U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:01 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,879,899 times

Advertisements

Yes, this is a story tailor-made for my telling, one of those just too dumb to be made up. I talked to a friend of mine yesterday. It was snowing like crazy and starting to stick. He and I (and he is also a native Coloradan, and one who spent years living in the "snow country" of northwestern Colorado before transferring to Colorado's west central valleys) commented to each other that this storm looked like one of those wet spring-type winter storms that would make a pretty good "dump" of snow. It was (is)--with about 6-8" of really wet snow on the ground this morning at the lower elevations.

During our conservation yesterday, he brought up his new neighbor down the road a bit from him. He lives about 8 miles out of town on a small acreage "in the desert." His new neighbor is an ex-Californian, a single (widowed/divorced?) woman in her late 40's or early 50's. She bought a $350K house and drives a late model Lexus (rear wheel drive, more about that in a minute). My friend describes her as a "crystal-gazing, aging hippie" type. Back when we got our first big snow for the winter just before Christmas (about 8"-10" of dry snow), my friend--a caring type--decided to stop by his new neighbor's house to check on her welfare. He found her outside with a bag of snow-melt, sprinkling it on the nearly 10" of new snow. He related this conversation.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Putting this stuff down to melt the snow. They told me it would melt it at the hardware store," she replied.

My friend could hardly keep from busting a gut. "Don't you have a snow shovel?" he asked.

She continued, "No. I don't understand. I just can't believe it snowed this much. The real estate agent (you just gotta love those slimeballs) told me that it never really snows here."

"Well, that ice melt isn't going to do the job. You won't be able to get out of your driveway with that RWD car, either, unless you get your driveway plowed," he opined.

"I can't afford to get that done on my limited income. I just don't know what to do," said the lady.

Now my friend thought to himself, "You've got a $350K house, a Lexus in the garage, and you don't have enough money to get the driveway plowed. Sheesh." But, he remained civil, "Do you have to get out right away?," he asked.

"Yes, I don't really have any food in the house."

"OK," he said, "Hop in my pickup (a 4WD) and I'll take you town to get some groceries." Needless to say, he was late for work, but at least his feckless neighbor wouldn't starve. Later, she talked another neighbor with a front loader on his tractor into plowing her driveway--without offering a thing, not even a cup of coffee, as thanks.

Fast forward to this morning. My buddy called me--has has nearly a foot of wet snow at his house. I asked him about his neighbor. "She already called me in a complete panic," he said.

I asked him what he was going to do. "What I would like to do," he said, "is tell her to hire somebody to plow her driveway. And when she says she doesn't have the money, I'd tell her to sell that @#$%%^& Lexus and buy a beater 4WD. Better yet, I'd like to tell her to call that @#$%&*^% real estate agent that sold her her house and tell HIM to get his a** over there and shovel out her driveway. Of course, I expect to see him out there as soon as the snow melts down, pounding a 'for sale' sign up in the yard."

Now, I fully realize that most people who move to this state from elsewhere are not as clueless as this airhead, but there are enough of the clueless ones to drive their old-line Coloradan neighbors crazy.

As to the current storm, it is dumping snow in feet to southwestern Colorado right now--heavy, wet snow that will send the snowslide danger into the stratosphere. No doubt, some gonzo types will just HAVE get out in the backcountry, and probably a couple of them will wind up killing themselves in snowslides, along with endangering the lives of the people who bravely volunteer on the rescue squads to try to save them. For cripe's sake, stay out of the mountain backcountry for a few days, until the slide danger subsides.

Last edited by jazzlover; 02-20-2010 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 11:49 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,699,565 times
A bit jaded are we Jazz?? RP

Old 02-20-2010, 01:19 PM

87,037 posts, read 102,723,474 times
You forgot the "Amen", to this sermon on the mount.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:26 PM

4,235 posts, read 7,275,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Yes, this is a story tailor-made for my telling, one of those just too dumb to be made up. I talked to a friend of mine yesterday. It was snowing like crazy and starting to stick. He and I (and he is also a native Coloradan, and one who spent years living in the "snow country" of northwestern Colorado before transferring to Colorado's west central valleys) commented to each other that this storm looked like one of those wet spring-type winter storms that would make a pretty good "dump" of snow. It was (is)--with about 6-8" of really wet snow on the ground this morning at the lower elevations.

During our conservation yesterday, he brought up his new neighbor down the road a bit from him. He lives about 8 miles out of town on a small acreage "in the desert." His new neighbor is an ex-Californian, a single (widowed/divorced?) woman in her late 40's or early 50's. She bought a $350K house and drives a late model Lexus (rear wheel drive, more about that in a minute). My friend describes her as a "crystal-gazing, aging hippie" type. Back when we got our first big snow for the winter just before Christmas (about 8"-10" of dry snow), my friend--a caring type--decided to stop by his new neighbor's house to check on her welfare. He found her outside with a bag of snow-melt, sprinkling it on the nearly 10" of new snow. He related this conversation.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Putting this stuff down to melt the snow. They told me it would melt it at the hardware store," she replied.

