U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,499,096 times

Advertisements

treedonkey wrote:
I've lived in many states, and I'm not sure what could possibly be so complex about any one of them, including CO, that it would take a whole lifetime to learn.
Some people are slow learners, while others put learning on a pedestal and make it a lifetime pursuit. There always seems to be another subtle level of understanding that comes into awareness over time. A newcomer can know most of what an oldtimer knows about any state in a relatively short time, but the oldtimer will understand the subtleties that elude a newcomer. On the other hand, the newcomer brings insights from having lived elsewhere, often in a variety of places, that is lacking in the experience of a person who has spent their life in one place.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-18-2010 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,128,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
treedonkey wrote:
I've lived in many states, and I'm not sure what could possibly be so complex about any one of them, including CO, that it would take a whole lifetime to learn.
Some people are slow learners, while others put learning on a pedestal and make it a lifetime pursuit. There always seems to be another subtle level of understanding that comes into awareness over time. A newcomer can know most of what an oldtimer knows about any state in a relatively short time, but the oldtimer will understand the subtleties that elude a newcomer. On the other hand, the newcomer brings insights from having lived elsewhere, often in a variety of places, that is lacking in the experience of a person who has spent their life in one place.
Extremely well said.

I really appreciate the knowledge and experience that the lifers here have, and I do try to glean some of those subtleties from my own CO-native family and friends whenever I can. I just wish we could convince some more of the oldtimers on this forum that the newcomers may have something to offer as well and that the vast majority are not here simply to plunder the land and get in the way.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 AM

4,925 posts, read 8,949,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
A "whole lifetime" is an exaggeration, but there is some truth to the statement. It depends on how much you immerse yourself in the area.

When you're born and raised in a particular place, you become very familiar with it. You learn the dos and don'ts from trial and error and from other people. You learn to recognize occurrences that are normal and those that are out of place. We instinctively believe these rules translate to other locations which of course is not true. But we tend to overlook this and behave as if what works in one place will work someplace else. It takes special effort to learn a new set of rules when we move to a new area.

Some places are more complicated than others. For example I would feel very uncomfortable venturing out and spending time in the Louisiana bayou. I didn't grow up there and don't have the knowledge. I'm not familiar with the lay of the land. The bayous are probably a very complex place and it would take years for an outsider to understand.

I'm not talking about solely about survival, although it's a part of it. I'm talking about knowing and understanding the whole picture. Being intimately familiar with it. There's so many aspects of it - weather, wildlife, plant life, water, land, people, culture - that in order for a single person to become familiar with all pretty much means that person must have been born and raised there and made the effort to be an active observer.

I'm talking about the difference between living in a place and understanding the place you live in.

Jazzlover is one of the few who understands the place he lives in. As much as he may be opinionated and biased, he truly knows Colorado.

I consider Colorado one of the more complex areas because there are so many ecosystems here and the cultural history of the area has three very distinct and different peoples who had a lot of influence.

States I consider less complex are midwestern states which have very little variety in their ecosystems. Same discussion applies, just to a lesser extent.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 AM

12,851 posts, read 23,328,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I just wish we could convince some more of the oldtimers on this forum that the newcomers may have something to offer as well and that the vast majority are not here simply to plunder the land and get in the way.
But we're sucking all of the water dry to green our 1/2 acre's of dry prairie to keep gas in our SUVs in our four car garages (an old forum reference).

We're turning small towns into yuppie resort towns. We're clogging up the roads. We don't know how to drive on dry roads or snowy roads. We're changing the state politically. We're not Bronco fans.

So what DO we have to offer?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,499,096 times
David Aguilar wrote:
We're not Bronco fans.
Perhaps were not Broncos fans yet, but ya gotta love the Rockies if you are a true blooded baseball fan, even if you just moved here. They play some really good baseball....and the management wants to win. With regard to the Broncos. It's hard to get behind a team that puts $$$ ahead of putting a winning team on the field.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
David Aguilar wrote:
We're not Bronco fans.
Perhaps were not Broncos fans yet, but ya gotta love the Rockies if you are a true blooded baseball fan, even if you just moved here. They play some really good baseball....and the management wants to win. With regard to the Broncos. It's hard to get behind a team that puts $$$ ahead of putting a winning team on the field.
I watch and listen to the Broncos during the season, but I'm not in love with them yet. I'm so sick of hearing about how "hot" Brady Quinn is already.

I'm a true-blooded baseball fan, to the core, but I feel like a sellout when I root for the Rockies (I'm a Mariners fan, it just doesn't feel right putting my whole heart behind another team). However, the Rockies have taken us on some fun rides two of the past three years, and they've made my wife a Rockies diehard. I enjoy watching and going to their games, they're always fun (got tix for the day after opening day ). I can't wait until the season starts, no matter who I watch.

I really like the Nuggets too, they put on a good show (as do the Avs).

Old 03-18-2010, 10:54 AM

4,925 posts, read 8,949,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
But we're sucking all of the water dry to green our 1/2 acre's of dry prairie to keep gas in our SUVs in our four car garages (an old forum reference).
Question: Why did zero-scaping catch on in New Mexico but not Colorado?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
That's a good one. *xeriscaping*

My only guess is that it's because we aren't in actual desert (I'm talking Front Range here). However, I guess we could leave the natural prairie grasses to grow in yards, but that's probably a fire hazard.

At the house I used to rent here, I never watered the grass, I let the rain do it. It didn't look perfect, but if I kept it cut it looked nice enough.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 AM

375 posts, read 1,184,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Because it's a desert and smart people don't want lawns. Plus it's a waste of water!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:00 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,128,500 times
Quote:
David Aguilar wrote:
We're not Bronco fans.
K, toally off topic here but I just gotta chime in.

I'm a lifelong, die-hard baseball fan, having followed the Padres closely as a kid and later the Giants as an adult, but when I moved here I bought a fitted Rockies cap at my first game and now I follow them. Some say that's not true fandom because there is no loyalty but to me it's like the song says, 'it's root, root, root for the home team, if they don't win it's a shame'

Besides, the players do the same thing. Migrating their loyalty to whichever team they happen to be on. Anything less would be unprofessional. So maybe that just makes me a professional fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado