U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,148,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Colorado seems to have a greater wariness of outsiders than most other places. Not sure why. We get tons of them here in VA, lots with plenty of money but the locals don't seem to resent them the way you do. Maybe it's the larger number of absentee second home owners there? Maybe there's a bigger difference between the newcomers' and locals' economic status?
Yep, all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:56 PM

54 posts, read 173,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
In my opinion 10 years is still baby-steps. There's a lot to understand about Colorado that only comes with a lifetime.

Yet the natives I meet, on average, seem to know just as little as the transplants. There are stupid, ignorant people born everywhere. Some people don't even want to know or understand the state, they simply want to live here.

Being born somewhere doesn't automatically mean you have the slightest knowledge or understanding of that place.

For example, to me, you are all just dumb, fat Americans.

I get what you're saying though.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:43 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,927,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
Yet the natives I meet, on average, seem to know just as little as the transplants.
Not the ones I work with and hang around. These folks grew up in rural Colorado and are very familiar with the lay of the land.

Quote:
Being born somewhere doesn't automatically mean you have the slightest knowledge or understanding of that place.
It means that, even if simply from attrition, you are familiar with things that non locals would not realize.

Quote:
For example, to me, you are all just dumb, fat Americans.
sounds to me like you give credence to stereotypes

Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,308,024 times
Quote:
It means that, even if simply from attrition, you are familiar with things that non locals would not realize.
Like what? Please enlighten us Bear Claw.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,927,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Like what? Please enlighten us Bear Claw.
Normal stuff. It's as true for Colorado as it is for any other place.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:25 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,308,024 times
Quote:
I was just messin' with you. Seemed like a good spot for a Jeremiah Johnson allusion.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,478,914 times
karpiel wrote:
to me, you are all just dumb, fat Americans.
We might be perceived as dumb Americans in the eyes of some, but most of us in Colorado are not fat Americans. I think we match up pretty well with any place in the world with regard to fitness. How far have you pedalled your bike today? How many total pounds have you lifted in the gym today? How many mountain miles have you walked today?

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-17-2010 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,119,745 times
Quote:
I've lived in many states, and I'm not sure what could possibly be so complex about any one of them, including CO, that it would take a whole lifetime to learn. Even Jeremiah learned how much dirt to put down over the coals in just one evening. Granted, you could spend many lifetimes exploring the high country here and hardly traverse the same stretch of trail twice, but that sort of thing is hardly essential to survival these days. So just what is it about the lay of the land here that you've been studying for decades? Which mile marker is next to which bush?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:49 PM

363 posts, read 862,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
I've lived my whole life in Colorado and I thought back and couldn't recall ever meeting a Coloradoan from the mountains, or one that ski's or goes to the mountains for recreation regularly. Have you? Then again I've always been on the plains, so maybe there's a difference.
You're right hardly anyone I know actually skis. Most of us living at 8000 el rarely visit Mt. Crested Butte - 18 mi north of us. We have so many waters to fish in this county, there's hardly a reason to venture farther afield.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:33 PM

11,874 posts, read 9,344,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
karpiel wrote:
to me, you are all just dumb, fat Americans.
We might be perceived as dumb Americans in the eyes of some, but most of us in Colorado are not fat Americans. I think we match up pretty well with any place in the world with regard to fitness. How far have you pedalled your bike today? How many total pounds have you lifted in the gym today? How many mountain miles have you walked today?
I moved here from Colorado (spent 12 of the years in Summit County) and we had a ton of people from Denver coming up to ski and yes it was always fun NOT having to drive down the hill on Sunday. Then people discovered what a wonderful place it was in the summer - when I was there think there were around 40 miles of paved bike paths, then of course rock climbing, etc. etc. etc.

On this post I'm quoting, I'm attaching a link showing Colorado is ranked as the state with the lowest obesity rate - too much to do in the state to be obese unless one just sits on their tail end, super sizes everything and doesn't take advantage of all of the activies the state offers.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-30-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado