Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:02 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times

Advertisements

Wow, what an abominable snowless ski season so far out there.

We are going into the New Year with most of the legendary (deservedly so) Back Bowls at Vail still closed. Usually they are 100% open by mid-December at the latest.

All the areas should have at least a good 50 inch base by now yet very few do, most still struggling heavily around the 30 inch base level where you still occasionally hit the top of rocks and stumps while skiing.

Anybody in the resorts want to chime in on this one? How does this season rank so far. Am I incorrect to say it's been horrible?

This could be a boon for the environment, with all the snow-riders staying home and not fouling up the air with their wasteful auto emissions to get to the slopes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 09:06 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,349 times
December's snowfall about 26% of 2008, few flurries predicted | SummitDaily.com

Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,680 times
Go to Monarch, 18 new in the last 2 days. RP

Old 12-31-2009, 09:15 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Colorado Ski Country Daily Snow Report | ColoradoSki.com

Old 12-31-2009, 09:28 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
People tend to forget that December is typically one of the drier months in Colorado. Scarce snow until after January 1st is not an uncommon occurence at all. Despite some big snows in certain areas, most of Colorado is below average for snowpack right now.

Personally, I don't give a rat's *** whether the ski areas have snow or not. What I do worry about is the winter snowpack available for summer streamflows. That is of far greater consequence, both locally and regionally, than whether or not people have a place where they can go to goof off. Fortunately, there is not a strong correlation between early snowpack and overall winter precipitation. In fact, the most moisture-laden snow in Colorado actually occurs in late winter and spring, a fair amount of that often coming after the ski areas are closed for the season.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Too bad for the folks spending all that money to come out to Eagle/Summit Counties for holiday ski vacations...but I'm sure the resort propaganda machines are spinning things as "the conditions are GREAT, come on up!".

Less open terrain = more people piling into limited terrain. No thanks!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,680 times
Vail is only 44% open and still want $97.00 for a lift ticket, go figure. RP

Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
but I'm sure the resort propaganda machines are spinning things as "the conditions are GREAT, come on up!".
There was a brouhaha about a Vail Resorts spokesperson doing an interview in Genesee during one of the big upslope storms last month, amid big fat flakes coming down all around (something to the effect of how much snow was piling up). While the mountains were completely dry and sunny. VR later said that they were simply talking about the excitement of a big snowstorm in general, and never said it was snowing at the ski areas, but still...

Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
This is quite comical- I just moved to VA and so many out here think CO is covered with snow and is so cold. Few believe me when I tell them Coloradoans jump for joy when it snows. I miss CO.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Too bad for the folks spending all that money to come out to Eagle/Summit Counties for holiday ski vacations...but I'm sure the resort propaganda machines are spinning things as "the conditions are GREAT, come on up!". Less open terrain = more people piling into limited terrain. No thanks!
All of the snow is in SW Colorado: Wolf Creek, Silverton, Telluride.

Talk about resort propaganda... I gotta believe that the Denver tv weather people must be getting some sort of kick-back. Last night a certain 9News weather person was chatting up the "excellent conditions" in Breckenridge. Say what? They got 4" snow yesterday but that's not nearly enough to have changed conditions drastically when there hadn't been any new snow in a week.

Fuzz, I read that a Summit Daily reporter was fired because he wrote about how all of the ski areas exaggerate their snow totals. I used to check the Colorado Ski Country snow reports but I doubt them now as well. We skied Winter Park on Tuesday. It was pitiful. They claimed a 32" base. Yeah, I suppose in the trees at the top of some run there may have been a 32" stash. I seriously doubt there was even 18" in many places. We dodged rocks and people for a few hours and gave up.

I realize it is still relatively early in the season and conditions can change with a nice 12" of fresh. But don't be disingenuous and LIE about how much snow is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado