U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:35 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,303,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Source?.
City Data. I have no idea where they get it from but it's on there for both cities.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:51 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,657,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Anger is a powerful emotion. Far more often then not, it ends up controlling the person who gets caught up in it. The destructive aspect of anger is more prevalent than the constructive application of anger. Only rarely is an angry person big enough to harness and direct their anger to accomplish something of value.
When it's a choice between anger and complacency, only anger produces the action that can drive change. Complacency produces more of the same, which is the last thing we need in a place like Durango that's well into the process of being overrun and transformed into something ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
With regard to the gay waiter. Although it is not a lifestyle that I embrace, I say live and let live. His sexual orientation is not my decision to make. If a gay waiter provides good service, I'll consider him a good waiter and give him a decent tip, just like I would for a straight waiter. Makes no difference to me. Now if he starts coming on to me...there goes his tip!
And his sexual orientation is something I didn't want to know about, either. The earring on the right, and the obvious swishy mannerisms are like a neon sign flashing in my face. I find the behavior immoral, and its obvious presence offends me. Would that same Durango restaurant manager allow a waiter to serve customers with a studded dog collar and a T-shirt that says "Whip me beat me make it hurt" on it? How 'bout reaching over to fill up a glass of water with a big tat on his arm that says "Registered sex offender and proud of it?" No, because none of these things are an appropriate thing to bring to the attention of a customer.

But I brought it up in this discussion because on that afternoon in Durango, a significant number of the shops I stopped into had an employee flying an overt "I'm homosexual" flag working there. It's something I hadn't seen before the locusts swarmed in, and I think the trend is attributable to the same influx and RE bubble dynamics.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:44 PM

7,047 posts, read 6,183,084 times
not to hijack this thread but what are your predictions about future real estate values in durango. seems to me they have to start dropping with the record foreclosures and all

Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
not to hijack this thread but what are your predictions about future real estate values in durango. seems to me they have to start dropping with the record foreclosures and all
Hijacking or getting it back on track?

Old 03-13-2010, 05:05 PM

2,561 posts, read 4,877,823 times
Bob Down South, go back to hijacking threads in the DEEP SOUTH..Take it from a real Colorado native; you are not a true representative of the real pervasive Colorado attititude. Your opinion of immoral is that of Alabama, not Colorado,,,GET FREAKEN REAL............I'M DONE WITH YOUR BS..

Old 03-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Remember, in the DEEP SOUTH they're still getting used to encountering black folks in restaurants.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 PM

118 posts, read 268,461 times
Quote:
When it's a choice between anger and complacency, only anger produces the action that can drive change. Complacency produces more of the same, which is the last thing we need in a place like Durango that's well into the process of being overrun and transformed into something ugly.

And his sexual orientation is something I didn't want to know about, either. The earring on the right, and the obvious swishy mannerisms are like a neon sign flashing in my face. I find the behavior immoral, and its obvious presence offends me. Would that same Durango restaurant manager allow a waiter to serve customers with a studded dog collar and a T-shirt that says "Whip me beat me make it hurt" on it? How 'bout reaching over to fill up a glass of water with a big tat on his arm that says "Registered sex offender and proud of it?" No, because none of these things are an appropriate thing to bring to the attention of a customer.

But I brought it up in this discussion because on that afternoon in Durango, a significant number of the shops I stopped into had an employee flying an overt "I'm homosexual" flag working there. It's something I hadn't seen before the locusts swarmed in, and I think the trend is attributable to the same influx and RE bubble dynamics.
Dude, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Or more to the point, I think you have no idea what your talking about.

My wife and I go out in Durango on average 3 nights a week. I work on Main Ave and visit shops or restaurants virtually every day. And I have yet to have a single experience like the one you describe. What's more, I don't yet know a single person here that is openly gay. (i wouldn't react in the apparently phobic manner that you do, but I'm just sayin'...the picture you're trying to paint is just plain whacked). But that's ok...you should just stay in the comfort zone you live in now.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 PM

857 posts, read 1,350,179 times
Quote:
Well let's hope that anger motivates some of those people to take positions against the next wave of out-of-town developers looking to make a fast buck at the expense of their communities.
In Cities of below a certain population level, where outsourcing and Mega-Stores can ruin local economies, local contractors SHOULD be given priority by the planning departments over out of town contractors. With "smart growth," it can be easier sometimes for large corporate developers to get the contracts.

