U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You can find that in many parts of the nation. I'm from Baltimore and my favorite spots back east to recommend would be places like the Shenandoah Valley of VA along the I-81 corridor, as well as western Maryland towns like Oakland.
and a lot cheaper to visit and relocate to from MD than CO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
If you can handle living in the desert you might consider Grand Junction. It's got the small town feel you're looking for. It's a family oriented town. Peaceful. It's also close to a lot - and I mean a lot - of outdoors activites. It's large enough to have a decent mall and some shopping, as long as you're not too picky about real high quality shopping.

The drawback to Junction is that it's the largest town around for quite a ways. The next biggest town is Denver (250 miles).

Also if you're not used to living in the desert, it could be too much of a shock.

You mentioned youre' looking at TN. I personally liked TN a lot the couple times I drove through it. Loved the green, rolling hills. Real pretty.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM

103 posts, read 343,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbug3 View Post
looking for a great small town, with a town square,parades, a farmers market..your typical perfect small town..but with a larger area within a shortish drive for shopping. With some type of water in the area..lots of outdoor activities,parks etc. We have three small children and currently live in MD. Ready to leave the east coast, too $$$. Any suggestions? we have been told that Colorado Springs is a nice area. I know this is out there just can't seem to find it for ourselves.. I am a stay at home mom, and my husband is in construction...thank you..

Just had to respond to this.....we are a great small town...have a town square, great Farmer's Markets, have our own shopping with larger shopping areas close enough for an AM trip to Pueblo or Denver for a day trip. (At least it is close enough for a day trip for those of us who have Bronco Season Tickets). Only major traffic issues on way to weekends with grandkids in Denver are the Denver Boaters coming down highway 71 to the John Martin Reservoir for weekends. Pueblo Reservoir is also a mere 70 miles or so west.

Plenty of outdoor activities: Golf over 330 days a year with no tee times, Bent's Old Fort hiking trails, longest set of Dinosaur tracks in North America, great bike trails (we call them County Roads and they are traffic free), picnic in the painted Canyon Lands....for a start.

The Arkansas River Valley is probably the best cropland in Colorado, and some of the best Farmer's Markets for watermelon, cantalope, chiles, vegetables you'll find anywhere.

We are a town of about 8,000 in the Southeastern part of Colorado. We are on historic (3,073 miles long, coast to coast) US Highway 50, have great schools, friendly people and a great place to raise kids. On top of that, this is a great place to live and work.

For more about parades (Kids Rodeo...Early Settler's Day...and YES...High School Homecoming Parade), small town activities, etc., check out www.lajuntaevents.com

This summer our classic rock festival will feature Eddie Money. www.musicatthejunction.com for dates.

Don't want to repost, but search La Junta for more information. In fact, if you are really looking for small towns, with parades, town squares, etc....rural Colorado (East, West, North, South, Mountain, Plains) would be worth checking out.

We may not be the perfect small town, but we certainly enjoy living here and are proud of what we have to offer.

Check out www.VisitLaJunta.net for more about attractions in La Junta and Southeast Colorado.

Last edited by la junta econ devel; 03-01-2010 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Added some more information.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:30 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
La Junta also has daily Amtrak service via the Southwest Chief Westbound to Lamy (Santa Fe), Albuquerque, Flagstaff, and L.A. with good connections to San Diego, the Bay Area, and Seattle; Eastbound to Topeka, Kansas City and Chicago, with good connections to the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado