U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 PM

10,880 posts, read 41,303,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I get the feeling you're more interested in touting your economic prowess than helping the OP. I don't recall anybody asking about your annual income, your retirement plans, or your woulda, coulda, shouldas. It's not relevant to the discussion at hand, and, frankly, bringing it up makes you look like a raging narcissist.
It's all germaine to the topic about finding bargains in the housing market in Denver ... to which I was responding to another poster on this thread. While you look at my response as purely narcissistic, I look at it as an insight as to how certain properties can show up at given price points.

The bottom line is it takes two interested parties to create a situation where a renter, or a buyer, can find a bargain. If the landlords/homeowners cannot get the rental/lease cash flow that they need to sustain a property, they're not going to give it away to somebody whose price point is below their cost of operations ... at least not for very long. Same thing for a home seller, they've got to be able to afford to sell it or it's a short sale and the funds or write-down come out of somebody's cash flow.

The poster obviously found somebody who had the financial ability to rent them a house below market South of Denver. Good for them. But how likely is that situation going to repeat?

They asked about my rental occupancy. It's been 100% for many years ... because I can afford to provide that opportunity in the rental market. The proof is in that very low turnover that I have in my properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Wait, so the OP asked for areas in Denver that were in his/her price range (~$300K) and about jobs for lawyers.

No, the OP qualified the question as to whether or not their budget price point would get them a certain level of housing in Denver.

I gave examples of both but I'm being deceptive? Interesting.

I'd call it less than candid when you assert jobs available in the legal field but don't mention the specialty. Coming forward after I point this out is not the same thing as being informative the first time around. I think it's great that you've discovered jobs that might work for the OP, I hope you've forwarded the contact information to them ....

I never said that all law firms are hiring or that these houses are going to make the perfect home. In actuality, the law firm where my friend works has attorneys working on the civil and business litigation - specific concentrations mentioned by the OP. I shed some light on the actual topic and didn't go off spewing gloom and doom.

My apologies for presenting positive information to someone looking to find a better life for himself/herself.

Now back to your regularly scheduled negativity.
Thank you.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,523,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
It's all germaine to the topic about finding bargains in the housing market in Denver ... to which I was responding to another poster on this thread. While you look at my response as purely narcissistic, I look at it as an insight as to how certain properties can show up at given price points.

The bottom line is it takes two interested parties to create a situation where a renter, or a buyer, can find a bargain. If the landlords/homeowners cannot get the rental/lease cash flow that they need to sustain a property, they're not going to give it away to somebody whose price point is below their cost of operations ... at least not for very long. Same thing for a home seller, they've got to be able to afford to sell it or it's a short sale and the funds or write-down come out of somebody's cash flow.

The poster obviously found somebody who had the financial ability to rent them a house below market South of Denver. Good for them. But how likely is that situation going to repeat?

They asked about my rental occupancy. It's been 100% for many years ... because I can afford to provide that opportunity in the rental market. The proof is in that very low turnover that I have in my properties.
I'm the one who asked those questions, and I agree that your answers to those questions were relevant to the conversation. I was curious about your occupancy rate because it might be an effective barometer of the rental market in the Denver metro; however, it is an extremely small sample and is therefore questionable, especially since half of your properties aren't even in the Denver metro, but are in a ski town in the mountains.

Your last paragraph, however, was egregiously boastful, and it had no place in this discussion. Your current and/or desired lifestyle cannot be considered germane in any way, shape, or form. It was bragging, plain and simple.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-02-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm the one who asked those questions, and your answers to those questions were relevant to the conversation. I was curious about your occupancy rate because it might be an effective barometer of the rental market in the Denver metro; however, it is an extremely small sample and is therefore questionable, especially since half of your properties aren't even in the Denver metro, but are in a ski resort town in the mountains.

Your last paragraph, however, was egregiously boastful, and it had no place in this discussion. Your current and/or desired lifestyle cannot be considered germane in any way, shape, or form.
Sorry, but I'm only a small investor on this forum who does actively seek out bargains in the marketplace so that I can hold them for appreciation and rent them out in the interim. You are correct that I represent a minute fraction of the rental ownership.

