U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,930,751 times

Advertisements

I-70 has reopened. Use I-15 to I-70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:42 AM

8 posts, read 28,817 times
Great...thanks! The Utah stretch was horrid...lots of snow which was not predicted and lots of slow traffic and accidents.....the rest was fine. More snow through the Vail area, but it was nothing compared to Utah and other than being a little slow was fine. Since snow is predicted for this weekend when we drive home, I think we will be heading back on I25, I40 then I10....do we pass through any tricky mountain areas that might get snow that we should make sure we hit during the day and not into the night???

Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM

20,349 posts, read 37,885,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHK74 View Post
Great...thanks! The Utah stretch was horrid...lots of snow which was not predicted and lots of slow traffic and accidents.....the rest was fine. More snow through the Vail area, but it was nothing compared to Utah and other than being a little slow was fine. Since snow is predicted for this weekend when we drive home, I think we will be heading back on I25, I40 then I10....do we pass through any tricky mountain areas that might get snow that we should make sure we hit during the day and not into the night???
Raton Pass, on I-25 at the CO / NM border. Check the weather for Trinidad, the last town in COLO on your way south, whatever that weather is, that's the weather for Raton Pass.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,852,203 times
Wink Certain aspects

The Palmer Divide area on I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs is prone to snow. Unless you are in the midst of a storm the remainder of I-25 should be okay, with the exception of the pass on the border of Colorado and New Mexico. In bad conditions it is sometimes closed, otherwise usually not a concern. There are lodging options on either side of it, in Trinidad, CO, and Raton, NM on the far side.

If by Albuquerque, NM and the weather still doubtful, you might best continue south on I-25 to Las Cruces, NM, thence west on I-10/I-8. Sections of I-40 between Albuquerque and Flagstaff, AZ can get nasty at times if in a storm. In such conditions Flagstaff is likely to have a good deal of snow as well, but it is more sheltered, the real difficulties being on the plains east of it. And then not far from Flagstaff, shortly west of Williams, AZ, all changes as one drops significantly in elevation.

As you surely appreciate now, long portions of I-70/I-15 can prove no picnic in inclement weather. But otherwise the preferable route, and conditions this time of year can change fast. What was rather nasty in Utah might be but memory now. Maybe not. A resource such as UDOT might help in such a determination:
UDOT - Utah CommuterLink

Old 03-18-2010, 01:50 PM

268 posts, read 381,525 times
I've gone from Grand Junction to San Bernardino, CA at least twice or more every single year since I was 12 years old. Last year I drove down 5 times. I'll be heading that way at the end of the month also.

Trust me when I say, regardless of weather conditions, I-70/I-15 is always the better route. ALWAYS.

This time of year, I'd suggest timing it out so you can hit most of Utah during the day (assuming you're from CA, you probably won't mind the mild heat if the weather is clear), and hit Nevada in the late evening.

Even if it's snowing, you'll find that there is enough traffic through there that the road will only be wet during the day and won't get icy until late at night, especially this late in March.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or