My friend could hardly keep from busting a gut. "Don't you have a snow shovel?" he asked.

She continued, "No. I don't understand. I just can't believe it snowed this much. The real estate agent (you just gotta love those slimeballs) told me that it never really snows here."

"Well, that ice melt isn't going to do the job. You won't be able to get out of your driveway with that RWD car, either, unless you get your driveway plowed," he opined.

"I can't afford to get that done on my limited income. I just don't know what to do," said the lady.

Now my friend thought to himself, "You've got a $350K house, a Lexus in the garage, and you don't have enough money to get the driveway plowed. Sheesh." But, he remained civil, "Do you have to get out right away?," he asked.

"Yes, I don't really have any food in the house."

"OK," he said, "Hop in my pickup (a 4WD) and I'll take you town to get some groceries." Needless to say, he was late for work, but at least his feckless neighbor wouldn't starve. Later, she talked another neighbor with a front loader on his tractor into plowing her driveway--without offering a thing, not even a cup of coffee, as thanks.

Fast forward to this morning. My buddy called me--has has nearly a foot of wet snow at his house. I asked him about his neighbor. "She already called me in a complete panic," he said.

I asked him what he was going to do. "What I would like to do," he said, "is tell her to hire somebody to plow her driveway. And when she says she doesn't have the money, I'd tell her to sell that @#$%%^& Lexus and buy a beater 4WD. Better yet, I'd like to tell her to call that @#$%&*^% real estate agent that sold her her house and tell HIM to get his a** over there and shovel out her driveway. Of course, I expect to see him out there as soon as the snow melts down, pounding a 'for sale' sign up in the yard."

Now, I fully realize that most people who move to this state from elsewhere are not as clueless as this airhead, but there are enough of the clueless ones to drive their old-line Coloradan neighbors crazy.

As to the current storm, it is dumping snow in feet to southwestern Colorado right now--heavy, wet snow that will send the snowslide danger into the stratosphere. No doubt, some gonzo types will just HAVE get out in the backcountry, and probably a couple of them will wind up killing themselves in snowslides, along with endangering the lives of the people who bravely volunteer on the rescue squads to try to save them. For cripe's sake, stay out of the mountain backcountry for a few days, until the slide danger subsides.
Jazzlover,
You should post this in the California boards.
GL2

Old 02-20-2010, 01:43 PM

279 posts, read 600,510 times
Quote:
She bought a $350K house and drives a late model Lexus (rear wheel drive, more about that in a minute).
I just love the way you describe people....you know....the materialistic ones who come to this state and ruin everything for the wise old Coloradans such as yourself.

Quote:
Now I understand....we cant ALL be intellectually gifted like you. I wonder how far that "gift" will get you if YOU moved to a totally different environment....like the Australian Outback Desert where I came from...

I say good luck to her $350K house and the Lexus.

Oh....and tell your friend to send me her number, I'll be happy to plow her driveway....free of charge...

Old 02-20-2010, 02:08 PM

11,111 posts, read 12,501,220 times
Here in Ridgway maybe 4" of snow which is melting because the sun is coming out. My sisters in Delta got almost two feet of snow and power was out all night. Yes it was a wet heavy snow. When I moved here, the nice people in town told me what to expect, and to prepare for the wet snows of March. My Mustang convertible is tucked away in storage and I bought a used 4wd Jeep. Perhaps a good neighbor could enlighten this new resident to Colorado she may want to trade her Lexus in for a 4wd, and explain the finer points of shoveling snow and Colorado winters instead of making fun of her.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,995,524 times
Yes, because California is the only state in the country with people who haven't lived with snow.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:49 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,026,868 times
People on this forum act like everyone who moves here from California is from the state; the majority of people I know out here are from somewhere else. People never give me crap for being from Colorado. I find the majority of people here to be pretty tolerant and friendly to so called outsiders. I guess Colorado could start applying a tariff to all California plates crossing the state line; or better yet how about a complete embargo. Welcome to Colorful Colorado silly Cali Boy.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:20 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,977,192 times
I live in Colorado Springs. Today, as I was driving downhill on a street in Briargate, the person in front of me in a Honda CRV AWD was sliding all over the road and finally slid into the curb. As I went by, I noticed that she just had street tires. She was discovering that her AWD was useless.

I have always put on winter tires, Blizzaks. My car is an old front wheel drive, but it gets around fine in the snow. Since I have lived here, I have seen many SUVs flipped over on the side of the road.

People, the brakes stop the wheel. The tires stop the car. If you want to get around in the winter, make sure your vehicle has winter tires. There is no substitute.

A set of winter tires costs $400. I cannot think of one accident which costs less.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM

24,841 posts, read 30,134,786 times
I'm from California and the neighbor lady would annoy ME! But, there are clueless people everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado