U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 5,506 times

Advertisements

We're moving out there this summer from Michigan. Planning on late June shortly after our son gets out of school. We've got friends in Denver and in Loveland but we're having a hard time figuring out which place would be best for us.

We're a family a 4 with two young sons, 7 and 2. Schools are definitely a top priority. He's a smart kid and really enjoys school, but needs to be kept busy and interested or he gets frustrated by the boredom. So smaller class room size is important.

My wife will be looking for work when we get out there and settled in. I work from home as a glass artist. I have an online store and have a few wholesale customers as well. So my work is basically wherever I take it. I just need space to work which means a garage. I don't seem to be finding too many homes in our price range of about 700 a month for rent with a garage on craigslist.

We'd prefer to have something setup before we get there for living arrangements so we're not "camping" for a couple of weeks. We've got 2 dogs and a couple cats, so that would get a little crazy I think.

Oh - and we'd need an understanding landlord. By understanding I mean that we've always paid our rent and have a good rental reference from a few years ago before we bought our current home. But our credit sucks because of all the wonderful stuff that's happened since america fell in the crapper.

So in other words, what area is going to be our best be to find the easiest going landlord, near the more desirable schools, with a garage, that loves pets, for 700 a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 PM

69,708 posts, read 59,955,448 times
What type of work does your wife do? Denver might be the better choice (than Loveland).

OTOH, rents may be less expensive in Loveland. It's true, you're not likely to find what you want for $700/mo.

You will find easygoing landlords and harda** landlords everywhere. I don't think town makes the difference.

Schools are generally decent around the Front Range of CO (I-25 from Ft. Collins to Pueblo). Of course, there is some variation from school to school.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 PM

She's done a lot of office type work. Not sure, but think she'll probably start out part time. If we stay towards loveland more her friend would probably babysit and she could eventually get into full time work.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM

Hmm. I don't really have any great advice. I don't think you're going to be able to find something w/o looking at it, especially at your price. There may be some "hidden gems" out there at $700/mo, but a house with garage that allows pets at that price could be a real dump, too. Maybe your friends could help you scout out some places.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 AM

That's what we're hoping for. How are the smaller surrounding, maybe a little more rural, towns? Here in Michigan they're typically cheaper and the schools tend to be pretty good. Maybe that's an option. I don't mind being out of town. I grew up in the sticks to say the least, but the mrs. still wants a hospital and walmart within 30 min drive.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 AM

3,894 posts, read 5,238,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameThrower View Post
I don't seem to be finding too many homes in our price range of about 700 a month for rent with a garage on craigslist.
you're right. $700 a month is really iffy and probably impossible for what you need.

Quote:
Oh - and we'd need an understanding landlord. By understanding I mean that we've always paid our rent and have a good rental reference from a few years ago before we bought our current home. But our credit sucks because of all the wonderful stuff that's happened since america fell in the crapper.
I don't know about the front range, but the rental market in Grand Junction is definitely not going well for the landlords. They're sitting on a bunch of vacant homes, which means renters have a lot of bargaining chips they can use.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameThrower View Post
That's what we're hoping for. How are the smaller surrounding, maybe a little more rural, towns? Here in Michigan they're typically cheaper and the schools tend to be pretty good. Maybe that's an option. I don't mind being out of town. I grew up in the sticks to say the least, but the mrs. still wants a hospital and walmart within 30 min drive.
This is not Michigan. The Front Range is city/suburb all the way from Ft. Collins to Pueblo. It is densest around metro Denver, which is basically Boulder/Weld Counties through Douglas Co. There are a few pockets of open areas in Larimer Co in the north (Ft. Collins/Loveland) and El Paso county (Colorado Springs) and Pueblo counties in the south. I'm somewhat familiar with MI, having grown up in western PA. It's just different here. There aren't these little independent towns 30 miles or so from the big city.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 PM

Ok cool, thanks for the heads up.

Posted a housing wanted ad on craigslist - hopefully that will open a couple doors.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 PM

2,220 posts, read 3,402,493 times
I have to wonder why you've made the decision to move to Colorado. You're setting yourself up for some real disappointment if you really require a place to live/work for $700/month anywhere near our front range cities.

You might be able to pull off something like that in the plains, like in Limon or maybe a little closer to the mountains, but then you're living in the same rural desolation that you can find anywhere in Michigan.

Does not compute from my perspective. Will the expense and uncertainty incurred by moving be worth it??

Old 03-04-2010, 10:43 AM

3,894 posts, read 5,238,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is not Michigan. The Front Range is city/suburb all the way from Ft. Collins to Pueblo. It is densest around metro Denver, which is basically Boulder/Weld Counties through Douglas Co. There are a few pockets of open areas in Larimer Co in the north (Ft. Collins/Loveland) and El Paso county (Colorado Springs) and Pueblo counties in the south.
come on don't exaggerate. There's nothing between Pueblo and CO Springs, and mostly nothing between CO Springs to Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado