U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,139,839 times

Advertisements

Drive the Southern route (15 to 40 to 25) if you are concerned with weather. You will drive through Vegas, go past the Hoover Dam (worth the tour), hit the Grand Canyon (South Rim...so worth it) on the way, and drive through Albuquerque and Santa Fe. I have driven this route many times and can still get hit with a good storm though, especially around Flagstaff, AZ. If you haven't seen the GC before, you must take this route. It's definitely a thing to check off on the bucket list.

If the weather is better when you leave CO, go the I70 route. Road trips are so much fun!! Make sure your tires are in good shape, if not replace them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 03:00 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,075,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock976 View Post
Looks like most of the roads going through the rockies are wet, slushy, icy right now. That does worry me, especially since I don't have experience driving through those conditions.
There can be a lot of storms in April, but when the sun is out the roads clear quickly. There are no guarantees for anything.

A good time to go is in 6-8 weeks before the summer season really picks up.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:22 PM

112 posts, read 200,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Drive the Southern route (15 to 40 to 25) if you are concerned with weather. You will drive through Vegas, go past the Hoover Dam (worth the tour), hit the Grand Canyon (South Rim...so worth it) on the way, and drive through Albuquerque and Santa Fe. I have driven this route many times and can still get hit with a good storm though, especially around Flagstaff, AZ. If you haven't seen the GC before, you must take this route. It's definitely a thing to check off on the bucket list.

If the weather is better when you leave CO, go the I70 route. Road trips are so much fun!! Make sure your tires are in good shape, if not replace them!
How long is this route? I know going strait through the I70 is approx 16hrs which we plan to do in 2 days.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:29 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,807,102 times
Quote:
How long is this route? I know going strait through the I70 is approx 16hrs which we plan to do in 2 days.
You can find all the answers you need on Google maps. Click on "get directions" and it will tell you the best routes to take along with the driving time to get there.

Once you have the map on your screen you can drag the blue line around to explore time/mileage differences along various routes.

Google Maps

Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
You can find all the answers you need on Google maps. Click on "get directions" and it will tell you the best routes to take along with the driving time to get there.

Once you have the map on your screen you can drag the blue line around to explore time/mileage differences along various routes.

Google Maps
I never knew you can move the blue line. I thought it was just preset. Let me give that a try now. It worked thank you!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,150,222 times
The 'detour' to the south rim of the Grand Canyon can only be done when using the southern route. It's about 55 miles off I40, north of Williams,AZ. So figure about 3 hours of extra driving and a couple of hours to walk around and explore.
I like to take one way out and the other back. Sometimes the weather will determine the choice.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:35 PM

12,851 posts, read 23,316,412 times
Quote:
Looks like most of the roads going through the rockies are wet, slushy, icy right now. That does worry me, especially since I don't have experience driving through those conditions.
The only way to get experience is to experience it. I don't think you'd want to move here without seeing what it's like first. When it's sunny, dry, and warm here it's hard to get a gauge on what the bad weather here is like (and driving in it etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Drive the Southern route (15 to 40 to 25) if you are concerned with weather. You will drive through Vegas
err Barstow?

Old 04-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The only way to get experience is to experience it. I don't think you'd want to move here without seeing what it's like first. When it's sunny, dry, and warm here it's hard to get a gauge on what the bad weather here is like (and driving in it etc).

err Barstow?
Hi David,

Would we be ok driving a Ford Focus? I was going to rent one of those as I don't want to put the wear and tear on our cars.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:41 PM

12,851 posts, read 23,316,412 times
Quote:
Hi David,

Would we be ok driving a Ford Focus? I was going to rent one of those as I don't want to put the wear and tear on our cars.
Yes, you should be, those are front wheel drive.

If you hit snow, drive like a grandma in the right lane. Do not slam on your brakes for any reason. Leave plenty of distance between other vehicles and brake slowly and softly.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Made it to Richfield, UT although the weather outlook and road conditions don't look promising driving through Colorado. Not sure how safe it is for us to continue. How long is the stretch of Icy, Snowy, Wet driving conditions? from where we are to Boulder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or