U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:42 PM

16,219 posts, read 20,264,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
i have only been here 35 years so i may not be qualified to answer for most. but i put an elk and deer away every fall,totally stock up on salmon each fall. cut enough woood for the winter, set up spike camps for a local outfitter during hunting season and never go to a large town ever. stay away from the fake CO and you can still live it and dont get jealouse those rich newcomers dont have a clue. i dont even pull em out anymore i tell em my $2000 jeep aint big enough to pull out thier $60,000 piece of junk. im happy
Salmon! OOH, I'll bet you go to Blue Mesa at that certain time in the late summer when they're going bonkers.

Elk and deer, hmm.Yep, I know just the place! The Dolores/Norwood road OR the Glade area due east of Dove Creek OR Miramonte/Groundhog Res. 20 miles South of Norwood for MORE fish!

Excuse me, got my fishing license today at Gene Taylors, get home to watch 11 news only to hear we might get snow tonight!

Grrr!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 PM

7,047 posts, read 6,207,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Salmon! OOH, I'll bet you go to Blue Mesa at that certain time in the late summer when they're going bonkers.

Elk and deer, hmm.Yep, I know just the place! The Dolores/Norwood road OR the Glade area due east of Dove Creek OR Miramonte/Groundhog Res. 20 miles South of Norwood for MORE fish!

Excuse me, got my fishing license today at Gene Taylors, get home to watch 11 news only to hear we might get snow tonight!

Grrr!
shhh. dont give it all up.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM

4,932 posts, read 8,955,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
How long do you have to live in CO to be considered a Coloradoan? My father has lived there for about 10 years now. Every weekend he is running mountain trails or snow skiing... camps a bit as well.
In my opinion 10 years is still baby-steps. There's a lot to understand about Colorado that only comes with a lifetime.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:12 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,357,921 times
OK here I am. Native, mountain born Coloradoan. Born and raised in Aspen,skiied for over 50 years, and still spend a lot of time in the mountains. Unfortunately a large portion of us have been displaced by the rich idiots. I live in NOCO now, and have a small place in Red Feather lakes.

For some, growing up in the small mountain town was like any very small town, and many wanted to leave to see more adventure, and culture. Like anywhere else it is hard to watch the small areas you loved taken over and ruined by outsiders and change. John Denver used to sing about beautiful Aspen, while he was fencing it off and building his mansion.
I believe you have to be born here to be a native, but all you have to do to be a Coloradoan is enjoy and respect this great place.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,193,673 times
Well, this is fun. I've been gone for a couple of days and see what happens. OK--I'll add my opinion. First, I would argue that "Coloradan" is the proper term--despite that newspaper in Fort Collins being called something else. Now, as to "mountain-raised" Coloradans, there are not many multi-generational ones around. Why? Because for the better part of a century now, most young people that grow up there have to leave to find employment. THEIR children are born and raised elsewhere. The metro areas of the Front Range are FULL of people from rural Colorado that had to relocate in order to find work. There are some exceptions--I know people who are 4th generation rural Coloradans, but those folks are rare. I have feet in several camps, since I have lived all over Colorado over the years--city, rural, East Slope, West Slope.

I will agree that there are native-born Coloradans that don't know squat about their home state, and there are people who have moved here who have embraced and love Colorado. Still, I think one has to immerse themselves in a place for a long time--and understand its culture, geography, ecology, and economy over a long period--in order to really understand the place. How long? Well, I'm past a half-century here and I'm still learning new things about the place.

And I agree with whirnot about the "rich idiots" displacing a lot of native Coloradans. I like to say that those trustifarians and equity locusts have more dollars than sense . . .

Old 03-14-2010, 07:05 PM

10,645 posts, read 11,736,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I believe you have to be born here to be a native, but all you have to do to be a Coloradoan is enjoy and respect this great place.
Very well said.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:37 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,359,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
OK here I am. Native, mountain born Coloradoan. Born and raised in Aspen,skiied for over 50 years, and still spend a lot of time in the mountains. Unfortunately a large portion of us have been displaced by the rich idiots.
Perhaps the locals at the time said the same thing when your parents moved in.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 AM

279 posts, read 589,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, this is fun. I've been gone for a couple of days and see what happens.
Yep, things got totally out of control...glad you're back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I will agree that there are native-born Coloradans that don't know squat about their home state, and there are people who have moved here who have embraced and love Colorado. Still, I think one has to immerse themselves in a place for a long time--and understand its culture, geography, ecology, and economy over a long period--in order to really understand the place. How long? Well, I'm past a half-century here and I'm still learning new things about the place.
Well, I've been here for 3 years and I think I'm doing a pretty good job with the "understanding" issues. It probably helps that my wife is a native Coloradan.

But seriously, this is about the first time I actually agree with most of what you said...

Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,359,274 times
Colorado seems to have a greater wariness of outsiders than most other places. Not sure why. We get tons of them here in VA, lots with plenty of money but the locals don't seem to resent them the way you do. Maybe it's the larger number of absentee second home owners there? Maybe there's a bigger difference between the newcomers' and locals' economic status?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 AM

10,645 posts, read 11,736,372 times
I dunno. The only wariness of "outsiders" I've experienced is on this forum. Everyone I've met here has been downright friendly and has welcomed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado