U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 PM
 
Location: most beautiful place ever
1,836 posts, read 3,490,404 times
Reputation: 1430

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote:
I'm sorry, but I find nothing "happy" in propaganda from the real estate people that says essentially that residential real estate in Durango is going to stay priced at least 2 1/2 to 3 times what most people making a local income can TRULY afford. Maybe that makes the trust-funders and equity locusts that bought at the top of the market happy , but it's a tragedy for the people that have the quaint idea that they should be able to actually afford to buy a home in the community in which they work. And, I'm not talking about the minimum-wage worker bees here, but middle-class people with middle-class jobs and incomes.
OK jazz, here's bit of sarcasm right back at ya

Bless me father for I have sinned. I have committed the sin of being "happy" that residential real estate in Durango and other locations is going to stay priced at least 2 1/2 to 3 times what most people making a local income can TRULY afford. I have come to this great sin by a string of unfortunate events. In 1991 I bought a house to live in. But it gets even worse. During the 15 years I lived in that house, I had the great misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and my home tripled in value. Please forgive me father I feel sooooooo bad about that. But that's not all father. I compounded my great unforgivable sin by having the poor judgement of moving to a place where real estate was less costly. I feel incredibably bad about being so shortsighted and looking out for my own best interests rather than the interests of people I don't even know. A truly enlightened being would have put them first. But I failed to do that father, and now the big kids are calling me an equity locust and it hurts so bad. Please forgive me father. I know I have been a sinner to the nth degree, but I continue to sin every day by being happy that the value of my current home has not depreciated as much as some who are free of sin are hoping it will. Please forgive me...I don't want to burn in hell.
I've sinned, too! i am one of "those" with a pocketful of money from the sale of my previous house that moved to the Durango area recently! i feel like a 'cartoon character'-smiling, happy, and having lots of fun!! wahoo!
OH! AND the cost of living here is a lot cheaper than where I came from. how about it!!

 
Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Durango, CO
118 posts, read 268,827 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
I've sinned, too! i am one of "those" with a pocketful of money from the sale of my previous house that moved to the Durango area recently! i feel like a 'cartoon character'-smiling, happy, and having lots of fun!! wahoo!
OH! AND the cost of living here is a lot cheaper than where I came from. how about it!!
Why, how can that be? From what i've read here, Durango's a wretched place.

I'm with you, brother...i still wake up almost every day and pinch myself to be sure it's real. If we ever cross paths at Carver's, Old Timers, Ska or any of the other 50 or so places in town to grab a beer, first round's on me and we can commiserate over how awful the Rocky Mountain West has become.
 
Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
 
Location: most beautiful place ever
1,836 posts, read 3,490,404 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse View Post
Why, how can that be? From what i've read here, Durango's a wretched place.

I'm with you, brother...i still wake up almost every day and pinch myself to be sure it's real. If we ever cross paths at Carver's, Old Timers, Ska or any of the other 50 or so places in town to grab a beer, first round's on me and we can commiserate over how awful the Rocky Mountain West has become.
sounds good!! as long as my husband can join us!!
 
Old 03-12-2010, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Durango, CO
118 posts, read 268,827 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
sounds good!! as long as my husband can join us!!
absolutely. same goes for my wife and possibly our 8 month old daughter.
 
Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,496,039 times
Reputation: 9292
jchasse and stoymonkey....On your way to the restaurant, watch out for the equity locusts, trustafarians, and transplants. Word has it that they have taken over Durango and they want to destroy it along with all of the other mountain towns in the western USA. They hate small towns and the smalltown lifestyle. They want to turn Durango into another southern California with freeways, liberal whackos, and beautiful people running about everywhere. They are not to be trusted, so keep your eyes open and be wary of them. If you see one, go to the other side of the street for your own safety. It is best not to ever walk on that side of the street again. If they walked there once, chances are they will walk there again. So always walk on the other side of the street.
 
Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
4,914 posts, read 8,946,118 times
Reputation: 2464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse View Post
I'll go out on a limb and say that the realtors i talk to at least every second day actually believe that things are turning.
Most people including realtors are short sighted.
 
Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Durango, CO
118 posts, read 268,827 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Most people including realtors are short sighted.
Not sure what your point is. I mean, if you look far enough out in time any prediction stands a pretty good chance of being close to correct at some point (even a stopped clock is right twice a day, right?)

are you saying you honestly believe real estate values will be lower in durango in, say, 3-5 years than they are today? I can't say you'd be wrong, but i'd personally bet the other way.
 
Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Durango, CO
118 posts, read 268,827 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jchasse and stoymonkey....On your way to the restaurant, watch out for the equity locusts, trustafarians, and transplants. Word has it that they have taken over Durango and they want to destroy it along with all of the other mountain towns in the western USA. They hate small towns and the smalltown lifestyle. They want to turn Durango into another southern California with freeways, liberal whackos, and beautiful people running about everywhere. They are not to be trusted, so keep your eyes open and be wary of them. If you see one, go to the other side of the street for your own safety. It is best not to ever walk on that side of the street again. If they walked there once, chances are they will walk there again. So always walk on the other side of the street.
between that and the sinner post, this thread is definately worth the price of admission.
 
Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
4,914 posts, read 8,946,118 times
Reputation: 2464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse View Post
Not sure what your point is.
That it means very little if a realtor says they think the economy is turning around.

Quote:
I mean, if you look far enough out in time any prediction stands a pretty good chance of being close to correct at some point (even a stopped clock is right twice a day, right?)
This does not help in any way in trying to time the purchase or sale of a home.

Quote:
are you saying you honestly believe real estate values will be lower in durango in, say, 3-5 years than they are today?
I would say there could be a good chance of that.

Quote:
I can't say you'd be wrong, but i'd personally bet the other way.
I'm sure plenty of people in 1933 placed bets that the stock market would go up. Which it did ... two decades later. Not the timeframe they had in mind.

Anyway, the point is that trying to predict markets is pointless: it can't be done. Real estate values in Durango can just as easily go down as go up. Nobody knows.
 
Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,496,039 times
Reputation: 9292
80skeys wrote:
the point is that trying to predict markets is pointless: it can't be done. Real estate values in Durango can just as easily go down as go up. Nobody knows.
Now this I can agree with in totality. A predction is nothing more than a guess at best, and ususlly more like wishful thinking than anything else. Predictions are just thinly disguised, egotistical attempts to pawn off a personal viewpoint as THE truth, hoping that someone lacking self esteem will fall for their know-it-all chicanery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top