Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 11,344 times

Advertisements

I am planning on visiting Colorado, perhaps the Estes Park area. I am from Texas and would love to show the kids some mountains and hopefully snow, mid March. We are not interested in skiing, I am hoping for a cabin for my family with two small children 7&5 and my father. Any ideas? I am looking at Rockmount cottages, husband and father love to fish- I don't know anything about colorado, except I want to visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
There are tons of cottages around Estes Park, however, Spring Break is a very popular season. They might all be rented already. You might be able to find a motel room in Boulder and drive to Estes for day trips. I'm not saying give up on the cabin, just offering an alternative if you can't find one.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:19 PM

279 posts, read 673,885 times
If you're looking at the Estes Park area which is on the east entrance of the Rocky Mountain National Park, then I would suggest Grand Lake which is on the western entrance. It would have all the activities for children, great fishing with 3 lakes to choose from (Grand, Shadow and Granby) for hubby and your father, you're right in the mountains, there will definitely be snow in mid march, the children could enjoy sleigh rides, and a walk down the main street board walk you will find many galleries and shops. Lots of trails, streams, waterfalls to visit.

I would recommend the Winding River Resort which have cabins with a variety of western themes to choose from. Also visit the Grand Lake Chamber of Commerce. There is a lot of information on their web site. Here are the links.

Winding River Resort, campgrounds and cabins near Rocky Mountain National Park

Grand Lake, Colorado | Rocky Mountain National Park | Colorado Mountain Vacations

Old 02-22-2010, 07:38 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
March is our snowiest month. Bring gloves, boots and winter coats.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
I don't believe that Estes Park is a big spring break destination. You shouldn't have trouble finding lodging. It's a beautiful place to spend time in March but as others mentioned it could be snowy. The Rockmount Cottages look nice. I will PM you with more info...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Speaking of motel rooms, there are a fair amount in Longmont and Loveland as well, which puts you 30 miles closer to Estes Park. 2beindenver is right on the weather. The snows that come in during March can really stack up if conditions are right. March is generally the snowiest month of the year. But the day after that snow the temperature can warm up 15 degrees with sunny skies. The C-DOT drivers keep the roads in good shape though.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkster36 View Post
I am planning on visiting Colorado, perhaps the Estes Park area. I am from Texas and would love to show the kids some mountains and hopefully snow, mid March. We are not interested in skiing, I am hoping for a cabin for my family with two small children 7&5 and my father. Any ideas? I am looking at Rockmount cottages, husband and father love to fish- I don't know anything about colorado, except I want to visit!
March is too early for fishing. Still a lot of ice on the water. River fish are still hibernating.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:02 PM

279 posts, read 673,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
March is too early for fishing. Still a lot of ice on the water. River fish are still hibernating.
This is true. The advantage with Grand Lake and Shadow Mountain Lake is that they are connected with a canal and water is pumped from one lake to the next, then released through a waterfall. Where the water is flowing it doesn't freeze and you can still fish at these places. I admit I don't go this time of year, too damn cold...lol...but there are fishermen there all the time. Ice fishing on these 3 lakes is also very good.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 11,344 times
Thank for your help- I will have to wait for June to visit, airfares sky high right now. I am concerned that it would been too cold for us- coming from a much warmer area. However, I still won't give up on seeing the mountains and snow.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:07 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkster36 View Post
Thank for your help- I will have to wait for June to visit, airfares sky high right now. I am concerned that it would been too cold for us- coming from a much warmer area. However, I still won't give up on seeing the mountains and snow.
Estes Park is great most of the year. I was there in late May 2003 and there was plenty of snow up in Rocky Mountain National Park, and lots of Elk roaming in the park at the lower elevations. Fishing should be better in May than in March. If you're in TX, you may want to drive up rather than fly up here with 4-5 people.

This photo is up on Trail Ridge Road, which is closed in the winter. This is in late May 2003.

Elk at the lower elevations in RMNP, which is near Estes Park.

The town of Estes Park as seen from the foothills; in this case at the top of the cable-tram ride.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado