U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 6,091 times

Advertisements

As someone who was born in Colorado, I would concur that racism in Colorado is fairly non-existent. You will find a few people here and there that are defiantly racists, but they're more the exception. The Coloradoans I know don't care if you're white, black, brown, or purple with pink polk-a-dots. It's more the person inside that we care the most about.

Any of the ski towns (Vail, Aspen, Telluride, etc.) are defiantly an extremely expensive place to live. Those naysayers that don't want you to move are basing their decision on a single visit to small town over whelmed by spoiled tourists from California, New York, Florida, or Texas. Furthermore, the ski towns are not you're typical Colorado town. It's like throwing away the entire barrel because you found one bruised peach.

As for the weather....well....the weather in Colorado is chaotic. You know you're from Colorado when you have gone sunbathing in January, skiing in July, and you done both in the same year. I remember, back in the early 1990's, Colorado was going through a major drought in late June. It averaged 90 degrees for those last two weeks of June. The fire danger was extremely high, and every town except Avon were canceling their 4th of July fireworks show because of the threat of a forest fire. The Town of Avon launch their fireworks over a lake. However, on July 3rd, there was a blizzard. The Town of Avon postponed their fireworks because the fuses were frozen in a foot of ice! It took them 3 days to thaw out the fireworks. And, a week later, we were right back in the middle of our drought with 80 to 90 degree temperatures in the mountains.

What these naysayers don't want you to know is that those who move Colorado have all decided to stay in Colorado because of the summers. The summers are defiantly why we live here. If you want to move to Colorado, I say welcome. We'll be happy to have you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:07 PM

112 posts, read 200,660 times
Would one recommend driving or flying to CO for spring break? I am thinking of driving so that I can see the Grand Canyon, and other sights, but not sure how long it will take to drive. I think Driving will be cheaper being that I have 3 people to accomodate, but for everyone with experience which is better? Also, what is the best way to plan the drive, by that I mean how far to drive each day, where to stay on the way, etc.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 PM

12,845 posts, read 23,243,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock976 View Post
Would one recommend driving or flying to CO for spring break? I am thinking of driving so that I can see the Grand Canyon, and other sights, but not sure how long it will take to drive. I think Driving will be cheaper being that I have 3 people to accomodate, but for everyone with experience which is better? Also, what is the best way to plan the drive, by that I mean how far to drive each day, where to stay on the way, etc.
Grand Canyon is a little out of the way for that trip.

On my sole CA to CO drive, I allowed two days (for a one-way trip). So count on at least four days of driving round-trip.

If traveling with more than one person, driving is always cheaper. But flying will allow more time at your intended destination.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Grand Canyon is a little out of the way for that trip.

On my sole CA to CO drive, I allowed two days (for a one-way trip). So count on at least four days of driving round-trip.

If traveling with more than one person, driving is always cheaper. But flying will allow more time at your intended destination.
2 days of driving is not bad, what route do you recommend taking? and where should I stay?

I am going to be bringing my Girlfriend and her Daughter and I was thinking, rather than front the bill for 3 tickets round trip, car rental, etc. We could drive, and see whatever scenary there is to see and take a look at the area. Along with the idea of saving a significant amount of money, and planning.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 PM

85,031 posts, read 98,929,643 times
There is little overt racism here. I say that as a caucasian, I have no idea what it is to be a minority.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 PM

12,845 posts, read 23,243,622 times
Quote:
2 days of driving is not bad, what route do you recommend taking? and where should I stay?

I am going to be bringing my Girlfriend and her Daughter and I was thinking, rather than front the bill for 3 tickets round trip, car rental, etc. We could drive, and see whatever scenary there is to see and take a look at the area. Along with the idea of saving a significant amount of money, and planning.
For you:
CA 14 N to
CA 138 E to
I-15 N to
I-70 E

We stayed at a Motel 6 in Green River, UT when we moved here from Ridgecrest. Most people pick somewhere between Cedar City, UT and Green River, UT to stop for the night.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
For you:
CA 14 N to
CA 138 E to
I-15 N to
I-70 E

We stayed at a Motel 6 in Green River, UT when we moved here from Ridgecrest. Most people pick somewhere between Cedar City, UT and Green River, UT to stop for the night.
Is that about 8 hour drive per day? How's the weather forecast for 4/4 - 4/11?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,796,820 times
Quote:
Is that about 8 hour drive per day? How's the weather forecast for 4/4 - 4/11?
That depends on whether it takes you 4 hours to get to I-15.

Google maps says its a 9 hour drive from Victorville CA to Green River UT. If you want to break your drive into two even days, Richfield UT would probably be the best place to spend the night.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
That depends on whether it takes you 4 hours to get to I-15.

Google maps says its a 9 hour drive from Victorville CA to Green River UT. If you want to break your drive into two even days, Richfield UT would probably be the best place to spend the night.
Driving is probably going to cost me $800 - $1000 less. However, is it worth spending the extra money to fly? I ask because I am guessing most of you have had experience both ways

Thank you!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,796,820 times
Are you figuring in wear and tear on your car or just gas? You should count on paying 50 cents/mile when you're figuring your costs. For long trips like you're talking about, renting a car for a week is usually a better choice than driving your own (especially if you break down or have an accident along the way).

As far as whether it's worth it to fly, it depends on whether you'd rather spend a little money to avoid spending 4 days in a car with a child. For trips like that with 2 adults in the car, I usually

Another thing you could look into is driving to Vegas and then flying, but you'd miss out on some great scenery driving through Utah. Colorado has some pretty scenery, but the stretch from Richfield to Green River is absolutely beautiful if you like desert landscapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or