U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:32 AM

841 posts, read 1,248,802 times

Advertisements

My father in law has a trailer, and what caused him to stop tooling around the country (part of his retirement) was the gasoline prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 PM

116 posts, read 324,329 times
We're thinking of coming to Pueblo next fall with a small class C motorhome, older model. Is that going to be awfully expensive to register and license with an estimated value under $10,000.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 PM

4,747 posts, read 7,491,873 times
Talking Yikes.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett O'Hara View Post
We're thinking of coming to Pueblo next fall with a small class C motorhome, older model. Is that going to be awfully expensive to register and license with an estimated value under $10,000.

Just hold onto your wallet, and have some smelling salts handy

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-27-2013 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Thanks for the link, I've moved the posts accordingly.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
Old thread, but for new readers...

if Fulltime RV... Domicile in SD (no income tax) and have an LLC registered in MT own your RV (no sales tax).

If Colorado resident... maybe your RV (if expensive) would like to live in MT I have several vehicles that live at 'Boarding School' (usually to avoid having to sit in line wasting fuel getting an emission test, for which I will have ZERO detectible emissions (bio-diesel or waste cooking oil )

Old 11-29-2013, 07:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Old thread, but for new readers...

if Fulltime RV... Domicile in SD (no income tax) and have an LLC registered in MT own your RV (no sales tax).

If Colorado resident... maybe your RV (if expensive) would like to live in MT I have several vehicles that live at 'Boarding School' (usually to avoid having to sit in line wasting fuel getting an emission test, for which I will have ZERO detectible emissions (bio-diesel or waste cooking oil )
Here's the deal on registering something in South Dakota or Montana. You damn well better not be a resident under ANY legal status of another state if you do it. South Dakota or Montana don't care, but the state where you have residency is real likely to nail you. The South Dakota and Montana gambits are well-known among the other states. One state that I know about went after the Montana LLC scam viciously. If an RV was parked in a driveway in that state, the Troopers would demand to see proof of Montana residency, as well as full copies of the LLC documents. If they didn't get it, they would charge the RV owner will failure to register the vehicle in that state and for failure to pay sales tax on the RV. The fines were big--and they even went after the dealers who will selling the RV's and falsifying the records as to residency. One particularly slimy dealer (who was encouraging and helping people perpetrate the fraud) was charged, convicted, and got some time in the penitentiary for it.

Another guy that I knew thought that he was being real smart in registering his RV in South Dakota, even though he was a resident of another state and had a different state driver's license. That is, right up until he got into an accident with the RV that was his fault. He was charged for the traffic violation, of course, as well as for not legally registering the RV in his state of residency. Then, his insurance company, to whom he had lied about where the RV was garaged, canceled his auto insurance policy and refused to pay the liability claim for his at-fault accident. By the time he was done, his little gambit to save some money on his RV registration probably cost him in the neighborhood of $50K. As state budgets get tighter and tighter, states are becoming less and less tolerant on this kind of fraud.

There are certainly cases where state laws conflict. For example, one state may require you to register your vehicle in that state if you are domiciled there, while a second state may require you to register a vehicle in that state if you work there for more than a short period of time. I know people who lived in one state and worked in another that ran into that problem. A couple of them wound up registering one of their vehicles in one state and the second in the other state. This circumstance is different from those where people are registering a vehicle in a state where they have no "nexus" just to evade taxes. That's wrong.

One final note: Colorado has pretty high vehicle registration fees. It's something that I really didn't like. It's one of the reasons (not the main one, but one nonetheless) that I moved out of Colorado. Problem solved.

Last edited by jazzlover; 11-29-2013 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 08:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
... registering a vehicle in a state where they have no "nexus" just to evade taxes. That's wrong.

One final note: Colorado has pretty high vehicle registration fees. It's something that I really didn't like. It's one of the reasons (not the main one, but one nonetheless) that I moved out of Colorado. Problem solved.
Yup, best to be legal about anything you do, and absolutely FINE to play within the rules (and on the fringes, as long as WITHIN.

I too was chased from CO over 30 yrs ago by growth and taxes (Property Taxes on our ranch that the county wanted to be HOMES $$$$.)

Tho it is still 'Home' (To the heart and with family and friends), I will never be able to domicile there again.

Wherever you land, there is a TAX obligation. (and/or penalty)
COLO. is vehicle registrations (at the moment). When I moved to WASH ST, it was the same way, so... I drove Beaters, now am used to doing so; even tho the voters reduced Auto License fees from $x,xxx to $35. + I don't have to worry about this>>>.
"what caused him to stop tooling around the country (part of his retirement) was the gasoline prices."

For me a beater and Grease Burners; ... WVO, discarded Jet A or Heating oil, waste engine oil...(algae soon) no GAS (ick) required... Fuel cost = ZERO from Chinese and Mex cafes. YMMV

Old 11-30-2013, 10:30 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett O'Hara View Post
I have an older class C motorhome worth under 10k and last year it cost me $120 to register it in El Paso county. So, no promises, but don't listen to everyone's 'smelling salts' horror stories either.

I don't know what the big debate is on here. If a motorhome or any other surplus vehicle isn't worth what it cost, don't buy one. Or sell the one you have and call it good even if you lose some money on it. People do lots of foolish things wit their money (or lack thereof), so what? In my case, having a family of 4 with 2 young children, it's worth at least 5x what it costs us each year for all the stress-free, quality family time and adventures we get out of it. The key seems to be getting a good deal on a relatively small, simple setup, having a place to store it, and then using the heck out of it.

Sure I think those huge ones are obnoxious, but I guess they make sense for some people, like full timers who camp host or make their living on the road. In any case they're no more offensive to me than some guy in a full size dually or other ridiculously overpowered vehicles, including some 4x's. None of it bothers me to the point where I'd want them taxed to death or essentially prohibited in some way. That kind of thinking is pretty narrow and likely hypocritical in some way. I am happy about some of the national park and other public land restrictions against really large ones though, since it can essentially be like driving a huge truck or bus right through the narrow park roads.

I also don't understand when people cite 'gas prices' as their primary reason for getting off the road. If you factor out seasonal peaks and valleys, what really is the net rise of national average gas prices in the past 5-10 years? 25%? You can save that much just with conservative driving habits and planning your travel routes to be more efficient. My hunch is that people who allow gas prices to dictate their decisions like that are either poor planners, or they're just using them as an excuse to settle down. Nothing wrong with either of those things, but you have to take it with a grain of salt when people say 'dang gas prices... chased us right off the road!..." as they order an extra $15 appetizer.

Last edited by otterprods; 11-30-2013 at 10:40 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
Last I knew, sales tax was only applied to items once. Bob, your friend purchased this vehicle used, did he not? He should not have paid sales tax unless he was purchasing it from out of state. It's a good incentive to only buy vehicles from in state, or reduce the bidding price to adjust for paying the sales tax.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:47 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Last I knew, sales tax was only applied to items once. Bob, your friend purchased this vehicle used, did he not? He should not have paid sales tax unless he was purchasing it from out of state. It's a good incentive to only buy vehicles from in state, or reduce the bidding price to adjust for paying the sales tax.
I bought mine out of state (in San Diego). I only did that because that was where the seller lived and had it registered and the price was good. So I flew out there, bought it, and drove it home directly. So I registered it in CO right after buying it. I don't remember how much it was, I could check the paperwork if someone really wants to know, but it was in the couple-of-hundred-dollars range for a vehicle that I bought for less than 10k. A new car purchased and registered in state, cost much more, so it's really about how much the vehicle is values at by the treasury dept. index and not where you bought it or where you are moving from. There are some extra fees the first time you register it from out of state, but not anything that's going to bankrupt the average person.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:46 PM

2,784 posts, read 2,567,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Sure I think those huge ones are obnoxious, but I guess they make sense for some people, like full timers who camp host or make their living on the road. In any case they're no more offensive to me than some guy in a full size dually or other ridiculously overpowered vehicles, including some 4x's.
A lot of the huge ones you see around are often toy haulers. In other words they are really only a 20-30ft trailer as far as living space goes. The other 10ft are for the toys.

Ridiculously overpowered vehicles are what's needed in the mountains, especially to tow with. And it often doesn't make sense to have three vehicles, so you only use the truck for towing.

I agree they are obnoxious, but less so than the folks in underpowered gas trucks plodding up Kenosha Pass at 30mph with three miles of traffic backed up behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or