Perhaps Durango should eliminate its "smart growth" infilling? What do you think? I would NOT want to move to your city, and find that my place was built by a California developer ... the type of person I am "escaping" from! On the other hand, I may not have a choice, given the "Corporatization of Construction." (Copyright 2010 CCCVDUR LOL!) I expect local businesses competing with each other ... and with the mass merchandisers ... in places such as Durango, Tahoe, Mammoth, Ashland (OR), Flagstaff, etc

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 03-13-2010 at 11:05 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Just asked my sister about all this and apparently Harrison Ford who has been married many times has an earring on the right ear and is not gay. Although she does say that someone with a dog collar is gay, but she says that's based on only one isolated person she knew. And I've known straight guys w/ dog collars. I've noted in the mens clothing ads for Kohls that all the guys have dog collars so does that mean that Kohls is gay owned and operated? I don't think so.

By an "I'm homosexual" flag do you mean the Rainbow flag? I'm seen colored rainbow flags for many non-gay businesses.

Nevertheless, I do agree w/ you that Durango is becoming more Liberal, but until you've seen Eugene, Ashland, Santa Fe, or Boulder, the place is still a relatively conservative area. And, if people REALLY want the far-left, very pro-gay, lifestyle they are going to these other places, probably not to Durango. One would have to live in the closet to be in Durango.

As to the stats on city-data for gay couples, those are for couples only, not individuals who are gay and single, who are not counted by the US Census.

You continue (next post):

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 03-13-2010 at 11:22 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 11:21 PM

Default Durango

[quote=Bob from down south;13278213]"...yet."

Actually, "my" region is Colorado Springs, and I am indeed in the dominant demographic here. I started planning for a Colorado retirement about 20 years ago, and Durango was the place I thought it'd be. I read the Durango Herald online every day for many years, and grew ever sadder as I watched the property values escalate to the moon, and more and more influence by the QDACDCCWDGWG bunch.

Yes you are the dominant demographic in Durango and La Plata County and also Western Colorado. It is changing, but for now, you are the dominant demographic in Western Colorado: Fiscally and Socially Conservative. Durango trends more liberal, as does La Plata County, but Western Colorado is very, very conservative just like Utah, Arizona, and Western and Southern New Mexico.

If the Durango locals are NOT ready for CHANGE, than as I said, tell the City Council and Planning Department to stop smart growth, infilling, and California developers. In fact, stop selling large tracts of (national forest?) land (land trusts? I don't know what you have). Sell individual lots to individual developers. That will slow your growth to a crawl. If City Managers, Planning Commisioners, and Economic Development Directors were elected positions, not appointed ones, then voters would have much more power.

I do not believe for a second that those condos that sprouted up around Durango like cardboard kudzu are being sold mostly to locals.

No not entirely. Some are, some aren't, and a lot are rented by college students, and young people employed in Tourism.
I see your point, that there is not enough local industry, and that a housing crash would hurt revenues to pay the Local Officials who can afford the expensive California-built townhomes in the first place.

And what is fueling Durango's growth? An economy based on selling more and more real estate, absent production of something useful and marketable in the greater world, is doomed. Your answer is to make it up in volume??!

If you want to grow, then market tourism even more, and build even more. However, that's for you to decide. Durango can either grow or not grow. If you don't want to grow, then stop approving large hundred unit smart growth infilling developments, and go back 50 years in time and sell individual lots.

If you want to see what Durango will become w/o stopping growth and the influx of California liberals, then look at Ashland, Oregon, a top rated Smart Growth community, or Boulder, Colorado.

I wasn't very nice at all in my first two posts above, but I guess what I keep observing is that "the locals" in places like Durango, could become politically active to make changes, if they don't like population growth and California developers. I wouldn't want to move into an area where I'm a "controversial" person (i.e. in the sense of being a transplant) because I'm not a local. That happened already in Flagstaff and Santa Fe, NM. I saw the same issues in Flagstaff, AZ that Durango has. But then you go see places such as Boulder and Ashland, Oregon, where everyone is content, with the Liberalism and Smart Growth and all the principles of New Urbanism, as their finest w/ impact fees and house values keep flying through the roof. Does Durango want Obama's Smart Growth? Maybe that's the first question, Bob? http://smartgrowth.org

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 03-13-2010 at 11:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or