Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 08:47 AM

8 posts, read 51,265 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Colorado and found some of the areas we are researching mentioned here. A large factor for us as to where we move is the overall mood of a community's acceptance of lgbt people and other minorities. The increasing mood of non-acceptance and violence here in our home state of Arkansas is the reason for our moving. I have been active in community service activities for a long time, have helped get two community free health clinics started as well as camps for children with chronic illness. For over a decade I have been most active in the pursuit of civil rights.

What does anyone know of the cost comparison for rent or purchase of propertyland in Pagosa Springs to say Durango or Cortez?

We love those areas as we have been there before as a tourist. We have friends in Denver wanting us to move there but hard to move to such a large place when you have been use to smaller towns and open spaces. I would also like to continue to be involved as a volunteer providing healthcare to those with limited access.

Having retired early to pursue civil rights fulltime put a big crimp in our budget years back so cost is our 2nd big factor but as someone on this thread said, there is a trade off and I agree.

One more area we have looked at via internet is Idaho Springs CO. does anyone know much information about this area? It is about 40 miles west of Denver.

Many thanks for any information or suggestions provided.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 01:06 AM

827 posts, read 5,063,000 times
Carolyn, I applaud your unselfish nature! Durango has many such outreaches. One just off the top of my head is Community Connections among others. A main factor I love about the Durango people is how they reach out to others. Cortez would be the cheapest place to live. It is a small ranching type community. Bayfield would be next, then Pagosa and then Durango would be the most expensive but still cheap compared to California.

It is so good to know people like you are here on earth to make it a better place!

Old 08-06-2006, 02:12 AM

17 posts, read 56,272 times
Carolyn ~ First of all...I whitewater rafted in Idaho Springs. It is a small little mountain town, from what I remember, and I had a blast, of course! It's hard to get a "feel" for a place in such a short amount of time, but I love those less-populated mountain towns in CO so I'm most likley biased!

Secondly...GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! I simply cannot make that statement big enough in this little text box here! So please understand the enormity of my praise to you for not only the important work that you are doing, but the great stand you take and take part in as well!

What I love even more is that you are taking it to Colorado.

Colorado used to be the "oregon"of the early days. Conservative areas? Sure! But it was generally a laid-back state of tolerance and autonomy painted out of a pure love of the outdoors! Yea, everyone was singing "Rocky Mtn High". Maybe some of them actually were high, but my point is.....I never thought I would see the day when I would read about racially motivated crimes being committed in Boulder. Boulder????????? You've got to be kidding me!

Even though I read, what seems like, every day about another law the state passes against somebody and what they feel isn't "right". I'm not into political affiliations, but that state is so red that it makes Game day in Nebraska look pink.

I applaud you for going forward, because I go back & forth every day. Durango does sound like the "old" Colorado which gives me a smile - and hope! I love that state and will always hope to one day live there.

GOOD FOR YOU!! keep your heart to your work as you already well are! I'll let you be my example here and try to remember that being a good example is what's most important.

Last edited by elevation; 08-06-2006 at 02:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado