U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 9,181 times
Default Opportunities for MD??

Hello to all!
I was hoping to get some direction regarding any opportunities for a new MD with hopes of making a home in Colorado.

Info as far as areas to consider and/or medical clinics/facilities/organizations with a good reputation for serving the community & quality patient care.

I have spent a great deal of time in the Front Range area, but would love to get your feedback and consider other options.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 04:23 AM

828 posts, read 3,419,637 times
You might look into Durango. They just opened one of the largest hospitals in Colorado. Mercy Medical Center. It is huge! They need all sorts of physicians especially for all the retired people moving there as well as since it draws lots of mountain climbers, hikers, rafters, bikers, runners and such; they need lots of physicians for them too, i.e. falls, high altitude, dehydration, etc.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 PM

Excellent info! Thank you!! How is the "landscape" of Durango compared to the Front Range area of Ft Collins/Loveland. More southwest?

I will check it out! Thanks again for taking the time to offer your direction! I appreciate it!

Old 08-01-2006, 03:40 PM

138 posts, read 542,088 times
We're getting 2 new hospitals here in Colorado Springs. One should be opening within the next few months, and the other is just about to break ground.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:40 AM

Lotis103, it has the southwest look and feel. It has a lot of bikers who live there because they can train in a variety of climates; everything from a desert in the south to the high Rockies in the north. You can go to the desert in less then an hour or be hiking in the mountains in less then 20 minutes. Lots of mountain climbers. The landscape in the south has more desert then as you get into the city, it changes to lots of trees then north and west are mountains and east is green rolling hills.. It lies in a valley surrounded by mountains. A river winds through the city. I know a new doctor who bought land there and is planting apple trees on his new place and is going to move there and build a house when he can.
Houses, you will find stucco, adobe, wood, brick and rock homes, so a large variety. The buildings are usually southwest or old western brick. Mission style homes are popular there too as well as old Victorian homes. It is a VERY outdoorsy city. I don't personally know anyone there who isn't an outdoor type of person. I am sure they exist but I haven't met one yet. The area is getting more retired people now so I know they need doctors. The city is really a nice city and I plan on moving there soon. I have travelled to a lot of places but Durango is on my "top places to live" list.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 PM

17 posts, read 37,472 times
WOW! Now that is a description! Thank you! I am a little nervous about the "cost" of liveing in Durango (well, all of Colorado, really) but it sounds like you get some quality of life in return!

I've also been looking into Oregon, Idaho, Montana, or Wisconsin. Quite the "gammut", huh? But Colorado would be my all-time first choice. There is nothing else like it!

THANK YOU!

Old 08-03-2006, 01:45 AM

Elevation, if you are just renting, it isn't any higher then anywhere else and cheaper to live then California or Oregon. In Durango, houses are high in costs but low in taxes and utilities. The quality of life is great. You can go out to the mountains and not see a soul in minutes ,if you want, or be in downtown and be around all the people and action. I love going up to Silverton and Ouray and the mountain climbing is fantastic. I see bikers biking up those trails and WOW, you have to be in seriously great shape to do it! They are making trails everywhere too. You can walk from one end of the city to the other end or bike to work. They have a bus system so you really don't need a car unless you live out in the 'burbs. They are even thinking about putting in a light rail system to go out to the suburbs. Almost everyone I know there recycles and conserves on everything when they can. They just passed a low light law so people can see the stars at night. I got an email from a friend there about he just built a large greenhouse and is going to grow all sorts of stuff; that is the kind of people there.
Roses, flowers and trees abound. They love nature. They love pets. You will see a huge dog and cat population there because it seems everyone has pets. I flew up there for the weekend to see my brother and if felt so good. After the high heat here in Phoenix, I just wanted to stay outside all day. The Four Corners is having their monsoon season right now so it rains and that is when they get most of their rain and then it will be clear and sunny most of the year but I just went out in the rain and just wanted to park myself there and stay! I had to drag my feet to get on board to fly back to Phoenix. In Durango, we went rafting. My brother kayaks and that is fun too. We went up to William's Lake near Pagosa, that lake is awesome! Went to the hot springs to relax after all the hiking and kayaking. Great! They have so many mini beer breweries there too. Lots of great beer. I love their cafes and restaurants and coffee houses. People out on the verandas and such. Music everywhere. Just a great city especially for young people. The median age on this city-data website shows 29. It is also a "young at heart" city too for older people, I mean age 70 and up, riding Harleys, mountain bikes and walking everywhere. What a fit city!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:03 AM

1,894 posts, read 4,493,892 times
Default Hey Crackerjack

Crackerjack, I know how much you love Durango but if you don't stop gushing about it, you'll have everyone moving there and there won't be any room left for you, or me!!

LOL!!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Wow!

You should look into a position on the Eco-Tourism Committe! I LOVE your enthusiasm!! What a great spirit! I sound a bit that way when I talk about Estes and the area around Rocky Mtn Nat Park.

Colorado is no Oregon, I hate to say it, since I am considering a move there as well, but it's true. I would prefer to live amongst the rocky mountains than a volcano. If I move to Oregon I will alwys "pine" for Colorado.

The thought of renting again isn't too appealing, since it would be ideal to finally settle after all these years in med school. But it's just property. It certainly doesn't define my life.

The "climate" has changed so much in Colorado, however, over the years. Durango sounds like the "old" Colorado. I appreciate Oregon for their diversity, tolerance, and open-mindedness. There have become many areas throughout Colorado that are just not that way. As a physician, I can't help but feel it's important in my search to be among people who care about each other, let alone themselves!

I am going to look into Durango. THANK YOU my friend!! You have helped me a great deal here!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:17 PM

You are welcome Lotis103. Thank you for your nice post. That is one thing that really impresses me about Durango too. Yes they do still have hippies and you will not see the best dressed people there either, though there are some who dress to the hilt but mostly they wear whatever is comfortable. Don't be shocked to see people in jogging pants, shorts, women in those flowery hippy dresses and such. They are more concerned about being happy then trying to impress people. They have drives that come collect magazines and paper and such to recycle, that kind of thing. The flower power movement isn't dead in Durango but alive and flourishing. Yes like Oregon. Good Luck on your search and move!

AustinTraveler, you are right, I better first move there and get a place then I can brag about it so you and I can get a place. I'll try not to gush about Durango, already I am finding it hard though!

Last edited by Crackerjack; 08-03-2006 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado