Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:36 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Thanks for the info. You know almost everything about your area. Do you work for the visitor center?
Retired. No jobs. No bosses. Not a realtor. Realtor is tempting, but is not fun for those folks. Got a closet full of suits from a prior life as a career Army civilian employee. Anyone wanna buy quality suits for a 5'9" 200-pound man? Got a hundred neckties in the drawer....socks to match...braces...shoes... all the trimmings, tux too. But I need to work one more year to quality for SSA benefits some day, may have to re-learn how to tie a cravat...was in the IT side of the strategic deployment biz (my Army agency delivered wars, by sealift, all the beans and bullets too, brought it all back, made it look easy).

Last job was in Knowledge Management, a cool topic, reflected here in how this website shares knowledge of localities with those seeking it, concept is to make "already known" data available, not make everyone re-invent a wheel if they seek info....the info is "out there" somewhere, but you have to find it. City-Data is trying to put it in one place for everyone to easily find, a concept dear to my heart as a KM type....one of the unsung heroes in every town is the local librarian...my advice to people is to always seek their help, they are the knowledge keepers and are there to help people who ask...

s/Mike from back east
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 02:33 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Does any body have pics of Colorado Springs, Western Denver, or Ft Collins they can post

Old 06-01-2007, 03:18 PM

29 posts, read 161,486 times
Hey just click on city-data at the top left of your screen and then click on Colorado... there are tons of pictures of Ft.Collins, Denver, Lakewood, & Colorado Springs....

Old 06-01-2007, 03:52 PM

For all you people who want more pictures of Colorado ... Go to maps.google.com and click on street view and then click on Colorado..
You can actually walk the streets of Denver at street level... and the rest of the USA. Better have a high speed connection for this! .... hope this helps

Old 06-01-2007, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 12,022 times
JCFLIGHTS: We've looked both on the Front Range & the western side. From what we've learned, there are some pretty terrific hailstorms on the Front Range. I'm sure insurance rates on autos reflect that, not to mention what that would do to our little MINI Cooper. The SW part of Colorado looks okay, but housing seems kind of high for us. Of course, there's the whole job thing to consider, too. Hubby does telco for a hospital, so hopefully some hospital could use his services! We do have family here, but still want to move.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:41 PM

Where2Move2 : Cary is similar to Woodstock that is where we are at now. Lakewood Colorado would be the place that were looking to go if the wife agrees to go! Have you guys taken a drive out there to see if you like it? if not i highly recomend you do because they image you create in your head by looking at the pictures may not be the same when you step foot there. Dont get me wrong it is a beautiful place. You said your husband does telco support for a hospital? I would start by looking around on the actual hospitals website for more info on that. you can look at careerbuilder but they like to do contract stuff 99% of the time.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 12,022 times
Thanks for the info on Lakewood. We'll first do research on the Internet to see if it's worth the time & expense to drive there. Having lived in McHenry County all my life, I'm familiar with Woodstock. Thanks for suggesting we look at hospitals in the area we're considering moving to for a job for my husband. Once we figure out the place, then we'll scope out jobs! Keep pushing your wife to move. McHenry County is growing way too fast & unless you like dealing with the congestion, high property taxes, sweaty summers, shivery winters, etc., it's time to FLEE!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:57 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Default Heading for Co Monday

Well, its time for me check out Colorado. Ill be leaving Monday. If I find I like it, add 3 to your population in July. I want to escape Austin before the nasty heat of summer burns the flesh off my bones. Ill be in Colorado springs for 2 days followed by Denver for 3 days, and 2 days in Ft Collins. Im looking for the most Scenic picturesque places in those cities. I would like to buy a house with a view of the mountains. I also like walking trails, any sugestions. Hey JCFLIGHTS, I decided to just go ahead and be like Nike and "Just Do it" I hated my job here anyway, screw the notice. Looking forward to those Balmy summers, and cool evenings. Mike from back East says CO springs is the place to be so Ill be checking that out first, besides its first on the highway anyway.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
...snip... I would like to buy a house with a view of the mountains. I also like walking trails, any sugestions....Mike from back East says CO springs is the place to be so Ill be checking that out first, besides its first on the highway anyway.
Wait until you see Pikes Peak, from most anywhere in the area, right at your footsteps, as is the Front Range. Come up I-25 to exit 151 (Briargate Pkwy) and pull into the Shops and go down to Starbucks on the right, sit there and look at the mountains, watch the USAF planes towing gliders up and/or dropping sky divers out. Drive up the street and see some homes in Pine Creek or nearby areas. Have a meal at Culpeper's Louisiana Grill at Union and Research then go next door for fresh Gelato. Notice the houses around you, most in the $250-350k range, great schools, wide streets. Lots of SFH rentals here for very cheap compared to big city rents. Probably not too good for investors at this time as many rentals are sitting empty, but good time to be a renter. Much building going on along Powers Blvd, north end, from Woodmen up past Wolf Ranch and Cordera, etc. Lots of commercial going in (close to 300 acres of it) at hwy 83/Interquest/Voyager (exit 153).

Denver is huge by comparison. Most realtors say look at Parker, Highlands Ranch, Littleton, Golden, etc. Tons to see/do all over. Best mountain views are on the west side of Denver. Job will eventually determine where you land here, then most folks suggest renting a year until you really know what you like and where you want to buy.

Don't forget our favorable temps, low humidity, low bug population, great food, affordable prices and friendly people.

Have a safe trip and please keep us posted. You're gonna love Colorado.

s/Mike

Old 06-02-2007, 10:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2Move2? View Post
JCFLIGHTS: We've looked both on the Front Range & the western side. From what we've learned, there are some pretty terrific hailstorms on the Front Range. I'm sure insurance rates on autos reflect that, not to mention what that would do to our little MINI Cooper. The SW part of Colorado looks okay, but housing seems kind of high for us. Of course, there's the whole job thing to consider, too. Hubby does telco for a hospital, so hopefully some hospital could use his services! We do have family here, but still want to move.
In 27 yrs, we encountered one hailstorm bad enough to damage our cars. Our daughter's car was totaled. The other cars were ok, as they were in the garage. We took a settlement from the ins. co, rather than selling them the car, as it would have cost a lot more money to replace the car, and functionally, there was nothing wrong with it. The ins. rates went way down after it was totaled, can only get liability. So we tell her, don't let anyone else drive it, b/c we will have to pay to fix it no matter who caused what damage.

Western Colo is isolated. Long way from airports, which I assume will be important to you b/c you will be 'transplants' who will be visiting family and having them come to visit you. I would also suggest having job lined up or significant leads before moving. The job market is competitive here. Where do you live now? You mentioned Cary; the only Cary I know of is in N. Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado