U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:07 PM

10 posts, read 11,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontopueblo View Post
Pueblo has a lake, Cheyenne doesn't. That should be a good selling point there plus people will take 7.25 here although I think you should pay more than that.

How much should we pay for light assembly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,545,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scintilla View Post
We have to live there too. We aren't too sure we would like living in WY and think we would be happier in CO. We are willing to sacrifice some profit in order to live where we want. We have never been to WY, so we can't make that judgment yet.
In my last post I was probably pushing you to consider Cheyenne. From a dollars and cents perspective, it seems to me to be an obvious step up over anywhere in Colorado, and I can't think of anywhere else in Wyoming that would provide what you need.

However, there are reasons why you might prefer the Colorado front range over Cheyenne. One is climate. Cheyenne is much colder and windier than points south -- and the difference is very noticeable. Second is scenery, both natural and built environment. Wyoming certainly has more than its share of scenery, but it's fair to say that Cheyenne neither a particularly attractive town nor is it in an attractive setting, though that's not to say it's not a fairly nice town in its own right.

If you do decide to locate in Colorado and not Wyoming, I think that Northern Colorado (Fort Collins / Loveland) area would be ideal. Fort Collins and Loveland are very attractive towns with plenty to do, abundant mountain recreation, the amenities of CSU, with some of the best school districts on the front range. The cost of living there is not low, but MUCH lower than Boulder County and parts of Metro Denver. FC and Loveland are close enough to Denver for some of the needed amenities (not to mention the airport), but far enough away to be outside the Denver commuter belt. Fort Collins especially is known for a well-qualified, highly-educated (but underemployed) work force, which has attracted employers like Hewlett-Packard, Agilent, Intel, National Semiconductor, LSI Logic, etc.

If the cost advantages of Wyoming prove compelling, but you decide that Colorado offers you a better lifestyle and less windy climate, you do have the option of commuting from Fort Collins to Cheyenne. Fort Collins climate is relatively mild in comparison to Cheyenne despite being only 45 miles away. Some of the northern parts of the Fort Collins area could be as little as about 35-40 miles away. One issue though is that I-25 is sometimes closed on that route in winter. Obviously, commuting even 35-40 miles is not ideal. But, it could be an option if one of your potential relocatees just can't handle a town as small as Cheyenne.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:46 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,424,415 times
^ I have to chime in again. I have lived in Fort Collins and yes it is a nice town but the cost of living is much higher then in Pueblo. That is important for manfucturing and why Pueblo continues to attract new companies. On top of that Fort Collins has a traffic issue and it can be difficult to get around the town, even though its not much larger then Pueblo.

Northern Colorado use to have an advantage over Pueblo in terms of their university, Colorado State University, and that is why they were able to attract the kind of companies in the past Pueblo could not. That advantage was taken away when USC became Colorado State University - Pueblo and now is the states fastest growing university. That combined with Pueblo Couminity College gives Pueblo just as good of institutions who can trane a workforce and that is one reason you see more companies moving to Pueblo in the past 10 years.

Finally, Pueblo has a much better climate then Fort Collins, that is one reason CSU - Pueblo is growing. We get less snow in the winter and are much more mild and in the summer we have much better nights so it's more fun to go out on the town.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,640,777 times
Default WYO payscale

The $7.25/hr is sub-retail wages in Wyoming. WYO has a lot of oil jobs that require lots of manual labor and will train workers who have good references. The problem you will have is retention which is to be expected at $7.25 but is very annoying in manufacturing. I'd expect to pay $10/hr minimum in both WYO and CO if you want capable workers and have some kind of favorable retention percentage. Pueblo workers might take less as it would be manufacturing yet fairly "clean". That option isn't available there is a lot of heavy manufacturing but most light manufacturing is in DEN and north.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:47 PM

To be honost I don't know what you would have to pay in Pueblo to be competative and I don't even want to guess. On this issue you should call PEDCo as I am sure they would have all the information you would need. I do know Pueblo has a lower cost of living then the other cities so that is a plus.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM

10 posts, read 11,574 times
It looks like $9-$12 is the most common wage range for this type of work in CO and WY. Denver and Cheyenne were comparable in wages. Pueblo was a bit lower.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 PM

Interesting. To be honest I would of thought Cheyenne would of had lower wages then Denver, guess I was wrong. Does not surprise me that Pueblo is the lowest as we are the cheapest city to live in.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 AM

345 posts, read 852,172 times
I second the idea of a Northern CO facility. Both Fort Collins and Greeley have universities which would provide for a decent sized labor pool willing to work for those wages.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 AM

^

Umm so does southern Colroado. Pueblo has CSU Pueblo and Colorado Springs has University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. Plus we have PCC and PPCC.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:24 AM

345 posts, read 852,172 times
Here are the most recent figures I found with a quick search on enrollment.

CSU Ft Collins is 25,000
UNC in Greeley is 12,000

UCCS is 8,500
CSU Pueblo is 5,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado