,605 posts, read 17,733,474 times
I think so.ca/inland has more days of sunshine then colo plus its hotter. I have a chance to move to cc & i might just do it. I dont like living in ca anymore.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,845,523 times
Wink Some real snow

If that lady had come from Truckee, CA (near Lake Tahoe) this storm wouldn't have fazed her. They routinely measure snow there by the feet, all winter. Sometimes, and it does indeed happen, if not in Truckee then elsewhere in the Sierra Nevada, one finds the easiest egress from their home is the second floor window.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:23 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,284,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
If that lady had come from Truckee, CA (near Lake Tahoe) this storm wouldn't have fazed her. They routinely measure snow there by the feet, all winter. Sometimes, and it does indeed happen, if not in Truckee then elsewhere in the Sierra Nevada, one finds the easiest egress from their home is the second floor window.
I hear they don't really worry about stocking up on groceries there since they just eat their neighbors if they run out.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:17 PM

118 posts, read 268,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cava1990 View Post
i hear they don't really worry about stocking up on groceries there since they just eat their neighbors if they run out.
:d

Old 02-22-2010, 02:07 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,915,728 times
By far the two heaviest snowfall areas in the continental U.S. are the Sierra Nevadas and the Colorado Rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado