U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 AM

112 posts, read 200,660 times

Advertisements

In a discussion my Girlfriend was in at work with a colleague, she mentioned that her and I were thinking of moving to CO. The gentleman told her that CO had a lot of bigatry and racism and that they frown on inter-racial couples, etc... Additionally, it was mentioned that CO was an expensive place to live, and is basically another Los Angeles?

My girlfriend did not like what she heard as we are looking to move to a place unlike our current home town. Please shed some light on this subject as this is the first time I have ever heard something like this from someone else. I am convinced that this gentleman did not know what he was talking about, but who knows.

I should note that my Girlfriend and her Daughter are Filipino, while I am caucasian. Is this information really true? I found this website after googling the subject.

http://neighbors.denverpost.com/blog...n-the-country/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 AM

12,845 posts, read 23,243,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock976 View Post
In a discussion my Girlfriend was in at work with a colleague, she mentioned that her and I were thinking of moving to CO. The gentleman told her that CO had a lot of bigatry and racism and that they frown on inter-racial couples, etc... Additionally, it was mentioned that CO was an expensive place to live, and is basically another Los Angeles?
This "gentleman" is full of it. Completely. Has he ever lived in CO for a long period of time?

You're meeting your naysayers right now. Do you know how many times I had been told I wouldn't like CO before I left CA? Do you know how many times people had tried to talk us out of moving here?

-"But it snows there".
-"Property taxes are some of the highest in the country". (WRONG!)
-"There's no jobs".
-"You'll be moving back to CA within a year."
-"The people are weird."
-"You will NOT like it."

If there's bigotry and racism here, I rarely see it. Only a few times in my about three years here. My experiences and opinions regarding Denver racism are found in other threads. IMO Denver is better than the average place in that regard.

CO is only expensive if you live in one of the resort towns (Aspen, Telluride, Vail, et al), Boulder, or one of the "name" neighborhoods in Denver. I pay flippin' $775 for a 2 bed apartment in a very nice area in Denver. What can you get for $775 in LA County? That's what I thought.

Quote:
My girlfriend did not like what she heard as we are looking to move to a place unlike our current home town. Please shed some light on this subject as this is the first time I have ever heard something like this from someone else. I am convinced that this gentleman did not know what he was talking about, but who knows.

I should note that my Girlfriend and her Daughter are Filipino, while I am caucasian. Is this information really true? I found this website after googling the subject.

- Denver Post Bloggers Prove Colorado to be the Most Racist State in the Country (Neighbors blogs blog) : Denver Colorado Neighbors
The Denver Post forum is terrible. I would not take anything from it. It's where the weirdo-loser-racists hang out. Toss it in the garbage.

You guys will be fine here. Just come out already.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:41 AM

112 posts, read 200,660 times
Gotta love it! David, I thought the same, but I wanted to ask for her sake, and to give her some insight from this helpful forum.

We unfortunately did not make it out 2 weeks ago, as the weather and short term trip concerned us as we would have left her daughter behind with grand parents for a quick lookeeloo. Our new plan is to come out Hit the road driving on April 4th and arrive April 5th, stay for the week and head back April 10th. That way we have a good solid week to wander various areas. I think it is better that way.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Gotta love it! David, I thought the same, but I wanted to ask for her sake, and to give her some insight from this helpful forum.

We unfortunately did not make it out 2 weeks ago, as the weather and short term trip concerned us as we would have left her daughter behind with grand parents for a quick lookeeloo. Our new plan is to come out Hit the road driving on April 4th and arrive April 5th, stay for the week and head back April 10th. That way we have a good solid week to wander various areas. I think it is better that way.
That sounds much better than your previous plan.

Once you guys get out of CA, you'll see that there's this whole wonderful world outside of it.

Have fun.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,048,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
That sounds much better than your previous plan.

Once you guys get out of CA, you'll see that there's this whole wonderful world outside of it.

Have fun.
The way people here act, I think maps sold in California must have "Thar be dragons" written over the rest of the country.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The way people here act, I think maps sold in California must have "Thar be dragons" written over the rest of the country.
LOL.

Us Californians can be a narrow bunch.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,114,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I tried to rep you for that but couldn't.

Actually, all I ever heard before I left CA was 'Thar be Snow' or just 'brrrr'. Most of my CA associates seem unable to conceive of anything besides weather determining one's happiness in life. I AM GLAD that 20 million more CA'ans have no desire to move here, but I do feel bad for what they don't understand. That is, learning to deal with inclement weather with a positive attitude just makes you tougher and more well-rounded. In fact, sometimes I think I should move to Fairbanks AK just so I know I could survive the toughest climate in the world and still be happy about it.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,915,728 times
Absolutely not true. Colorado is definitely a "live and let live" attitude. I've never seen anyone give an interracial couple or minority a hard time, stare at them, or treat them any differently.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:14 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,747,778 times
Huh, wonder where people get their "information" from. Couples of mixed ancestry are actually a large part of Colorado.

When I lived in Grand Junction, Denver and I have spent most of my life in Colorado Springs, I know and have known a ton of couples that are "interracial". Probably more so in Colorado Springs, honestly, because of the military here. And when I say that it means that we have a more diverse population to choose because of the military make-up. Even so, it's not a big deal 'round these parts.

There is no one set attitude about things here and I agree with 80skeys that we do have pretty much a "live and let live" outlook. With that said, the majority of the population are not *native* Coloradans, so people bring their thoughts and beliefs from other places and you will find that if there is a problem, it's usually on an individual's shoulders, not as a collective.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 PM

268 posts, read 381,127 times
We have plenty of racists here.

There are plenty of racists everywhere else.

Colorado is no more or less subject to the cultural phenomena that is racism.

Although I voted McCain, Colorado as a collective preferred Obama in the 2008 election. It would be hard to argue that we're all racist bastards given that information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or