Sorry, too, that you take my last remarks as boastful. In many other threads here on C-D, these concerns of mine were part of the thread, appropriate, and have been repeatedly disclosed for years, and in the exchanges I've been truly humbled by many here who make my modest success through the years look like pretty minimal compared to what they've accomplished doing the same things I've been working at. I brought my situation into this thread because it's reflective of my ability to buy more rental properties in the area ... and that I'm actively searching them out and making offers. I think that separates me from a lot of the posters on this thread when it comes to knowing the markets as they exist in certain areas ... because while they're out doing whatever they do for a living, I'm spending a lot of my time pursuing real estate in the Denver area, and I can assure you that it's a very competitive market among capable/motivated investors. My perspective doesn't come from looking for a single residence to buy as a homeowner, it comes from trying to buy multiple residences at price points/quality where I can make cash flow with minimum headaches (so that excludes low price point housing, at least for me as an investor).

I think it's interesting that I can find all manner of other threads in C-D which support my take on Denver legal jobs and housing price points ... and pro's in the real estate business aren't coming forth on this thread and saying they've got lots of inventory which meets the OP's request, or folks who work in law firms saying they're all hiring (quite the contrary, they're saying that there are job freezes and layoffs ....). Help wanted ads in Denver sure don't reflect a good hiring market for lawyers ... and I've been around long enough catering to folk who could afford the cars I worked on for 30 years in Denver to know when lawyers and real estate agents were driving MB's and BMW's ... and when they aren't, or can barely afford to keep them on the road like they did in more prosperous times.

What I'm saying is that I have other economic indicators that tell me when there's prosperity and lots of money in certain job sectors in Denver and when there aren't.

But I suppose now there's folks on this thread who will chastise me for hijacking the thread again ... carry on ....

Might as well substitute that instead of mentioning actual specific housing per the OP or job opportunities, right? Getting judgemental about me certainly advances your case, doesn't it? So far, only one poster has come forward with the assertion that they know of job opportunites for the OP.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-02-2010 at 11:24 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 12:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,768 times
Thanks all. Next time, I'll inquire about people's take on abortion-- I think that would actually ignite less controversy.

I have actually looked quite a bit on realtor.com and found fairly spacious, nice looking houses in Broomfield, for example, for at or around 300K. Maybe more research and/or actually living there will tell me I need to lower my expectations but at this point, I'm not worried about the housing end of things. Is Broomfield not as nice (middle, upper class) as it seems? Any other burbs you recommend?

I am far more concerned about a job for me. Red Sox fan: Thanks for the heads up about your friend's firm. That's encouraging. Are you comfortable with giving me the name of the firm?

As for the future missus, I think the suggestion re substitute teaching is a good one.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 PM

85,053 posts, read 99,058,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPuddy View Post
Thanks all. Next time, I'll inquire about people's take on abortion-- I think that would actually ignite less controversy.

I have actually looked quite a bit on realtor.com and found fairly spacious, nice looking houses in Broomfield, for example, for at or around 300K. Maybe more research and/or actually living there will tell me I need to lower my expectations but at this point, I'm not worried about the housing end of things. Is Broomfield not as nice (middle, upper class) as it seems? Any other burbs you recommend?

I am far more concerned about a job for me. Red Sox fan: Thanks for the heads up about your friend's firm. That's encouraging. Are you comfortable with giving me the name of the firm?

As for the future missus, I think the suggestion re substitute teaching is a good one.
I like Broomfield. It is truly a "diverse" community in the real sense of the word. It has all kinds of housing, from low end to high. I also like that it is somewhat on the northern edge of the Denver burbs, with some open areas nearby. It has a huge Boulder County owned open space area that has the biggest pumpkin patch in CO (supposedly). It's great fun to go to, even now that the "kids" are in their 20s.

A friend of mine substitue taught for two school districts, Boulder Valley and St. Vrain (Longmont area) and said she could have worked full time between the two if she had wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado