U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:52 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,119,489 times

Advertisements

Roads look fine to me:

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

Might be a little wet/snow at Vail pass but just go slow and you'll be fine. It will clear up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 AM

112 posts, read 200,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Wet/snow doesn't bother me, but it is the icy part and it looks to be approx 50 miles of those conditions. I am your typical out of area person that freaks out at the sight of unfamiliar weather.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:28 PM

12,845 posts, read 23,249,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock976 View Post
Wet/snow doesn't bother me, but it is the icy part and it looks to be approx 50 miles of those conditions. I am your typical out of area person that freaks out at the sight of unfamiliar weather.
All of those words pretty much mean the same thing.

Don't freak out. It's likely there will be hard, packed snow on the road that can be slippery. Go slow, keep you distance from other vehicles, and brake slowly and softly. Do not slam on your brakes for any reason.

You can do it.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,499,760 times
Quote:
In a discussion my Girlfriend was in at work with a colleague, she mentioned that her and I were thinking of moving to CO. The gentleman told her that CO had a lot of bigatry and racism and that they frown on inter-racial couples, etc... Additionally, it was mentioned that CO was an expensive place to live, and is basically another Los Angeles?

My girlfriend did not like what she heard as we are looking to move to a place unlike our current home town. Please shed some light on this subject as this is the first time I have ever heard something like this from someone else. I am convinced that this gentleman did not know what he was talking about, but who knows.

I should note that my Girlfriend and her Daughter are Filipino, while I am caucasian. Is this information really true? I found this website after googling the subject.

- Denver Post Bloggers Prove Colorado to be the Most Racist State in the Country (Neighbors blogs blog) : Denver Colorado Neighbors
There are no guarantees in life. You could move to a city that's labeled as the most "racially tolerant" and find yourself next door to total idiots.

As for Denver Post bloggers, I would remind you that internet forums allow people to say things they would never say to someone's face. There is a sort of extremism I think, on the internet which allows people who live in their parents basement to speak with the same authority as someone who is actually a contributing member of society.

I'm not a Denver native...I was born in Washington, then moved to Arizona, lived in Italy and Germany, moved to Boston, then to Florida then to Denver. There are things I love about each place and things I think of as "thank God I don't live there anymore."

Denver is not perfect. It's fairly "small town" for a large city. What makes Denver great is that people are very well educated (Colorado ranks high in people moving to this state with higher degrees) and we are the only state not rated as "overweight" or "obese." This should tell you a few things. First, we like to be outside...whether it's in the mountains or in our local parks...there IS a sense of community here and I have found people to be pretty friendly. With an education comes a sense of "live and let live" and I have never heard Denver labeled as racist or full of bigots. There are "pockets" of groups who like to live near each other in Denver...some areas that are labeled as more open to gay families or areas with higher concentrations of specific nationalities. That is the same way in every city. There is comfort that people find living near people who share something in common with them.

As for expensive, I can only speak from my experiences living in the places I mentioned above. I found my money goes a lot further in Denver than it did anywhere else. There are expensive places to live just like everywhere else but I think there is a larger number of homes that fall into the $150-$300K range than anywhere I've ever lived. That means that you can live somewhere decent if you're middle class.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:48 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,042,905 times
Quote:
May and June is usually a better month to visit. Colorado can have winter conditions 9 months of the year.

Best thing to do is time it to go in the middle of the day and make use of the webcams and info on the Colorado DOT website.

My advice is that if you don't feel comfortable with it follow your instincts. I've had clueless people get killed in front me and back of me on I-70 even in the middle of summer on dry roads because they are "freaking out" driving in the mountains or in snow, overcorrecting with steering, gas and brake, tailgating, driving too slow(yep 15 mph doesn't work when traffic is moving 45-65 mph in bad weather and a semi runs you over), not looking far down the road etc.

Is it worth it if you are not comfortable? IMHO, no I don't think it's worth it.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 AM

Shock, I hope you've made it here by now.

Look outside, this is what it can be like when it snows.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,119,489 times
Hopefully he's still not in Utah! lol

Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 AM

112 posts, read 200,675 times
Well everyone, we made it to CO, and must say that the drive to CO is pretty boring, I did not see one Wallmart or bit of civilization from the end of NV - Grand Junction. The scenery was excellent and an experience in its own We now realize what everyone meant by weather being unpredictable. It was supposed to be clear, then a storm comes rolling in.

The area is interesting, and we realize that we don't feel totally comfortable driving in the snow/ice. The area is totally different from what we are used to in CA which is going to take some serious consideration. We know there are going to be sacrifices we need to make and will just have to get over that. We will probably come back in a few weeks (Fly this time) to see the area in better weather.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Well everyone, we made it to CO, and must say that the drive to CO is pretty boring, I did not see one Wallmart or bit of civilization from the end of NV - Grand Junction.
Welcome to "The Rest of the Country". Though I'm sure there were Wal-Marts in St. George and Cedar City (at least).

Quote:
The area is interesting, and we realize that we don't feel totally comfortable driving in the snow/ice.
That takes time.

Quote:
The area is totally different from what we are used to in CA which is going to take some serious consideration. We know there are going to be sacrifices we need to make and will just have to get over that. We will probably come back in a few weeks (Fly this time) to see the area in better weather.
Isn't CO "being different" from CA a good thing?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:22 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,053,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Isn't CO "being different" from CA a good thing?
That's the point, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or